Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Looking for the name of the Range near Ambler PA.

Hello all. I grew up near Ambler, PA. My father took me to a local range many times as a child in the 1960's-1970's. Memory of the Range name has faded, but I clearly remember it had a large stream behind the targets and a cliff wall as a backstop. It had a Meeting Lodge, several concrete Trap houses, a covered rifle range and a covered pistol range. (from left to right facing down range). I believe there was also an archery area across the well manicured property. The place was always busy on weekends, I'm hoping my description is clear enough to jog a memory.

Thanks for any help offered.

Default Re: Looking for the name of the Range near Ambler PA.

The nearest outdoor range to Ambler that I know of is Holmesburg Fish & Game Protective Association, http://www.holmesburgfishandgame.com/

Here is a link to an aerial photo. It does border Pennypack Creek.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/5100...1!2d40.1545535

Due to residential growth it is a very good possibility that an outdoor range from 40-50 years ago has been developed into one of the many developments in the area.

(Berks County)

There's closer ranges to Seattle than Ambler.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Unler View Post
    Hello all. I grew up near Ambler, PA. My father took me to a local range many times as a child in the 1960's-1970's. Memory of the Range name has faded, but I clearly remember it had a large stream behind the targets and a cliff wall as a backstop. It had a Meeting Lodge, several concrete Trap houses, a covered rifle range and a covered pistol range. (from left to right facing down range). I believe there was also an archery area across the well manicured property. The place was always busy on weekends, I'm hoping my description is clear enough to jog a memory.

Thanks for any help offered.
    That would most likely be Bucks County Fish and Game in Doylestown. It is on Turk road and the Neshaminy creek backs up to it.

I have not been a member there for awhile, but your description sounds like that is the place. It would be about a 20 minute drive from Ambler as a rough estimate. It would be south of Doylestown, west of rt. 611 and north of Warrington.

I shot there about the same time frame. I started as a jr. member in 57 and shot there until about the early 70’s. The only names I remember were Bill Rimer, Frank Kniese and Jim Morrow who were board members.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2790909,-75.1353464,16z
    Last edited by J; October 17th, 2016 at 08:55 PM. Reason: added url for location
    NRA endowment

Thank you so much! I'm certain that is it. I have a photo of me taken around 1971 at the pistol range. What memories that brings back!!!!!