Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Question Another kid killed by cops for wielding toy gun

As kids in the 70's, we played cops and robbers with toy guns and used bb guns, etc., and I don't recall our parents ever having the least bit of concern that the cops might show-up and and gun us down.

As an adult, I would typically react with annoyance anytime I came across one of those parents who wouldn't let their kid play with toy guns, but now I think I'm on board—not because I'm anti-gun, of course, but because I wouldn't want to risk my kid getting shot by an over-reacting cop.

Anyone with young or teenage kids also evolving on allowing your kids to play outdoors unsupervised with a cap gun, airsoft, BB gun or even an orange and purple water pistol these days, or are you standing your ground, as it were?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...shot/19438005/

Police officers in Cleveland fatally shot a 12-year-old boy wielding what turned out to be a replica gun after receiving a 911 call saying a "juvenile" was scaring people with a gun that probably was fake.

The boy was shot in the torso after officers responded to reports of a male waving a gun in the playground area of the Cudell Recreation Center about 3:30 p.m. Saturday, the Cleveland Division of Police said in a statement.

Officers arrived at the scene and told the boy to raise his hands. He did not comply, instead reaching to his waistband for the gun, and was shot, the statement said.

He was taken to MetroHealth Medical Center. The boy was rushed into surgery, but died Sunday, WKYC reported.

Police released the 911 call from a man who said he was across the street from the park.

"There is a guy with a pistol, it's probably fake, but he's pointing it at everyone," the caller says. The caller later repeats that the gun is probably fake, and adds that "he's probably a juvenile."

The gun was found to be an "airsoft"-type replica gun, a BB-gun type gun that resembled a semi-automatic pistol. The orange safety indicator was removed.

Deputy Chief of Field Operations Ed Tomba told Cleveland.com that the incident was "very, very tragic."

"We don't come to work every day and want to use force on anybody," he said. "That's not what our job is. We're part of this community."

He said the boy did not threaten the officer verbally or physically, Cleveland.com said.

The police force and the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office are investigating.
    Last edited by Gman106; November 23rd, 2014 at 04:45 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Another kid killed by cops for wielding toy gun

In fairness we didn't do dumb shit like try to scare people. We had some pretty realistic looking toy guns and played and roamed the neighborhood. We played our games, respected those older than us or adults. Today it seems an understanding of perception and consequences and what is and isn't funny is lost. A lot of shit just isn't funny. This is sometimes the result

Doesn't the story contradict itself. It said "He did not comply, instead reaching to his waistband for the gun, and was shot, the statement said."

Then it said. "He said the boy did not threaten the officer verbally or physically, Cleveland.com said."

Isn't reaching for a gun threatening?

ETA He would be alive if he put his hands in the air.
    "The first time any mans freedom is trodden on we're all damaged."JeanLucPicard

(Franklin County)

Do we really want to go into ALL of the different scenarios that would end with this kid breathing, because I'm pretty sure there are some things the cop could've done differently, probably some thing's dispatch could've done differently and some things the caller could've done differently, yet you pick out the one person in this incident who is not the adult?
    It should always come down to the guy firing the gun, he's always the one who's responsible for where that bullet goes and why it goes. The cop did a bad job of investigating what was actually taking place BEFORE he pulled the trigger.
    I've got nothing else to say about it.
    Last edited by ray h; November 23rd, 2014 at 05:47 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Here is a link to an article that has the 911 call audio embedded in it.

The article says the caller's doubts as to the gun's authenticity was never relayed to officers by 911.

Listen to the 911 call... what would you take away from it if you were the dispatcher???

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...by_clevel.html

(Bucks County)

Find the parent(s) and (I'm betting it's only one and she's got fingernails that are four inches long and curved back and probably has a name she can't even spell) and question them. Did you know the orange tab was removed? If so, lengthy jail term, and LOSS OF OTHER KIDS. The term -unfit parent applies if they knew the tab was removed. If they didn't know, the term MIGHT still apply. An investigation is in order.

In this case, I feel bad for the cop.

I wasn't there, of course, so I don't know exactly what happened. But, let's say this boy came at you with this airsoft gun drawn...would you have shot him in self defense?

Something to think about.

BTW, is a BB gun really a toy? I'd consider a toy something like a water pistol.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Find the parent(s) and (I'm betting it's only one and she's got fingernails that are four inches long and curved back and probably has a name she can't even spell) and question them. Did you know the orange tab was removed? If so, lengthy jail term, and LOSS OF OTHER KIDS. The term -unfit parent applies if they knew the tab was removed. If they didn't know, the term MIGHT still apply. An investigation is in order.

In this case, I feel bad for the cop.
    You can't see the orange tab with the gun in the waste band. Story says he was reaching for it. It may have been a good decision for the officer to wait for the orange tip before shooting?????>?>?>???

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    ... let's say this boy came at you with this airsoft gun drawn...would you have shot him in self defense...
    Did I miss something? I can't find any reference that the LEO knew it was a airsoft gun? Are you saying that if you were walking down the street (cancealed) and a kid came up to you with a gun...
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 17th, 1790)
    Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office!
    ..: TO SERVE AND PROTECT! Positive Stories :..

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    You can't see the orange tab with the gun in the waste band. Story says he was reaching for it. It may have been a good decision for the officer to wait for the orange tip before shooting?????>?>?>???
    Or it would have been a really bad idea to wait for the orange tip if there wasn't one.

There's no easy response to this situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    He's allowed because he's special.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast