Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Buying at Gun Buyback

I found a couple old threads about people considering going to a gun buyback event and perhaps making offers to those who are turning in guns. Has anyone ever actually tried it and had any success? Is there any resource for knowing when and where these are happening?

Long guns would not be a problem, but FFL or C&R needed for handguns. Wonder what the 'clientele' at one of these events is like?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Buying at Gun Buyback

I had luck a few years ago and scored an AK-47 and an Uzi carbine on the cheap.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

A few of us went to one in Pittsburgh a few months ago - http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/231...sept-21-a.html

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    I found a couple old threads about people considering going to a gun buyback event and perhaps making offers to those who are turning in guns. Has anyone ever actually tried it and had any success? Is there any resource for knowing when and where these are happening?

Long guns would not be a problem, but FFL or C&R needed for handguns. Wonder what the 'clientele' at one of these events is like?
    The few I have seen in person was mostly older people with old family guns or junkies turning in stolen low cast guns they stole from someone. I know for certain some very valuable guns do make their way into the pile.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Montgomery County)

The few I have seen advertised were in places that I might not want to stand around with a pocket full of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    The few I have seen in person was mostly older people with old family guns or junkies turning in stolen low cast guns they stole from someone. I know for certain some very valuable guns do make their way into the pile.
    This is what keeps me from trying to do this...I am afraid I would buy a stolen gun or one that was used in a crime. How do you detect this or prevent it.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtommyboy View Post
    This is what keeps me from trying to do this...I am afraid I would buy a stolen gun or one that was used in a crime. How do you detect this or prevent it.
    IANAL and I don't have the law handy to post, but isn't there a part of receiving stolen property or buying stolen property where you have to know it's stolen?
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Shisno View Post
    IANAL and I don't have the law handy to post, but isn't there a part of receiving stolen property or buying stolen property where you have to know it's stolen?
    Yes, but that's not to say anything about visits from the Man.

This is like buying cars at a police auction- better look inside all the door panels during the preview, or you might end up holding your ankles by the side of the road later on.
    They even have minds but do not think. -Dov Fischer

(Fayette County)

Reminds me of the guy that bought a truck at Tucson police auction. Couldn't open the window, when he took the door panel off, it was full of cocaine. He turned it in, was before No Country for Old Men!

Quote Originally Posted by Shisno View Post
    Not really. If you buy stolen property, it can be reclaimed and you are out the money.

Guy bought an ACOG, posted pics online of the odd bar code, asking what it was. Within 2 hours, FBI was at his door with print outs of the post, reclaimed stolen military property and the guy was out $600.

Since he supplied them with the name of the seller and it was an honest transaction on his part, they went and grabbed the seller.

Of course he was out the $.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast