Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Night Sights for an XDm 45 - go factory or aftermarket?

Hey guys I wanted some opinions. After weeks of trying various handguns at the range, I decided to buy the XDm .45 acp.

While shopping around, I see a lot of the Night Sight versions. I searched the forum and found that the VAST majority believes the weapon should have night sights, especially if it's a CCW.

My question - are the Trijicon night sites from the factory worth the price difference, or is there BETTER on the market? I've read a lot of those in favor of XS Sights and MEPROlight sights. Are they worth getting the regular xdm 45 and buying those aftermarket?

Default Re: Night Sights for an XDm 45 - go factory or aftermarket?

Can't go wrong with Trijicon especially considering that you will be amortizing a price difference over 12 year life Span of your sight. IMHO 100 for trijicon sights worth the money.

(Berks County)

It is entirely a personal decision. Trijicon, XS Sights and Meprolight sights all have their proponents and detractors. Your best bet is to find folks who have a firearm that has a sight that you are interested in and try it out. You may find that you like the XS 24/7 but not the XS Big Dot, you may find that you prefer the Meprolight but not the Trijicon or vice-versa.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Lehigh County)

Near the end of Sept. I stopped at Boyer Hardware and Guns to order an XDm 40 S&W with factory night sights. I was told that the only XDm available with factory night sights was the black 9MM compact so I called The Handgunner and they told me the same thing. I then ordered the gun I wanted from Boyer with standard sights because his price was $40 less. Boyer gave me the name of a gunsmith who could install night sights which I still have neglected to do. As I was told by some members here, changing out the sights on an XD is not a home job. I called the smith Boyer recommended to get a price. He wants $105 for Trijicons and $40 to install them. He said that after breaking a bunch of sight tools trying to remove the factory sights on XD's he now puts them in a milling machine and cuts them out. I guess I'll spring for it at some point because for me the standard sights are hard to see in low light. I can see my Glock sights much better. Just thought I'd pass this on.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1iarrowking View Post
    Near the end of Sept. I stopped at Boyer Hardware and Guns to order an XDm 40 S&W with factory night sights. I was told that the only XDm available with factory night sights was the black 9MM compact so I called The Handgunner and they told me the same thing. I then ordered the gun I wanted from Boyer with standard sights because his price was $40 less. Boyer gave me the name of a gunsmith who could install night sights which I still have neglected to do. As I was told by some members here, changing out the sights on an XD is not a home job. I called the smith Boyer recommended to get a price. He wants $105 for Trijicons and $40 to install them. He said that after breaking a bunch of sight tools trying to remove the factory sights on XD's he now puts them in a milling machine and cuts them out. I guess I'll spring for it at some point because for me the standard sights are hard to see in low light. I can see my Glock sights much better. Just thought I'd pass this on.
    Oh damn, looks like im just buying them with the trijicon's from the factory

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Personally I like a yellow rear sight. I would order aftermarket just to make sure I can get yellow rears.