Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Speed Cameras on I-279?

I was cruising up I-279 outbound today, between camp horne and where you pick up 79 by wexford, and there where a few newly installed poles with what looked like sensors and cameras, does anyone know what they are for? I know there are lots of news/traffic cams on that road but they are closer to town, these where north of the camp horne exit and traffic doesn't back up that far, so my next guess is speed cameras?

Man would that suck! Any info anyone may have would be appreciated. Are speed cameras even legal in PA?

Default Re: Speed Cameras on I-279?

I know PennDot has cameras all over the place for "road conditions". If I can find the page, maybe they will be listed.
    Jules

here is the current map
    http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Penndot/D...cCams?OpenPage
    Last edited by ar15jules; December 23rd, 2008 at 12:39 AM. Reason: added llnk

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I know PennDot has cameras all over the place for "road conditions". If I can find the page, maybe they will be listed.
    Jules

here is the current map
    http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Penndot/D...cCams?OpenPage

slightly different locations, and a diff viewing angle, the cameras seemed to of been pointed downwards for plates. But they are new, even saw them installing what looking like another one so it's quite possible they aren't finely tuned and up on that site yet.

Who the heck knows. Speed enforcement is taken over the top in my opinion. Most guys assigned to the road are cool about it, but some are ....more strict.

Jules

(Allegheny County)

XD,

I'm not sure what the hell they are but I watched them go up too. Looks like there's some kind of small antenna on the very top of the poles??? Didn't notice any cameras....I'll have to check them out again tomorrow.
    "If you want to play the game, you'd better know the rules"

It looks like theres a half globe style camera on them, and yeah I noticed the antenna's too. I think they where running power lines to them today.

(Allegheny County)

What you are seeing are the Traffic Cams and Speed Sensors that PennDOT and Navteq use to gauge traffic conditions and speeds, and to locate incidents that are reported.

I use these just about every day in my job... and let me assure you, they are nowhere NEAR high enough resolution to see plates (We can barely see make/model with them), nor do the speed sensors detect the speed of individual cars. They detect the volume and average speed of the traffic, based on the distortions in a magnetic field as the cars pass through.

They are however, fully Pan-Tilt and Zoom controllable from the PennDOT center in Bridgeville!

I've got this page compiled to show all of the cameras all at once, and it's updated in real time!
    http://www.lildobe.net/cams/

And for the speed sensors:
    http://www.traffic.com/Pittsburgh-Tr...affic-Map.html
    (click for a larger version)

(and on a side note... AFAIK, automated speed cameras and red light cameras are statutorily illegal in PA, but I don't have the reference on hand to look it up)
    Last edited by lildobe; December 24th, 2008 at 10:21 AM.