Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SiG 970 Rifle ?

(Monroe County)

Default SiG 970 Rifle ?

I were wondering if anyone have or use a SIG 970 Rifle, if so What is your opinion, anything i should know ?

I am gettting one at a Gunstore LNIB , in 30-06 For $495. is that a good price?

Thanks,

Nyman

Default Re: SiG 970 Rifle ?

To be truthful, I'd never heard of this rifle before reading this post. I would assume that you did some Internet research on it, as did I, and based solely on that little bit of reading, I'll offer an opinion, FWIW.

Appears to have been introduced in 1999. Seems consistent with current Sig policy - lots of hype and promises on the front end and then few if any materialize. This is a caliber changeable rifle, via barrel swap. As far as I can see, it was initially supposed to be offered in .30-06 and .270 - based on your actually seeing one in .30-06, I guess we can assume they at least made one in that caliber. First issues were synthetic stocked - found an article that said they were introducing walnut stocked version.

The barrel is not threaded onto the receiver, nor does the bolt lock into the receiver. The barrel is secured by a cinch-ring built into the front of the receiver and tightened with an allen bolt. The bolt (rifle bolt) locks into the rear of the barrel.

The $495 you quoted seems awfully high for this orphan, as MSRP in 1999 (when introduced) was $499 - that would have been with the synthetic stock. Parts would probably be pretty much impossible to get, and considering the myriad of other fine rifles chambered for this round, I'd advise against this, unless you are a collector and this falls under the oddity category and won't be shot. As I said, just my opinion.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

(Monroe County)

Thanks Bob, Prior to seeing one on saturday i didnt realize this rifle existed either, holding it in my hand it felt very substantial and solid, the bolt is tight but smooth and doesnt wobble when it is retracted, but i didnt realize the barrel is not screwed in and the bolt is not locked into the action, maybe not a bad thing neccesarrily .

Actually i were shopping for a 7mm-08 calibre rifle when i came accross the Sig.

Nyman

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    ...i didnt realize the barrel is not screwed in and the bolt is not locked into the action, maybe not a bad thing neccesarrily.
    The bolt not locking into the receiver is a good thing, as it actually locks into the rear of the barrel. The receiver becomes simply a guide for the bolt and someplace to hang the trigger group. The receiver could be made of pot-metal (it's not) and still work. I don't like the idea of a barrel clamp using a cinch-bolt. The main fact that mitigates against this is that it is a real orphan. If it were the greatest thing since sliced-bread, we'd have heard about it and people would be clamoring to get one - it's not and they aren't. Nuff said.

Adios,

Pizza Bob