Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Cool Any Group Shoots not on Sunday?

Is there any hope of having a group shoot any time other than Sunday morning?

Maybe Saturday, or Sunday afternoon?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Any Group Shoots not on Sunday?

I'm with you. If they were at any time other than Sunday morning I probably wouldn't have missed any.
    I own guns!

(Westmoreland County)

If you guys want to check out the club, I'd be happy to invite you when I am heading out. Unfortunately, there's a guest-per-member requirement but I go with GRoPA every now and again, maybe we can work something out.

I generally go Saturday mornings or Sunday evenings when alone. I might be heading this weekend if my new guns come in or not.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Allegheny County)

OK, I'll address this now that I've seen it.

When a few of us started doing these get-togethers I never imagined they would draw the crowds we see now. Initially, I asked THC and a few others if they wanted to go shooting, then THC posted an idea for Pgh members to get together and meet over some food... that quickly evolved into our first Group Shoot. He and I posted "announcements" each month since then and the rest is history.

There are a few reasons why we do the shoots on Sun morning.

First, it keeps the church folk away.
    KIDDING! ( you should all know by now, that I can't remain 100% serious.)

Actually, Sunday mornings have worked well for the majority of people.

It works well with the club "range events" schedule as well.

Another thing that came up is the fact that it's now/soon hunting season and many will be hunting on Saturdays, so that was a factor in deciding on a date for the fall shoots...

In the early stages, we heard a lot of "WHEN is the next shoot?! Which day/date? I need to plan ahead!"... in order to make it easier for those who need to schedule the time off or make arrangements, we decided to keep it consistent and plan for the "second Sunday of each month".

I know that this makes it tough for those who attend church services and I would really like to accommodate those people as well as meet them.

If anyone who can't attend on Sundays would like to get together, perhaps a few of us can get together on a Saturday? 70 people or 5, makes no difference. I like meeting the good people of this forum. Just PM me. There are several others here who also belong to PMSC and we can bring a guest. Perhaps we can get a mini-shoot going?

Things are likely going to wind down soon as the weather gets cold. (not for me, but there are a lot of pansies who won't shoot when it's cold! )

You are not alone, and trust me, you are not forgotten... I think about this often. It's just not easy to accommodate everyone's needs.
    Perhaps in the Spring, we can re-visit the idea?

ETA: I see that THC posted what I mentioned while I was typing! I'm all for a small gathering on a Saturday! Your club or ours!
    Last edited by Emptymag; September 4th, 2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: What THC said! LOL
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Exclamation Re: Any Group Shoots not on Sunday?

Count me in on the "anytime-other-than-Sunday-morning" shoot! I like shooting, but, there is the not-so-insignificant-matter of eternal salvation, & the timing of the weekly Divine Service, just happens to coincide with the time of the current shoots! Thanks for the consideration!

Bob

(Westmoreland County)

Maybe we should do a PMSC member- newbie shoot?

For PMSC members so we can accommodate guests without a formal shooting event. Just something to show the noobs around the club and incite interest in joining the club.

Next Saturday or Sunday would be great for me (14th and 15th) as I should have my new guns by then.

Emptymag, GRoPA, 27Hand, LittleRedToyota, any of you guys think you can make it out to show some newbies around the joint?

I know Spectre6 is interested but I think he's coming to the shoot on Sunday.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Allegheny County)

In the beginning, there was the Pgh Group Shoot. And it was good.

Then the Group Shoot drew members in numbers that could not be contained in one day of shooting. And this was BAD.

The members who could not attend the Sunday shoots reached out. And this was good.

Then the "creators" said, "let there be a Saturday shoot". And it was so.

No, I don't think there's going to be a Group Shoot I and Group Shoot II each month! But I do like THC's idea. Let's get a few of the "Sat folks" together!
    There are plenty of us who are PMSC members and could each invite one guest along!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

I do love making a splash on my first post

Please count me in for this Saturday, wherever. I will have my better half with me as she likes to shoot as well. Feel free to PM me, etc.

(Allegheny County)

Just to throw this out there.

Every thursday evening (except the 3rd thursday) at PMSC is IPSC practice. This is open to the public so you do not have to be a member to attend. There are a bunch of PAFOA members that shoot this. You are welcome to come out to this. It is very informal. In the winter this practice then moves indoors and costs $3 but it costs nothing while outdoors.

(Allegheny County)

So, when will the next PAFOA shoot be? I was sad to have to miss the big one on the 9th, and I'm anxious to get some "quality time" with my two new pistols. Preferably an outdoor range so I can fire that cheapy mil surp FMJ.

Cordially,

Eric
    Pittsburgh
    Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.
    Nagant M44 carbine 7.62X54R / WASR-10 7.62X39
    Nagant 1875 Revolver 7.62 Nagant / CZ 52 Semi-Auto 7.62x25

2004 Yamaha V-Star 650 custom -1976 Kawasaki KZ400 (project)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast