Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Belt Loops

(Lackawanna County)

Default Belt Loops

Has anyone every had a problem with belt loops blowing out? I have three pairs of pants where the belt loops behind my holster have ripped out. On your standard pair of pants the holster im using touches the 1 o'clock belt loop and the 3 o'clock belt loop. But on three pairs of my pants the belt loop at three oclock has ripped.

Now on one pair there is another belt loop close behind the ripped one and its fine, but on the other two there isnt another loop untill the small of my back. On those two pants if I ever had to draw the belt rises up when I try to draw and hinders it. Ive tried to repair it but I have a hole where its supposed to attach.

The holster I have is a Galco leather holster with a forward cant, and I prefer is much more than my kydex one, but that one is a paddle holster and I can pretty easily move it around so it doesnt put any pressure on the belt loops.

I cant be sure of course but it seems to me like this leather one is harming my pants. Anyone else had any problems?
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(York County)

Default Re: Belt Loops

If you don't have a good quality gun belt (stiffer and thicker then standard belts), you should consider buying one. That may help as the belt will support the gun/holster better.
    Figure on spending $50-$100 (depending on how fancy you want it). I bought mine from www.thebeltman.net and do recommend his products.

When I thread my belt through the holster, the belt goes through the first pants loop (closest to the pants zipper), through the forward holster slot, through the pants loop at 3:00, then the aft holster loop and lastly through the rest of the pants loops. That's for an OWB holster carrying either a glock 19 or Ruger SP101 (both guns go around 25-30 ounces). The 3:00 loop keeps the holster close in, but doesn't seem to put any added stress to the loop.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; August 22nd, 2009 at 10:51 AM.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

I usually have mine with a loop between the slots on the holster which allows it to move a little and not pull.

I use a <$20 belt I got from a Amish guy at a flea market, like it much better than them high $$$ ones I tried as well. The "Dickies" belts also work really nice for the price.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

It isn't the belt, or the holster or even you. It is the trousers. I have had belt loops pull out even on the opposite side of my body from the holster.

They just don't make them like they used to.

Nothing now is like it was then, and even then, it wasn't.

Or, as The Immortal Murphy once said, "Two thirds of everything is CRUD !"

Flash

...who longs for what he thinks the good old days should have been.

Carhart pants still have good belt loops & they make them now in styles beside carpenter pants. Nice version w/ cargo pockets in long & short.

(Northampton County)

I blow them out on my cheap Walmart "Wrangler" or whatever jeans. Mine always blow at 7 o'clock, two loops away from my Galco Cop 3 Slot. With Galco Cop belt.

I'm going to try having the holster span loops as you guys suggest just to see what it's like. Not because I think it would make a difference to my cheap pants.

(Monroe County)

I carry a custom inside the pants holster in the front, I dont own a single pair of pants with the belt loop on the left side of the zipper, my holster clip replaces the said belt loop. I purposely remove them.
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

(Westmoreland County)

Yep, I blow the 3 o'clock loops out now and then (using leather or kydex). Usually only happens on my older pants or shorts.