Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Thinking aloud. 11.5" upper on a m16a1 lower. Is that rifle length?

Here's the scoop, I have an original 1968 m16 20" upper on a new retro built m16a1 lower with a1 stock.

At 20" It's pretty cumbersome. I have a 11.5" upper coming in the mail and was looking to build an AR pistol, can I slap this 11.5" upper on the a1 lower and meet the 26" rifle length requirement? Or will I be under and need to pickup an AR pistol lower?

I'm at work and don't have the 11.5" upper yet to measure each individually to verify I will not be building an SBR.

Anyone heard of a build like this?

Thanks guys!

Edit: Forgot about 16" barrel length requirement lol.
    Last edited by Zet70; May 30th, 2013 at 03:33 PM.
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Thinking aloud. 11.5" upper on a m16a1 lower. Is that rifle length?

I have an 11.5" upper on an M16A1 lower.

If you have a rifle that has a stock and the barrel is less than 16", and it is not a machinegun, then it is an SBR and requires a tax stamp from the ATF no matter what the overall length is.

You need a pistol lower or something stamped to use an 11.5" upper. Your choice.

(York County)

You can, but you will then have created a short barrelled rifle (SBR), which requires an NFA tax stamp. Its not just the OAL, its also the minimum barrel length of 16 inches.
    Looking online, you will find carbine/rifle uppers with 14.5 inch barrels, but they will have a 1.5 inch flash hider permanently attached ( must be welded or pinned or both, threaded alone is not acceptable ).

Sorry, just noticed the end of your post commenting on the 16" requirement.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    Here's the scoop, I have an original 1968 m16 20" upper on a new retro built m16a1 lower with a1 stock.

At 20" It's pretty cumbersome. I have a 11.5" upper coming in the mail and was looking to build an AR pistol, can I slap this 11.5" upper on the a1 lower and meet the 26" rifle length requirement? Or will I be under and need to pickup an AR pistol lower?

I'm at work and don't have the 11.5" upper yet to measure each individually to verify I will not be building an SBR.

Anyone heard of a build like this?

Thanks guys!

Edit: Forgot about 16" barrel length requirement lol.
    If I'm reading this correctly, your 20" upper is already paired with a lower receiver making it a rifle. Legally, you cannot convert a rifle to a pistol (the other way around is okay). It sounds like you already have a 11.5" upper on the way. When it arrives and you still have that AR rifle in your house, you fall under "constructive possession" meaning you have the necessary components to make a SBR. It does not matter if you didn't assemble it b/c there is no other reason to have a 11.5" upper.

You can either:

1. Buy a stripped lower and add a pistol buffer tube to make a pistol when the upper arrives
    2. Make sure the AR rifle is not at your home while in possession of the 11.5" upper
    3. Have a friend or family member hold onto the 11.5" upper if they do not have any AR rifles in their home.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    You need a pistol lower or something stamped to use an 11.5" upper. Your choice.
    Or a very long permanently attached flash hider / muzzle break.

(Centre County)

You need to get a pistol lower or go the SBR route, regardless if the OAL is greater than 26.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimamedic View Post
    You need to get a pistol lower or go the SBR route, regardless if the OAL is greater than 26.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by thorazine View Post
    Yeah but no one likes those silly things!
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimamedic View Post
    Yeah but no one likes those silly things!
    Indeed.

The SBR route would be the better choice. =D