Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Smile Uh-oh, I've Adopted a Smith & Wesson...

Good evening.

I've discovered a serious problem with Cabela's in Hamburg, Pennsylvania. Their gun selection is just too damn good. I seem to have trouble exiting that store without dragging a firearm with me. It's time for a self-imposed 30-day ban from Cabela's for me. At least I got to chat with a Crimson Trace representative for awhile. That was fun and the Crimson Trace representative gave me a couple of round Crimson Trace logo stickers. I've added one to the back of my truck (along with those Sig stickers that came with my P220 Carry SAS). They look pretty neat, too!

Instead of a Sig this time, I had my eye on a Smith & Wesson Model 686 .357 Magnum. I opted for the 6" barrel mostly because it looked pretty darn neat. This is my first revolver. There's been this idea of owning a Model 686 in the back of my head since I shot my neighbor's Model 686 back in 1994. It's a fun gun to shoot and not too bad in terms of kick with .38 Special or wadcutters in the cylinder. At various times over the years I would look at Model 686's, but I never saw one that I particularly wanted — until now, of course. Oh, and I picked up another one of those ridiculous M16 barbecue lighters.

The most annoying thing about this gun purchase is that I can't find any damn ammunition anywhere. I stopped by two Walmarts on the way home from Cabela's on Sunday and then I visited the Walmart here in town as well as Gordon's and nada. People need to stop hoarding ammunition so I can hoard some. LOL Oh well, it's a pretty gun to look at and it's probably heavier than any of my Sigs. I can't wait to blast it at the range.

So, let's get to the part everyone likes, the pictures...

Figure 1. Left profile view of new Smith & Wesson Model 686-6 .357 Magnum with 6" barrel.

Figure 2. Left barrel close-up revealing the make and caliber markings.

Figure 3. Right profile view of new Smith & Wesson Model 686-6 .357 Magnum with 6" barrel.

Figure 4. Full-view with cylinder opened.

Figure 5. Opened cylinder close-up depicting Smith & Wesson trademark above the grip.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Uh-oh, I've Adopted a Smith & Wesson...

Nice , love them wheel guns .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Chester County)

Congrats on the new purchase!!

(Luzerne County)

Congrtas. How is the trigger? I have several 686's. All of the triggers are like butter.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Philadelphia County)

The 686 is a fine shooting iron!
    It is an "L" frame and called the "Distinguished combat magnum"
    If you shoot 38s out of it just keep the cylinder clean so when you shoot 357s they wont be sticky to extract.
    If you want different grips, Any grips for a square K or L frame will fit!
    I have found that local shops have 38 special, But rarely have I found them at Walmart.
    Here is mine.
    It is a former Oakland PD gun.

Enjoy yours!!!!!!!!
    Peter

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by lcompton View Post
    Good evening.

I've discovered a serious problem with Cabela's in Hamburg, Pennsylvania. Their gun selection is just too damn good. I seem to have trouble exiting that store without dragging a firearm with me. It's time for a self-imposed 30-day ban from Cabela's for me. At least I got to chat with a Crimson Trace representative for awhile. That was fun and the Crimson Trace representative gave me a couple of round Crimson Trace logo stickers. I've added one to the back of my truck (along with those Sig stickers that came with my P220 Carry SAS). They look pretty neat, too!

Instead of a Sig this time, I had my eye on a Smith & Wesson Model 686 .357 Magnum. I opted for the 6" barrel mostly because it looked pretty darn neat. This is my first revolver. There's been this idea of owning a Model 686 in the back of my head since I shot my neighbor's Model 686 back in 1994. It's a fun gun to shoot and not too bad in terms of kick with .38 Special or wadcutters in the cylinder. At various times over the years I would look at Model 686's, but I never saw one that I particularly wanted — until now, of course. Oh, and I picked up another one of those ridiculous M16 barbecue lighters.

The most annoying thing about this gun purchase is that I can't find any damn ammunition anywhere. I stopped by two Walmarts on the way home from Cabela's on Sunday and then I visited the Walmart here in town as well as Gordon's and nada. People need to stop hoarding ammunition so I can hoard some. LOL Oh well, it's a pretty gun to look at and it's probably heavier than any of my Sigs. I can't wait to blast it at the range.

So, let's get to the part everyone likes, the pictures...

Figure 1. Left profile view of new Smith & Wesson Model 686-6 .357 Magnum with 6" barrel.

Figure 2. Left barrel close-up revealing the make and caliber markings.

Figure 3. Right profile view of new Smith & Wesson Model 686-6 .357 Magnum with 6" barrel.

Figure 4. Full-view with cylinder opened.

Figure 5. Opened cylinder close-up depicting Smith & Wesson trademark above the grip.
    Hey Lisa, congrats on your purchase. I was at Cabelas yesterday and picked up a S&W 22A, just for some range fun, cause I am tired of spending a week's salary on my 9 and 357. My wife and I's first gun was a S&W 686 2.5 inch, 7 shot 357/38. She loves it. Good luck with it, it's a fun gun!!! I will try to get some pics up of my toys.

Very Nice S&W

(Philadelphia County)

I love them S & W's. That's a damn fine purchase ya made there. Enjoy it !!

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyDad View Post
    I love them S & W's. That's a damn fine purchase ya made there. Enjoy it !!
    I didn't know S&W shipped guns in Cosmoline.

(Cumberland County)

WoooHoo Only thing Better then a 686-6 is a Girl Firing a 686-6 =)

Nice gun GL on finding some ammo so you can go play..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast