Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Internet Explorer "ieSpell" Plugin

I hate it when I misspell something on the web. I recently downloaded and installed the Internet Explorer Spell Check Plug-in called ieSpell, that will allow you to spell check your posts by clicking on the little ABC/Check icon in the upper right of the composition window.

Go to: http://www.iespell.com/download.php to download it. Follow instructions for install. Now you'll have no excuse to misspell something.

Now if I could only find something to fix my punctuation.

I apologize in advance if this was posted before.

Hawk,
    Last edited by Hawk; December 14th, 2007 at 02:40 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Internet Explorer "ieSpell" Plugin

Firefox does the spell check automatically, while you type, you don't have to download and install anything or click on an icon or button. Internet Exploder is trying to catch up to what Firefox has been doing for a long time.
    (That isn't the only advantage of Firefox over Internet Exploder, by far!).

(Perry County)

Cool. I only wish I didn't have to use IE at work. They won't let us install or use Firefox. Heck, they won't let us install anything.

Firefox does that by default now: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/options#advanced

Check my spelling as I type
    When this option is enabled, Firefox will check your spelling and offer possible corrections as you type in web forms. Note that you may need to download a dictionary; to do so, right-click on any text field, enable spellchecking if necessary, and then use the provided Languages menu to download a dictionary.
    We the people have not only the right but the responsibility to hang tyrants for treason.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Penguini66 View Post
    Cool. I only wish I didn't have to use IE at work. They won't let us install or use Firefox. Heck, they won't let us install anything.
    I know what you mean, our work computers are all IE and we can't use anything else. I cringe every time I have to do something online there.

(Washington County)

Im typing this on FireFox, but got to tell you, now that IE has tabs, its a heck of a lot better in many ways. Main one is memory, FireFox is a hog.

And everyone that complains and wants to get rid of IE... um, thats what XP IS. only way to get rid of it is to go install one of those other practically useless operating systems.

(Yeah, I said it... when I cant get any real work done in Linux or OSX without spending tons more on extra software, if that software even runs, or have to emulate Windows... its useless)

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Im typing this on FireFox, but got to tell you, now that IE has tabs, its a heck of a lot better in many ways. Main one is memory, FireFox is a hog.

And everyone that complains and wants to get rid of IE... um, thats what XP IS. only way to get rid of it is to go install one of those other practically useless operating systems.

(Yeah, I said it... when I cant get any real work done in Linux or OSX without spending tons more on extra software, if that software even runs, or have to emulate Windows... its useless)
    You're not doing it right.

(York County)

I had completely forgot that there are still people that use IE. Amazing....
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post

Don't know what you do but sounds like you haven't explored your options at least recently. I am typing this on a NetBSD machine with a perfectly nice GUI that I can doo all my work and personal stuffs on.

(Washington County)

Ive explored plenty of options.

In my day job as a system admin / grapics guy I cant get my work done in any flavor of Linux, and would have a difficult if not insanley expensive time doing it on macs.

in my personal time, I can find a crapload of poorly written software out there for other OS's, but mainly if I want to play emulator games, listen to music or read my email.

Heck, for gamin most companies dont ever release but a windows version of their games, and I'm not going to dual boot my machine to play games and do work on one side, and slack off on the other. My CAD designs, graphic arts programs and even my office organization softwares are efficient and handy, and dont have a comparable match in Linux, and a somewhat comparable version for OSX.

All the MS hate is about as valid as not liking Toyota because it's not an American name (when they actually build thier cars here... unlike the big 3)

it would take linux going private sector to get big development out of it, until then, its going to be a community effort... and we see how well that has done everywhere else in the world.

(Cambria County)

It sounds like user preference rather than empirical observation, which is fine...some people like Glocks, some like 1911's, some like Rugers. There are very few things that a Windows box can do that a *nix box absolutely cannot...the major stumbling block is relearning new software or new interfaces and terms to accomplish the same things.

But, the MS hate goes a lot deeper than your Toyota quip allows for. If we want to start recently, then the DRM wrapper and spyware that they call "Vista" or "Trusted Computing" is certainly enough. Or, we could simply look at security and see the difference between how MS services the users that pay for the privilege of borrowing their software as opposed to how Open Source handles such things.

If we need to go back further, I can say that Microsoft almost hit a home run with Windows XP, if it wasn't for the misguided efforts to combat piracy, which ended up affecting the end user to a degree too great to be called "reasonable". If you were lucky enough to get a "corporate edition" copy of XP and use a valid (i.e. purchased) CD key, then all you had to do was subscribe to Steve Gibson's newsletter and use a variety of programs to close security risks shipped by default with XP (UPNP, DCOM/RPC, Windows Messenger, the URL exploit fixed by XPdite), remain vigilant with your anti-virus and malware/spyware programs and hope that security updates would come more frequently (which in some cases they did, and in some, they didn't).

Or, of course, we could go back to the absolute disaster that was Windows ME. Nothing good can really be said about that piece of expensive garbage except that it ranks high on most all-time lists for worst Operating Systems, software or PC/technology blunders.

Windows 95 was cutting edge and a good start, though terribly buggy (though, that's like any software for the most part). In the Windows world, I actually found myself longing for the days of Win95, when the worst problems with the OS came from installing AOL and other third-party applications that ruined your system or threw your computer into the Blue-Screen-Of-Death chasm at will.

The fact that they're phasing out XP for reasons other than actual software or hardware advances that are beneficial to the actual user is a shame.

The problem with *nix has always been how far behind it has been from Windows in the realm of common desktop usability. There has never been any question that I know of regarding which OS is more powerful in the hands of an expert user, but Joe Blow wasn't going to be able to handle *nix without swallowing a make-shift tech degree just to get it to do what he wanted it to. Thankfully, that is no longer the case. Windows 95 was miles and miles ahead of *nix for common desktop usage, now the difference between Windows and *nix is based merely upon the distro one uses. Ubuntu or Fedora, for example, are not perfect by any means, but they are on par with the launch version of Windows XP, and in many areas, they exceed it (security and basic stability). That no flavor of *nix is directly comparable to Windows Vista is more of a badge of honor than an insult.

As for games, that was one of the things holding me back for so long from going completely to *nix, but with the crap that passes for gaming these days, I bought a console and haven't looked back. For what it costs to upgrade a Windows Vista machine (or a former XP powerhouse converted to Vista) to run cutting edge or even just new games, one could buy a Nintendo Wii or the lower tier systems from Sony or even Microsoft. Though, a number of the most popular games will currently run on *nix with some effort so long as they're not directly linked in with Microsoft's DirectX 10.
    Last edited by NineseveN; December 20th, 2007 at 03:57 PM.