Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Driving to Florida

I'm driving to Florida next month with my girlfriend, and there is no way in hell I want to go unarmed. Seeing as this drive takes me through WV and SC (I've contemplating taking a route around SC through GA, but its really not practical) I cannot carry the whole way, but do peaceable journey laws apply, if, while in WV and SC, I lock in the trunk, separate from ammo? I used the info off packing.org and found this, but I just want to make sure I've got it all straight.

Federal Law:
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    WV:
    "West Virginia permits anyone who can lawfully possess a handgun to carry an unconcealed handgun. If you choose to carry an unconcealed handgun in your vehicle and are stopped by a law-enforcement officer, you must understand that that the weapon will immediately attract the attention of the police officer. The presence of the weapon may lead to action by the officer to ensure his or her safety such as the drawing of his or her weapon, ordering you from the vehicle, and/or performing a pat-down search. Weapons intended for hunting must be unloaded and in a case when transported in a vehicle. It is strongly recommended that, if you do not have a valid concealed carry permit, while traveling in a vehicle, that all firearms be unloaded and cased in a location in the vehicle that is not readily accessible to any of the occupants. Any ammunition should be stored in a separate location from the firearm."
    Bold added for emphasis

This kinda sounds like anyone can open carry in WV, they don't specify that this applies to residents of WV. Is the catch 22 here that if you are in your car, its considered concealed?

SC defers to the Federal law

So, lawfully, I can drive through WV and SC with my firearm locked in its case in the trunk separate from ammunition, and carry through VA, NC, GA, and FL?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Driving to Florida

Quote Originally Posted by axmdr40 View Post
    This kinda sounds like anyone can open carry in WV, they don't specify that this applies to residents of WV. Is the catch 22 here that if you are in your car, its considered concealed?
    i open carry in WV. when crossing the state line, i pull my pistol and holster out and set it on the set next to me.

i haven't ever had any problems with having a loaded pistol on the seat next to me in my car, but i also have never been pulled over in WV, so i've never really had an opportunity for problems. (however, according to the law in WV, this should not be a problem.)

one thing you have to watch out for is that there are some localities in WV with grandfathered gun laws on the books. i don't know which ones. when i go to WV my destination is generally to the middle of nowhere and not to a town.

you might post something on the west virginia forum of opencarry.org to get some answers from some west-by-god-virginians.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum56/

(Philadelphia County)

I drove to Florida from Delaware once. We pulled a marathon and drove all 19 hours straight, with the occasional coffee and food break.

Remember to bring an extra thick Sharpie marker with you...

just so you can re-draw your ass-crack when you get there.

Sorry I couldnt add anything valuable to the thread, we didn't take any guns with us.

However, I will tell you we got pulled over in Virginia, and the cop was a total Nazi there. Probably the worst cop experience I've ever had. (from a very limited number of encounters)
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Allegheny County)

If you are going down 19 in WV, watch your speed in Summersville. They enjoy writing tickets there!

(Westmoreland County)

Amen to that. I got nailed in Summersville on 19 N right where the speed limit changes from 65 to 45. The cop was sitting 200 feet from the speed limit sign and they got me going 64.

When I drive through those types of states I keep my pistol in the glove box and watch my speed. The whole "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" sort of thing.

Have a good trip.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BearTitan View Post
    When I drive through those types of states I keep my pistol in the glove box
    ironically, though, you are breaking WV state law by keeping it in your glove box while you are perfectly legal if you keep it on the seat next to you.

and, yeah, don't speed...at all...on 19.

Ironically, on a trip to hilton head a couple of years ago I was flying through WV like a bat outta hell down 19 the whole time, never even saw a cop...actually didn't see any until I got to South Carolina, which was odd I must say.

(Allegheny County)

I make that drive a couple times a year to Naples.
    I have one simple rule "You don't recognize my carry permit I don't stop for anything in your state." If it makes you feel better I've been making this run since 1987 and have never felt the need to have my gun handy. I am lucky enough to own a car that gets over 575 miles per tank of gas. So now with Va. getting on board I have zero need to stop in SC. or WVa. for food, fuel or bathroom breaks.
    If I'm running at night south bound I do stop at the first rest area in Ga. on I-95 and put the gun on. I top off my fuel in Va. just before the WVa line on the way home and at the last exit just before the SC. line in NC. on the way down. I remove and place my gun in the trunk at the WVa and SC line. It is just not worth the hassle to take a chance of getting pulled over with the gun on in a state that doesn't recognize my permit.
    As far as route 19 through WVa goes I just follow the speed limit since Summerville isn't as bad as some of the small towns on either side of it.
    RT 301 in Fl. from Baldwin to Ocala is far worst for speed trap incidents.
    Lawtey, Waldo, and Stark are far worse towns to have to drive though than Summerville.
    BTW it takes me 19 hours with stops to get to Naples at 65 mph (Gas mileage Speed). 18 hours or less at the speed limit of a max of 70 mph.
    I have to say it is a nice drive other than I-77 though downtown Charlotte.

(Allegheny County)

I-77 though downtown Charlotte.
    That can be a bear the wrong time of day!

(Chester County)

I drive to Fl a lot. I go I95. The states to be careful in are maryland and SC. I say SC cause they dont have reciprocity. I believe you can glove compartment carry in SC. Maryland is a shithole anti gun state. I go right through with it packed in my trunk. A FL CCW is good all the way down except SC/ Maryland. I dont like doing that drive unarmed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast