Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Thumbs down Handgunner in Tompton

See my other thread searching for help. Called 2 weeks ago (8th week and they said they'd have it done in six) Dad called again today and they said another week. I told him that tomorrow we're calling the S.O.B and telling him that it's to be done by this thursday night or it's going to Mark Hartshorn out in Kempton. I'm not going to sit around and play this oh another week bullshit game. Right now I have open fridays to shoot match and it sux not having a pistol to do so as I'd rather practice more rimfire than centerfire. IDK if i'll be able to shoot alot in the summer because of working a night shift job at Dorney. This pisses me off to no end.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Handgunner in Tompton

Unfortunately, I have had the same experience there.

Not for gunsmithing, but for a new pistol that I was told "would be here Friday" three weeks in a row. I went and got my money back and went right to Cabela's and bought the same exact pistol they had in stock.

Also had ordered a pistol grip and forearm for a shotty at the same time and he called 8 weeks after ordering. 5 weeks too late, since I bought them at Cabela's too....

(Schuylkill County)

you arent the only ones this is a problem that has been hashed out before and will be for a long time.

I know the owner personally. We're not best buddies or anything, but he is a stand up guy. I had some things in for him to do, and it took a lot longer than he estimated for me as well. What happened is the election and Obama. The Handgunner, as well as a lot of other places, have been literally swamped with people, and Randy has had a lot of work come in as well in the gunsmithing department. He told me not too long ago that he was thinking of closing the store for a week just to try and get caught up on the smithing work.

It isn't fun, and it isn't convenient, but I look at a gunsmith like I look at a restaurant. I don't really want to go somewhere where there is no waiting line to get in, especially at mealtime. So I am leery of anyone who is just sitting around waiting for the next job to appear. Randy has a backlog, but it is because he is a good guy and does good work.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    I know the owner personally. We're not best buddies or anything, but he is a stand up guy. I had some things in for him to do, and it took a lot longer than he estimated for me as well. What happened is the election and Obama. The Handgunner, as well as a lot of other places, have been literally swamped with people, and Randy has had a lot of work come in as well in the gunsmithing department. He told me not too long ago that he was thinking of closing the store for a week just to try and get caught up on the smithing work.

It isn't fun, and it isn't convenient, but I look at a gunsmith like I look at a restaurant. I don't really want to go somewhere where there is no waiting line to get in, especially at mealtime. So I am leery of anyone who is just sitting around waiting for the next job to appear. Randy has a backlog, but it is because he is a good guy and does good work.
    That's all well and good, but it's horrible business practice to quote people wait times that you know you can't meet.