Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Savage 29-A Rimfire Pump Action Checkered Stock

For a few months now I've been actively seeking the purchase of a .22 pump action rifle to "round out" my selection of long guns. I have several semi-autos and recently picked up a 22 lever gun, but I had a craving for an old-fashioned rimfire pump.

I'm not sure if this will satisfy my cravings, or make me want MORE, but finally, in thanks to a fellow forum member, I have my hands on almost the exact rifle I was hoping to run across.

It's condition? Meh, it doesn't scream "valuable collector piece", but to ME it is PERFECT. I absolutely LOVE an old rifle with "character". Worn bluing, light pitting, and wood that tells you that it has been around the block all add value in my eye.
    My grandfather only had a few rifles when he passed on and those went to his son - this is the next best thing.

I present to you, my Savage model 29-A in all of it's weathered glory.

Well, there are about a dozen more photos, but the auto-rotate on my camera flipped them upside down.
    I "edited" them in Photobucket to orient them correctly and they display correctly IN Photobucket, yet when I link them here, they are displayed in the original "upside down" version.
    I hate Photobucket more and more every day.

I'll see what I can do to correct them later.
    Last edited by Emptymag; November 10th, 2013 at 03:58 PM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Washington County)

Default Re: Savage 29-A Rimfire Pump Action Checkered Stock

Congratulations EM!! It does look like it has some history. How many rounds does it hold?
    "Confiscating is not stealing! I warned him!" -Valentin16

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGhost27 View Post
    Congratulations EM!! It does look like it has some history. How many rounds does it hold?

Thanks!

Still trying to figure out when it was made.
    After doing some reading, it seems that at some point they started using "letter codes" instead of serial numbers, and that's what this has.
    There's a few letters stamped in the front of the receiver below the barrel. One of them is difficult to read.

I have no idea how many rounds it will hold. I need to clean out some of the crud that's inside before I can take it to the range.

Can't wait to try it and I hope to be able to find some 22 shorts for it too. I've never fired those in my adult life and I don't recall doing so as a kid either - always "long rifle" in my rifles as far as I can remember.

(Beaver County)

Very nice addition,lots of character.

Of course a range report with pictures is to be expected,along with pictures of the "crud" cleaning process.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Berks County)

Nice gun and pictures, but on the stones??? Get a blanket for heavens sake.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
    Very nice addition,lots of character.

Of course a range report with pictures is to be expected,along with pictures of the "crud" cleaning process.
    Yep. Just the way I like them.

Hope to have it cleaned up soon. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

It looks the same as my 29-B except for the fancy wood, so it will probably hold 11 rounds. Very nice! If it shoots as accurately as my crappy, beat-up old rifle, you'll be a happy man.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    It looks the same as my 29-B except for the fancy wood, so it will probably hold 11 rounds. Very nice! If it shoots as accurately as my crappy, beat-up old rifle, you'll be a happy man.
    Yeah, I prefer the look of the "rounder", grooved fore end, but that's just because that's the style I can remember from my youth.
    In looking for images online, I don't see very many of the ones with the checkering at all.

I've only just begun researching and I'm not sure if the ones like yours were all made pre-WWII, or if they also produced that style alongside this style post-WWII.
    As I understand it, almost all round barrel models were produced after WWII.

It's funny - this is already one of my favorite rifles in the safe and I've not even fired it yet!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Nice gun and pictures, but on the stones??? Get a blanket for heavens sake.
    The trigger assembly & take down screw behind the bolt are identical to a Stevens model 75 I've inherited (from the 20's 30's?). I wonder if this was made after Savage bought Stevens and used their design?

Either way, I grew up shooting the one in the picture with my father, uncles, and grandfather, and like yours, it certainly isn't the most expensive in my collection, but it ranks on top as a favorite!

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    For a few months now I've been actively seeking the purchase of a .22 pump action rifle to "round out" my selection of long guns. I have several semi-autos and recently picked up a 22 lever gun, but I had a craving for an old-fashioned rimfire pump . . . I present to you, my Savage model 29-A in all of it's weathered glory.
    Congratulations on the acquisition!

Beautiful photos, which accent the "character" of the rifle.

I have a Savage 29 similar to that, but much newer -- made just before the model 29 ended production. It's an accurate, sweet-handling piece and is a favorite 22 of mine along with my Remington 121.

I can certainly relate to the attraction of a vintage 22 pump for you!

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast