Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Here we go again

I take it everyone knows the new amendment to the game laws regarding carrying firearms for protection.All hunters & spotlighters who have a license to carry firearms can now carry firearms, but only those authorized by the permit, which are defined in Title 18, section 6102 of the crimes code. (most sporting arms are not authorized)And again under spotlighting on page 20 of the hunting & trapping regulations. It is unlawful to 1)spotlight wildlife while in possession of a firearm, except by individuals who have a license to Carry Firearms permit,and only with firearms authorized by the permit?????? Since when are certain firearms authorized? Can anybody elaborate? Of course you can never get a hold of anybody at the game commission

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Here we go again

Yes, a LTCF authorizes only "firearms" as defined by SS6102 of the UFA.

I qoute the definition below. Essentially it includes handguns, short barreled rifles short barreled shotguns and some AOW's

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less
    than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18
    inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or
    any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of
    less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be
    determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the
    face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is
    applicable.
    REF: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI...18/00.061..HTM

(Delaware County)

So I take it any normal size handgun would be ok to carry.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by sengie View Post
    So I take it any normal size handgun would be ok to carry.
    If your idea of normal sized is "Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less
    than 15 inches", then, yes. You should be fine

A caveat: I think it was Steve_in_PA that pointed out on another board recently that if you get caught with your 10" SCOPED ruger black hawk (loaded) while ,say spotlighting, your going to likely have a problem. Might shake out OK in the end due to the way the law is written but they are going to likely cite you for what htye perceive as your "intent" (people don't carry 10"scoped handgun for self defense)

(Luzerne County)

Any of your "normal" revolvers or semi-auto's carried for protection would be fine. As PA Patriot said, in another thread on another board I made mention while legally under a LTC I "could" carry a scoped Ruger SRH for self-defense if I wanted to.

However, my scoped SRH is not normally associated with self-defense (personal protection) as viewed by the PGC, who would most certainly be able to convince a judge of the same thing. I mean, if you really want to push the envelope and stand your ground saying, well.....this is my "self-defense" handgun......I think you'll be in for a long up hill battle.

A 4" revolver or smaller can most certainly be viewed as a "self-defense" handgun. What about a 6" revolver?? My first handgun was a 6" S&W 686 .357 magnum. What about an 8"? If I really liked my 8" revolver, I could carry it in a cross-draw holster for self-defense carry.

I guess until someone gets arrested or cited for carrying something outside your normal carry for self-defense.....we won't have a truely legal definition of what that "normal" is.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    If your idea of normal sized is "Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less
    than 15 inches", then, yes. You should be fine

A caveat: I think it was Steve_in_PA that pointed out on another board recently that if you get caught with your 10" SCOPED ruger black hawk (loaded) while ,say spotlighting, your going to likely have a problem. Might shake out OK in the end due to the way the law is written but they are going to likely cite you for what htye perceive as your "intent" (people don't carry 10"scoped handgun for self defense)

Says who???
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!