Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FIRST RIFLE

(Bedford County)

Default FIRST RIFLE

Most of us had a Daisy Red Ryder as kids. Those were great times, shooting tin cans and paper targets. Remember that first song bird you shot but didn't want to tell mom?

What was your first centerfire or rimfire rifle? Who gave it to you? Do you still have it?

I was given a Hamilton break open .22 at the age of five from my dad. I still have it.

My dad also gave me a Winchester model A22 that I also still have.

Let's hear of your first rifle...

Default Re: FIRST RIFLE

Stevens model 56 bolt action .22, 12th Bday from dad, and damn skippy I still have it.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Monroe County)

My first was a rough condition Arisaka 99 in 7.7 Jap. I got it at age 14 and spent the first few weeks with sandpaper, stain and cold Blue. I hunted for 16 years with it and always got my deer (well the years I saw deer) and I still have it and 5 rnds. of ammo from the first box I bought for it

I paid 40 bucks for the gun and 30 bucks for the first box of ammo for it

Rich W.

(Philadelphia County)

Mine was a Winchester 94 Ranger 30-30
    Bought it myself, absolutely still have it....

First rimfire was a Marlin 25. First centerfire was a Jap 7.7mm Arisaka. First semi was a Soviet SVT-40 7.62mmx54R. Ditto on Warner's experiences. Paid for both guns many times over in ammo bills. Ammo was $1 per round for the 7.7 & 54R, Norma was the only brand and it had to be specially ordered. Some gun shops refused to carry or order Russian sizes. More so for 7.62x39.

Quote Originally Posted by Warners Surplus View Post
    My first was a rough condition Arisaka 99 in 7.7 Jap. ...I paid 40 bucks for the gun and 30 bucks for the first box of ammo for it

(Bucks County)

Those were great times, my father actually taught me my first firearm lessons with a Remington 870 Wingmaster. Soon after we were pheasant hunting!
    This is something i would really like to get back into, and if anyone would like to maybe get together this fall for a few pheasant hunts in the fall on state land let me know!!!!! I just dont know the good select areas to go, i live in SE PA, so if any of you have suggestions that would be great. Maybe i should make a new thread for that?
    12 ga is a bit rough to start with, but i was a big kid.great memories.
    Drakin
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Philadelphia County)

first rifle was an Arsenal SLR101.

(Westmoreland County)

NEF Parder .410 single shot break action. Got it when I was 10-11 and still have it (along with every gun I've ever owned). I still want to get my hands on the single shot bolt action Remington .22 which was the first gun I'd ever shot. I was 5-6 maybe and my dad still has it....someday...
    I own guns!

I started with a pellet gun in 177 then graduated to a cooey .22 I dont have it any more, but I think one of my nephews may have it now. This .22 is very much like what you all call a chipmunk I believe.. My general ration was a boc of 50 .22 and a box of 500 pellets per week. On a good week, My brother would buy me a box of .22 as well and I could really shoot up the tin cans! 100 .22 in a single action bolt would last me pretty long when I shot with my brother and father, when I was alone I shot the pellet gun.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrakinClaw View Post
    Those were great times, my father actually taught me my first firearm lessons with a Remington 870 Wingmaster. Soon after we were pheasant hunting!
    This is something i would really like to get back into, and if anyone would like to maybe get together this fall for a few pheasant hunts in the fall on state land let me know!!!!! I just dont know the good select areas to go, i live in SE PA, so if any of you have suggestions that would be great. Maybe i should make a new thread for that?
    12 ga is a bit rough to start with, but i was a big kid.great memories.
    Drakin
    if you were talking SWPA, i'd be in. i know of a few ok spots.
    I wish i had a dog though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast