Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ammo crisis

(Fayette County)

Default Ammo crisis

I have been CC'ing with a small kel-tec 9mm, but I was fortunate enough to save enough money to upgrade to a pistol that I can shoot on a semi-regular basis for recreational purposes. I just recently bought a glock 21 (.45acp), and noticed, like everybody else, the ammo shortage. I was just wondering, about when and why all of a sudden this started to occur? I rarely shoot the 9mm-a box of 50 can last me a year easily, but I really wanted to start shooting my new glock...but I can't. This is all new to me. Just getting into the sport and was wondering. Does this crap happen on a regular, yearly, seldom basis? If this keeps up Im melting the glock down to recycle the steel and plastic-as of now the gun is useless.

(York County)

Default Re: Ammo crisis

For me, its been a bitch lately finding some 9mm ammo. You CAN find ammo, sometimes you just gotta do some hunting though.

Personally, like most other gun owners as of late, when i DO find the ammo i'm looking for, i buy as much as i can afford. Only because i know if i dont buy as much as i can, the next guy will.

And as to why its happening lately??? One word: Obama

The mere mentioning of Obama's name in most gun stores nowadays, sparks a hurricane of negative feedback about him. And i fully understand why.
    Last edited by WhiteShadow; April 2nd, 2009 at 01:53 AM.

(Lancaster County)

No. It doesn't happen regularly.

This is why many gun shops around the country have Barack Obama's picture on their "salesman of the month" wall.

He got elected and everybody went batshit crazy.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why, he's the biggest threat to our rights we've ever seen.

What's happening is that people are just buying and buying and buying and buying everything in sight. On top of that, they aren't shooting anything.

A lot of people who shoot regularly buy factory reloads from companies like Outdoor Marksman. Problem is, they're having trouble getting brass to load, cuz nobody's shooting anything. Everybody's just sitting on whatever they've got because nobody knows what's coming down the political highway.

The best thing to do right now is bribe a clerk at the Wal-Mart sporting goods department to call you before they put out any new ammo stock. Then get in there and buy enough to keep you shooting for a while.

This craze will eventually die down. Either they will pass some sort of unconstitutional legislation, and people will decide they've got enough, or they won't pass anything at all. If that happens, demand will slow and prices will eventually come down a bit too. Right now, many shops are charging inflated prices simply because it's the only way they can keep anything in stock.

I was just at Trop's in Elizabethtown, PA. They are currently limiting customers to 3 boxes of ammo per caliber (per visit I assume). That kind of bothered me at first, but then I noticed that their shelves were full of ammo! Nobody's stockpiling there anymore. Their prices didn't seem too bad either.

If you're in the area, and you're just looking for something to shoot and not necessarily build a stockpile, that's probably the place to go. I'd bet they'll have some .45 in stock.

How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Philadelphia County)

I bet a lot of stupid people have maxed out their credit cards stockpiling ammo. When the economy continues deteriorating, and the monthly bills start to pile up, you can bet the market is going to be flooded with a lot of ammo.

Right now it is definitely NOT a buyers market for either firearms or ammo.

Be that as it may, what really caught my attention about your post, is you shooting through your carry gun less than 50 rounds a year. Did I read that right? Me thinks you should practice a LOT more with your CC weapon to ensure you are 100% proficient with it, and also that the weapon functions flawlessly.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Allegheny County)

I'm personally counting on about half the stock-pilers on the PAFOA board losing their job and then being forced to resell the ammo in the classifieds to keep from starving.

This is what keeps me warm inside when I'm walking through wal-mart looking at empty shelves....

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow View Post
    And as to why its happening lately??? One word: Obama
    True, O is the big reason. But there are other factors in play too. Issues with ammo supply and prices have been building for a few years. O was just the event that broke threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlaughl View Post
    I'm personally counting on about half the stock-pilers on the PAFOA board losing their job and then being forced to resell the ammo in the classifieds to keep from starving.

This is what keeps me warm inside when I'm walking through wal-mart looking at empty shelves....
    Wow, what a nice thing to say

As in the other thread, you are directing your anger at those reacting to the problem rather than those responsible for the problem.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Fayette County)

Yes, I only shoot a box of 9mm through my CC weapon. Its a P11, small, akward in the hand, but functional. There's really not that much practice that you can do with a gun that only shoots straight for about four yards. I've put some time on the range with it, and I am comfortable with its and my performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer4Life View Post
    Yes, I only shoot a box of 9mm through my CC weapon. Its a P11, small, akward in the hand, but functional. There's really not that much practice that you can do with a gun that only shoots straight for about four yards. I've put some time on the range with it, and I am comfortable with its and my performance.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jlaughl View Post

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr you could just plan ahead! (But that's a lot harder than whining.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast