Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Question about PA vehicle inspection

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering if A) a roll pan is legal on a truck in PA, and B) if it is not, how can I make it legal? The two inspection stations I called didn't even know what a roll pan was, so that was no help.

The only two idea's I've come up with are to either weld some rectangular stock to the end of the frame rails, across the back of the truck, to "replace" the bumper. That way, the roll pan can still be installed and the bar wouldn't show. Or, second option that I thought of, was to rig a way I could install a bumper for inspections, via bolts.

This is a roll pan, in case anyone doesn't know. It basically goes in place of the bumper to make a smoother look to the rear of a truck. It's a cosmetic upgrade only, with no structural integrity since it's only a piece of sheet metal.

At least they could tell me that shaved door handles were ok, and a lowered ride height would be ok, as long as I didn't go so low to be scraping the pavement.

LC

(Carbon County)

Default Re: Question about PA vehicle inspection

I'm no mechanic, But i have seen trucks with current inspection with that style body kit, Wish ya luck!
    Shall not be Questioned

Simple, you just pull your truck in and ask them. Or show them a picture. Any sort of chain auto care place will tell you immediately if it's a no go based on the PA inspection code and their company policies. If that is the case, find an independent garage who is known to be into rods, or muscle cars, or trucks and I'm sure they'd pass it. I've been through this before with 1. tint and 2. exhausts.

1. With the tint (technically illegal), any inspection station would pass me because that is their agreement with PennDOT. The one and only time I did get pulled over, was literally 300 feet from my house. The cop asked me when was the last time I had the car inspected and I told him...2 months ago. He "let" me go.

2. After putting a new exhaust kit on my Chevy II, it occurred to me that the tail pipes didn't protrude past the body sheetmetal as per PA code. Some stations said NO. Yet, the local drag racer/inspection station guy had no problem giving me stickers. When I asked him about it, he said "Look, I drive this on the street and no one bothers me". He was pointing to a tubbed '68 Dart with wheelie bars and a fuckin' parachute.

In my experiences, the code is pretty irrelevant to the inspection criteria as long as your vehicle is functionally safe. You find the right garage, and bam...new stickers. As far as bumpers, I would think the cops are more concerned with lifted trucks (bumper heights) rather than roll pans. In addition, most municipal cops don't know the vehicle inspection code well enough aside from the stupid shit where there is money to be had..tint and bumper height. The PSP probably gets more training in it and apparently can arrest for motor vehicle violations. I really don't think anyone cares about rollpans though.

In this day and age, if you drive like an upstanding citizen, I don't really see why any cop would hassle you about a rollpan.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...hap175toc.html

§ 175.78. Chassis.

(e) Bumpers. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with bumpers of a type used as original equipment, or a suitable replacement which is equal to or greater in strength than that provided by the vehicle manufacturer, securely attached to the chassis or frame. See 75 Pa.C.S. § 4536 (relating to bumpers).

(1) A bumper shall be of at least equivalent strength and mounting as the original equipment.

(2) No portion of a bumper may be broken, torn or protruding to create a hazard.

(3) A bumper may not extend beyond the body line or be longer than original equipment, whichever is greater.

(4) A wood plank bumper is permitted on a road service truck or wrecker if it is firmly attached to a regular bumper or equivalent steel backing.

(Editors Note: The effective date of subsection (e)(5) is postponed indefinitely, 29 Pa.B. 2460 (May 8, 1999). Until such time as this subsection is made effective, the regulation shall continue to provide:

(5) Some part of a horizontal bumper bar on passenger vehicles shall fall within 16—20 inches above ground level.

(6) Some part of a horizontal bumper bar on a multipurpose passenger vehicle and light truck shall fall within 16—30 inches above ground level.

See 26 Pa.B. 4230 (August 31, 1996).)

(5) Bumper height. Bumper height shall be as follows:........
    Last edited by JP8; August 1st, 2009 at 05:25 AM.

(Mifflin County)

Here's the important part, as far as inspection goes: (from the same link as the above post, just the rejection criteria section)

(8) Check the bumpers and reject if one or more of the following apply:

(i) The bumper, if required as original equipment, is not on the vehicle.

(ii) The bumpers are not firmly attached to the frame or chassis.

(iii) Some part of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of bumper guards, on passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles and light trucks does not fall within 16 inches aboveground level or exceeds the following limits:

Maximum Height
    Vehicle Class Front Bumper (or Frame
    Rear Bumper (or Frame
    if any of the conditions in
    if any of the conditions in
    subparagraph (iv) apply) subparagraph (iv) apply)
    Passenger cars 22 inches 22 inches
    Trucks and multipurpose passenger
    Vehicles
    5,000 lbs. or less GVWR 24 inches 26 inches
    5,001 lbs.—7,000 lbs. GVWR 27 inches 29 inches
    7,001 lbs.—9,000 lbs. GVWR 28 inches 30 inches
    9,001 lbs.—11,000 lbs. GVWR 30 inches 30 inches

(iv) The front and rear height measurements shall be made to the bottom edge of the foremost portion of the frame rail, or to the original mounting brackets, whichever is lower, if one of the following apply:

(A) The bumper height, relative to the frame rail, has been altered.

(B) The vehicle was not originally equipped with a front or rear bumper.

(C) A supplemental bumper has been added.

(D) The manufacturer’s specified bumper has been replaced with a bumper not identical to the manufacturer’s specified bumper.

(v) A broken or torn portion is protruding so as to create hazard.

(vi) The bumpers extend beyond body line or are longer than originally equipped, whichever is greater.

(Monroe County)

I`ve bought a couple of trucks that came from the factory with no rear bumper. You used to have the option of a regular bumper, rear step bumper or no bumper from the factory. They just had a simple license plate holder and light. That was legal then.

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    I`ve bought a couple of trucks that came from the factory with no rear bumper. You used to have the option of a regular bumper, rear step bumper or no bumper from the factory. They just had a simple license plate holder and light. That was legal then.
    If that was OE, then it's still legal. But yea, no current options like that. The funny thing is, most pickup truck bumpers are bullshit now anyways. They're not held to the same impact standards that passenger car bumpers are. But I guess that has more to do with the full-chassis vs. unibody thing.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jup06 View Post
    If that was OE, then it's still legal. But yea, no current options like that. The funny thing is, most pickup truck bumpers are bullshit now anyways. They're not held to the same impact standards that passenger car bumpers are. But I guess that has more to do with the full-chassis vs. unibody thing.
    In 07 a kid ran a stop sign and I T boned him. My ran has tow hooks that are held on by a huge heavy steel bar from frame rail to frame rail. (factory) What they did to his Jetta and his pelvis was scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    In 07 a kid ran a stop sign and I T boned him. My ran has tow hooks that are held on by a huge heavy steel bar from frame rail to frame rail. (factory) What they did to his Jetta and his pelvis was scary.
    I bet.

I would pass it.

Yes, I am an Inspection mechanic.........

I've seen plenty of truck with roll pans on them go through inspection. If your truck failed because of that, it is time to find a new mechanic.

~ Derek
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9206&dateline=1225911  268

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast