Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default P95 vs P97 or P345

new guy here wondering what to buy
    I'm considering my first handgun purchase and want a nice, reliable gun for occasional range shooting and self-defense CC when appropriate.
    I'm 45 yrs old, was army-trained (expert rating with M-16), did a lot of rifle shooting in my younger years and have no handgun experience. I'm a small dude, small hands. I'm planning on taking the NRA Basic Pistol course at a min. and maybe more later, depending on time, budget and how I enjoy it.

I'm leaning towards one of the P series rugers as I've always heard good things about them, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise ;o)

factors I'm considering

Small hands (but strong grip)
    have grandkids in house (2 & 4 yrs old)
    prefer somewhat concealable, also goes with small hands
    around $500 range at least for a first gun
    super-acccuracy not needed (that's what a rifle is for IMHO)
    ammo should be readily available and cheap to encourage regular range visits
    and lots of practice

any advice from the experts out there?
    BTW, I'm in the pittsburgh area if anyone wants to share tips on ranges, places to buy, etc.

Default Re: P95 vs P97 or P345

I'm no expert, but I've had a P89 for 16 years & haven't had a single failure to feed/fire. I don't know about the new ones, but the older P Series pistols are industrial strength & as far as accuracy, it shoots better than me.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Montgomery County)

I cannot recommend a good range/shop in the Pittsburgh area. However, I can advise you on a methodology to choose the right handgun for you: Find a range that rents handguns and rent a few, maybe even pick one or two not on your list and shoot them. And/Or link up with a local PAFOA member and shoot some of their pistols/revolvers to determine what you like.

Try to test drive as many as you can before you buy to avoid selling later. Find what you like, then buy shit loads of other handguns that you like, then buy a bunch of ammo, then develop a taste for black rifles... and the madness continues. Welcome by the way to the PAFOA. (rhymes, yo)
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Somerset County)

I love my p 95 but if you have small hands it might not be best choice .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Lancaster County)

Why are you limiting yourself to those three guns? It sounds to me like what you need is a Glock 19. They are pretty much everywhere right now. In Lancaster new is 499. Used around 4.

(Bucks County)

I'm no expert, but I've been doing a lot of research because I'm in the market for an entry level automatic as well. There are a ton of choices in your price range, and here are the ones at the top of my list:

Glock 19 or 22 (9mm or 40) $500
    Sig P2022 (9mm, 40 or 357 Sig) $440
    Bersa Thunder (multiple calibers) $340
    Kahr CW9 (9mm, single stack, very lightweight and thin for CCW) $420
    Ruger P95 or SR9
    Kel-Tec P-11 or PF-9 (both under 300 -- probably not great range guns but small for CCW)

(Centre County)

The members here from the western area hold a shoot the 2nd Sunday of every month at PMSC. There are many people there with a lot of guns and they typically will let you shoot something to try it out. Check out the thread about upcoming events/shoots.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by robbhammack View Post
    new guy here wondering what to buy
    I'm considering my first handgun purchase and want a nice, reliable gun for occasional range shooting and self-defense CC when appropriate.
    I'm 45 yrs old, was army-trained (expert rating with M-16), did a lot of rifle shooting in my younger years and have no handgun experience. I'm a small dude, small hands. I'm planning on taking the NRA Basic Pistol course at a min. and maybe more later, depending on time, budget and how I enjoy it.

I'm leaning towards one of the P series rugers as I've always heard good things about them, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise ;o)

factors I'm considering

Small hands (but strong grip)
    have grandkids in house (2 & 4 yrs old)
    prefer somewhat concealable, also goes with small hands
    around $500 range at least for a first gun
    super-acccuracy not needed (that's what a rifle is for IMHO)
    ammo should be readily available and cheap to encourage regular range visits
    and lots of practice

any advice from the experts out there?
    BTW, I'm in the pittsburgh area if anyone wants to share tips on ranges, places to buy, etc.
    I've had my Ruger KP95DC for over 12 years, and it has performed well the entire time. The only time it ever FTF was after the feed ramp got way too dirty-a quick cleaning and all was well again.

This was my carry gun for quite some time - it was a bit bulky, but then again so am I. With small hands you might have a problem - shoot one before you buy.

All in all - a fantastic gun for fantastic price.

Eric

(Monroe County)

Decent guns. I would try and talk you out of buying such an old platform.
    Parts/magazines are harder to come by as well as holsters(much harder).

If you're looking into the 500 range I would recommend a glock or XD.
    Common guns, made in almost every pistol caliber you would want for self defense.

Parts are easy to find and cheap. Holsters, well you've got hundreds to choose from.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

I'll second the Glock suggestion. I have 2, (Well 2.5 because I got a conversion barrel for the G23) a G23 & a G30. I like them both & have trouble deciding which one to carry when I leave the house. You might want to take a look at one of the SF (Short Frame) models if you have small hands. I can't tell much of a difference in the feel between a regular & a SF, but maybe you can.

One of the compact models, like the G19, 23 or 30 might be to your liking, depending on what cal you want to go with.

My P89 has pretty much been doing bed side stand duty since I got the Glocks.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast