Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default LTCF fee set by statute??

So, my dept. got a copy of the 2007 Cumulative Supplement for Title 18 (Crimes) and I am reading through it. Interestingly, they updated the Fee sction of 6109 with a lot more detail...
    The really interesting part is that it notes under 6109 (h) (7) "Any person who sells or attempts to sell a license to carry a firearm for a fee in excess of the amounts fixed under this subsection commits a summary offense."

My question is - are we all being over charged??

When I get home I will try to scan and then post the updated "Fee" section.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: LTCF fee set by statute??

Lehigh County currently charges $38...

Let me know if I've been gyp'ed.

(Northumberland County)

found it online... bold is mine.

h) Fee.--

(1) In addition to fees described in paragraphs (2)(ii) and (3), the fee for a license to carry a firearm is $19. This includes all of the following:

(i) A renewal notice processing fee of $1.50.

(ii) An administrative fee of $5 under section 14(2) of the act of July 6, 1984 (P.L. 614, No. 127), [FN2] known as the Sheriff Fee Act.

(2) (i) The Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency shall implement, within five years of the effective date of this paragraph, a system in conjunction with the Pennsylvania State Police and the Pennsylvania Sheriffs' Association to standardize and modernize the process of issuing licenses to carry firearms. Upon implementation of the system under this paragraph, the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency shall publish notice thereof in the Pennsylvania Bulletin.

(ii) An additional temporary fee of $5 shall be remitted by the sheriff to the Firearms License to Carry Modernization Account, which is hereby established as a special restricted receipt account within the General Fund of the State Treasury. Moneys and investment income in the account shall be awarded as grants to sheriffs to implement the system, including grants to reimburse sheriffs for expenses incurred prior to the effective date of this paragraph.

(iii) Moneys credited to the account and any investment income accrued are hereby appropriated on a continuing basis to the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency. The commission shall establish procedures related to the application process for and distribution of funds to sheriffs under this paragraph. Notwithstanding the provisions of subparagraph (ii), the commission may withhold annually an amount not exceeding 5% of the funds credited to the account in that fiscal year for the cost to implement the system under subparagraph (i) and for administrative costs directly related to the responsibilities of the commission under this paragraph.

(iv) This paragraph shall expire five years after its effective date. Any surplus funds remaining in the account established in subparagraph (ii) at such time shall lapse into the General Fund.

(3) An additional fee of $1 shall be paid by the applicant for a license to carry a firearm and shall be remitted by the sheriff to the Firearms License Validation System Account, which is hereby established as a special restricted receipt account within the General Fund of the State Treasury. The account shall be used for purposes under subsection (l). Moneys credited to the account and any investment income accrued are hereby appropriated on a continuing basis to the Pennsylvania State Police.

(4) No fee other than that provided by this subsection or the Sheriff Fee Act may be assessed by the sheriff for the performance of any background check made pursuant to this act.

(5) The fee is payable to the sheriff to whom the application is submitted and is payable at the time of application for the license.

(6) Except for the administrative fee of $5 under section 14(2) of the Sheriff Fee Act, all other fees shall be refunded if the application is denied but shall not be refunded if a license is issued and subsequently revoked.

(7) A person who sells or attempts to sell a license to carry a firearm for a fee in excess of the amounts fixed under this subsection commits a summary offense.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Allegheny County)

Now this is awesome....

Let's see how many sheriffs actually adhere to this, though!

(Chester County)

Hey, It's $46 in ChesCo! I think we rehash this every year or so, but the 2007 wording does seem to add a new twist to it.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Jefferson County)

$19 + additional $5 and $1 fees for legally prescribed by law. The allowed LTCF fee by law is $25 total for the paper PSP and General Assembly approved license.

Now, it may be legally possible to pass along the PICS check costs onto the licensee. And of course any deviation from the official paper LTCF could cost you too - and be justified. If you want a plastic LTCF, they can pretty much charge you what they want for it.
    Last edited by knight0334; September 9th, 2008 at 04:17 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Cumberland County is good.

$25 for paper $30 for laminated

IN DOG WE TRUST
    OBEY THE YELLOW LAB

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Cumberland County is good.

$25 for paper $30 for laminated

$25 for paper $46 for laminated in Delco
    Of every one hundred men in battle, ten should not even be there. Eighty, are nothing but targets. Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them since they make the battle. Ah, but the one—one is the Warrior—and he brings the others home. —Heracletus

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    $19 + additional $5 and $1 fees for legally prescribed by law. The allowed LTCF fee by law is $25 total for the paper PSP and General Assembly approved license.

Now, it may be legally possible to pass along the PICS check costs onto the licensee. And of course and deviation from the official paper LTCF could cost you too - and be justified. If you want a plastic LTCF, they can pretty much charge you what they want for it.
    I guess that explains ChesCo. For $46 we can fill in the .pdf application online, but it must be printed and submitted in person. They take the picture, you can grab a cable gun lock or two if you want off the receptionist's desk, and a laminated DL size card comes in the mail. Not a budget killer for a 5 year LTCF.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Susquehanna County)

Susquehanna is $25 laminated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast