Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Can I trade a handgun that's my Wife's

My wife owns a handgun that she wants to trade for credit towards an AR-15.My question is can I take it and trade it for her without her being there at the store?
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Can I trade a handgun that's my Wife's

Not 100% sure about this but she has to transfer ownership of the pistol to the shop. The paperwork would require her signiture so my guess would be that you couldn't do it for her. A phone call would give you a definite answer. It's really cool that your wife is interested in the shooting sports and her wanting an AR is icing on the cake. My wife won't even look at my guns .
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson.

(Chester County)

Have your wife hand it to you and say, "Honey, this gun is yours." Now it's yours do with it what you want.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMYC308 View Post
    My wife owns a handgun that she wants to trade for credit towards an AR-15.My question is can I take it and trade it for her without her being there at the store?
    I believe that the actual owner of the firearm must be present in order for it to be "legal," however no gun shop I know of has ever made me provide proof of ownership of any firearm I have ever traded/Sold, including the Shop I used to work for (But then again I would never trade/sell any firearm I personally didn't own). The extent of their check is asking "Are you representing yourself as the owner of this firearm?"
    I'm in NO WAY advocating that you attempt this. I'm just stating fact from my personal experience. Hope this helps!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    Have your wife hand it to you and say, "Honey, this gun is yours." Now it's yours do with it what you want.
    So the husband/wife transfer is a no paperwork deal like father/son etc...

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by glassman View Post
    Not 100% sure about this but she has to transfer ownership of the pistol to the shop. The paperwork would require her signiture so my guess would be that you couldn't do it for her. A phone call would give you a definite answer. It's really cool that your wife is interested in the shooting sports and her wanting an AR is icing on the cake. My wife won't even look at my guns .
    She shoots, has a LTCF, has taken an introductory pistol course. Now if only I can get her to hunt

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    ^^^ Correct answer.

Spouses are exempt from transfer requirements per 18PACS6111(c)

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lancaster County)

It doesn't matter. There is no registry. Besides, Wife to husband transfers require no paperwork. So yes you can trade her firearm. Just as long as she is ok with it .

(Luzerne County)

I tried to purchase a gun from a man who had a revolver that was originally sold to his wife. Once I tried to get it transferred to me the PICS came back and I was told that since the gun was originally purchased by the wife I would have to have HER there to make the transfer. You might get away with it but I dont think so....

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by schr8er2000 View Post
    I tried to purchase a gun from a man who had a revolver that was originally sold to his wife. Once I tried to get it transferred to me the PICS came back and I was told that since the gun was originally purchased by the wife I would have to have HER there to make the transfer. You might get away with it but I dont think so....
    The dealer was playing games with you or had NO idea what he was doing.

There would be no way for the dealer to know who the gun was last sold/transferred to whether legal or not. Only what you told them.

1) Transfers between spouses are exempt from transfer.
    2) There is no database of sales/transfers or registry that dealers have access to.
    3) NO information about the firearm is transmitted to PICS during a check. None. Only info on the buyer. So PICS returns NOTHING other than pass fail or hold on the buyers status to own.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast