Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Any one with experience with the .22lr AR 15?

I am considering getting the dedicated .22lr AR and I was wondering if anyone here has one yet? Looking for something cheap to shoot but wanted to stay with the AR platform and I saw one at a gun show a while back. I want the wife to get into shooting with me and figured this would be a great way to do it. She has shot my AR but didn't like it too much, She said the recoil was a little much for her. She is 4'11" and 95lbs soaking wet with bricks in her pockets. She said it wasn't bad but she doesn't have much meat on her bones so the butt stock hits bone when she shoots. I figured that the .22 would be good for her. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Jim
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Any one with experience with the .22lr AR 15?

This has been discussed in multiple threads over at RFC...

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...splay.php?f=68

Majority of opinion is that it is not a bad rifle, just pricey. If you read all the posts you will make up your own mind.

If it were $300.00 or less, I'd have had one by now just for grins. As it is, I'll stick to my M261 conversion and BDM hi-caps.

(Monroe County)

The 2 that come to mind right now are the Smit&Wesson M&P15-22 and the Colt M4 22. If your going for pure looks only the colt will win out. But if your going for function, the S&W is better. All the AR derrived parts on it function like they would on a real AR and some pieces can even be swapped out for real parts. It is mostly a polymer gun so it weighs a hair over 5 lbs.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Carbon County)

I am not going just for the looks, I am actually looking for a good functioning rifle. I want to buy another AR for myself and the wife. I was looking at the Colt M4 .22 because thats what they have at the shop. Name brand isn't a big deal, as long as it fires and functions. Haven't seen the S & W MP15-22 anywhere.

nfafan, thanks for the link to the site, I will check it out.

Jim
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Montgomery County)

I saw classicarms.us have a lot of .22 ARs lately, they are under $600.

With ammo prices it would be a good move for plinking- you could work on accuracy and aiming without spending a monthly cary payment on .223.

Of course just to play devil's advocate, some argue why get a .22 AR because in a civil crisis its not going to hold off the hordes of raving looters... but I'm sure you have another rifle for that.

(Berks County)

The new S&W .22LR AR looks really nice and everything I've read has been overwhelmingly positive. Stay away from that Umarex "Colt".

(Montgomery County)

Have you considered a dedicated .22 upper or one of the drop in conversions?
    Are you set on buying a complete second rig? Complete, or BIY?
    Have you tried a butt pad to soften the stock for her?

I can't say much about the dedicated "Colts" having never fired one, but after handling one, I'd probably go airsoft if I wanted something that felt like a toy.

Since I'm a cheap bastard, I picked up one of the CMMG drop in kits and a few of their mags from AIM surplus, and I'm pretty damn happy with it (small GF likes it too) Drop in with 1 mag + 2 extra mags comes out under $230 and AIM has Penny shipping on both items right now.

I have the Colt which is made by Walther and imported by Umarex. 1,500 flawless rounds through it and the accuracy out of the box is remarkable with the factory sights.

(Luzerne County)

I bought one a few months ago on an impulse. I seem to go through the "I want a ____" every spring. This year it was I wanted an AR, I however knew once the new wore off it would sit in the safe and the flintlocks would be my go to grins guns. The .22 seemed like a fun cheap to feed compromise. I have a thousand or so rounds through mine now and except for a user screwup it has run great. As has already been stated the accuracy out of the box is good with iron sights when I have the discipline to shoot it right and not just fast. I have had enough fun with it that I took the plunge and bought a 5.56 as well, if I had known I would have just bought an AR lower and .22 upper, then a 5.56 upper and I would be lots of cash ahead of where I am now. I live up in the Mountaintop area, if you are interested perhaps we can go burn some .22 and see what you think. Who knows I may even be tempted to part with it for the right deal.

(Chester County)

Why not just put a Spike's Tactical upper on your rifle??

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast