Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: LRB M14

(Philadelphia County)

Default LRB M14

So does anyone own an LRB M14? Is it worth the extra money as compared to a SAI M1A?

I am getting an M14 clone soon, but I don't know which I should get. The LRB is $600 more, but it is made from a forged receiver and almost all USGI parts. I hear they have a wait but idk if this is still the case.

I want something that is built to last, reliable, and 1.5MOA or less. I hear the SAI models are no longer using USGI parts, and that the new parts are cast and could have some issues. I also know SAI has a lifetime warranty, and usually replaces broken parts with USGI parts.

Should I get the SAI model and then buy USGI parts separately?

Should I get the LRB model?

Should I get an LRB receiver, USGI parts, and then have a smith build it?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Default Re: LRB M14

USGI parts are harder to find and prices are only going up on them. I don't think anyone would argue with buying an LRB complete rifle or just buying the receiver and buidling up from there.

Norinco/Polytech also used forged receivers on the M14S.

Only you can determine if it's "worth it" in the end...since it is your money. I personally like the looks of the M1As, but they weren't designed for optics...even though you can purchase optic mounts.

Those JAE stocks for the M1As are bad ass and a definate consideration if you want a useful and unique stock.

(Schuylkill County)

I made the same decision a few months ago. I chose LRB and am happy I did. Definately worth the cost of a forged receiver, USGI parts and the quality workmanship. You won't regret it if you choose the LRB route.

(Philadelphia County)

That is probably the most beautiful rifle I have ever seen.

I am definitely going to pony up the cash for that sucker.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Lebanon County)

both are real good guns.
    but i'd go with the most USGI parts you can get from the start....sorry SA inc....
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coal-Cracker View Post
    I made the same decision a few months ago. I chose LRB and am happy I did. Definately worth the cost of a forged receiver, USGI parts and the quality workmanship. You won't regret it if you choose the LRB route.

WOW, I do not usually find myself saying this, but that is a beautiful rifle! I am a big "it is a tool" kind of guy but man.

Be safe (and pretty).

Scott

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by jon'76 View Post

I am definitely going to pony up the cash for that sucker.
    The rifle can hold its own at the range as well. I shoot in local "Sniper/Marksman" competitions and I recently cleaned the course in the Open Sight division with this rifle.

Give LRB a call. They really know their M14s and are great to deal with. Very helpful. Paul was the guy I dealt with at LRB, though I hear Lou is a great guy as well. Granted they aren't cheap, but when you factor in the cost of a SAI and then the additional cost of replacing certain parts with USGI, you're approaching the same ballpark, moneywise.
    Not to mention you end up with a forged receiver, kinda as a bonus.

Are the Criterion barrels as good as USGI or better? Is it worth getting a USGI barrel for them to install?

(Union County)

USGI barrels are like Coelacanths. Nope, sorry, even more rare. You can also get a chromed Criterion in 18.5". But for what GI barrels are going for nowadays, the same quality at a cheaper price would lean my decision if i had to make one today. Quality is more important than whether it is USGI or not IMHO. But then my Springy is all GI so I got no room to talk lol.

DAAAAAAAMMN CC! That's a NICE piece of wood ya got there. GI?
    Girls, Guns and Gears......What more could you ask for in life?!