Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Shotgun Modification; Body armor

1a. yes, its legal so long as you keep the minimum barrel length at no less than 18" from breachface and an overall length at no less than 26".
    1b. hacksaw works. But you will want to recrown the muzzle to make it even and remove any sharp edges and burrs.

2. there is no law against wearing armor that doesn't have a serial number. The only law about wearing armor is in the commission of a crime. If you aren't committing a crime, you are legal to wear the armor or leave it in a vehicle. ...I would speculate though the origin of the armor if the tag is missing like that, could possibly be stolen. (might be that original or subsequent owner didn't like tags too)

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by RWhiteman View Post
    Thanks, Knight.

What is recrowning, though?
    Recrowning makes the muzzle completely even all the way around and provides a radius edge on the internal and external points that meet the muzzle.

The following link is for airguns, which would apply closer to rifles - but will give you a fairly decent idea on what recrowning is.

http://www.network54.com/Realm/CFTech/BioCrown.htm

(Pike County)

On the armor, one of the things that is usually on the tag is the date of manufacture. The older it is, and the more use it has, the less it protects.
    Also, the class (protection level) is usually on the tag.

(Montgomery County)

Check with your local Bicycle shop - ask if they install forks. If they do, ask if they use Park Tool's fork cutting guide. Then ask if they're up for trimming down your barrell or loaning you the tool - it is vice held though. They should also have files for the external smoothing and a decent de-burring tool for the inside deburring. Don't forget to tip them a six pack.

Read this relating to Zylon body armor as well as testing on used body armor.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/nij/journal...ody_armor.html

Then read this file starting on page 2 regarding standard levels of protection.

http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/223054.pdf

So, if you bought used armor, you have no idea the date of manufacture, how the vest was cared for, what it is actually made of, and what level of protection it provides.

I would not count on the vest to do anything.

Jules

(Monroe County)

The vest you purchased is most likely expired police turn in.

The tag is usualy on BOTH kevlar panels as well as the body of the vest. It contains the level of protection,the date of manufacture and the officers name that it was manufactured for. Vests are only rated for 5 years of use. The kevlar breaks down from constant flexing and chemical break down from things like sweat.

The buyer should always beware when buying used kevlar because there is a VERY good chance it is almost useless now.

We sell US Armour as well as Point Blank and both companies basic level 3 vests run $500.

the only point I am triing to make by listing the price is the fact that a $100. or $200. vest from a gun show or other venue is probaly only gunna offer the protection of a heavy down filled parka at this stage in thier life.

Rich W.
    Last edited by Warners Surplus; November 11th, 2008 at 01:05 AM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warners Surplus View Post
    The vest you purchased is most likely expired police turn in.

The tag is usualy on BOTH kevlar panels as well as the body of the vest. It contains the level of protection,the date of manufacture and the officers name that it was manufactured for. Vests are only rated for 5 years of use. The kevlar breaks down from constant flexing and chemical break down from things like sweat.

The buyer should always beware when buying used kevlar because there is a VERY good chance it is almost useless now.

We sell US Armour as well as Point Blank and both companies basic level 3 vests run $500.

the only point I am triing to make by listing the price is the fact that a $100. or $200. vest from a gun show or other venue is probaly only gunna offer the protection of a heavy down filled parka at this stage in thier life.

Rich W.
    While I agree that the level of protection drops slightly with age and use of a vest, I don't believe that the vest becomes completely useless. That's like expiration dates bandages.
    Even more, I'll prove my point. I have an old kevlar vest out in my garage that's at least 10 years old. It's been sitting out in the unheated/uncooled garage for at least 3 years. I'll take it to the range this week and shoot it, then post the photos and info here.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jpavoncello View Post
    While I agree that the level of protection drops slightly with age and use of a vest, I don't believe that the vest becomes completely useless. That's like expiration dates bandages.
    Even more, I'll prove my point. I have an old kevlar vest out in my garage that's at least 10 years old. It's been sitting out in the unheated/uncooled garage for at least 3 years. I'll take it to the range this week and shoot it, then post the photos and info here.
    I understand what you are saying but the bottom line is experation dates are set for a reason. There has been a lot of testing done over the years and there is a reason that the life expectency of a vest is 5 years. It has been proven that sweat,flexing,compression of the vest causes the kevlar to break down.

Testing like you propose on a 10 year old vest will if nothing else be useless and may just give some poor sap the false hopes of trusting an expired vest that could end up costing him/her thier life.

Do not take prescription meds after thier expiration date because it MAY kill you.

Do not trust expired Kevlar vests to save your life because it MAY not.

Do not eat expired food because it MAY kill you.

If you choose to do any of the above because you "read on the net" that expiration dates don't mean anything so it MUST be true. Then you get what you deserve.

JMHO,
    Rich W.

Quote Originally Posted by jpavoncello View Post
    Read the links in my post regarding failures....
    JUles

I had an old vest (about 6 years) and I took it out back to shoot it up. I shot it up with my glock .40 and it survived the shooting. Even at close range. The removable plate didn't survive. I do have some pictures of it somewhere and will get them posted on here.

We switch ours out every 5 years. Which means I shall be getting another new one in the next few months.
    Last edited by chrisjames_71; November 11th, 2008 at 02:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast