Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Man.....stopping.

I hear this term thrown around all the time. Believe me I understand the concept. Causing enough damage that the threat is no longer capable of being a threat. But with all this talking about "man stopping" I think we lose sight of the fact that "man dissuading" can be just as effective. After all isn't that one of the reasons we chose to OC?

I keep hearing people "dissed" for carrying "underpowered" guns for defense. True, it's best to have a gun that is capable of blowing out a perps vascular system on one shot but it's important to note that people don't like to get shot and they don't like to bleed. Criminals are opportunistic and a show of resistance is likely to make them re-think what they're doing. Yes, we've all read stories of meth heads taking 16 shots and still coming, but this is not the norm. It's the most extreme of exceptions.

I read this in another thread.

"Black powder is fun, but it doesn't do a helluva lot in the realm of manstopping. Maybe if it was a hot-loaded .50, but a .31 is pitifully underpowered. Not to mention I doubt you're using modern bullet technology."
    This is all probably true. But if you were trying to rob somebody and they shot you in a cloud of smoke and now you're bleeding. Kind of screws up your whole day.

This is what my dad carries.

It's a .22 with a barrel smaller than a babies dick. It's also incredibly loud to shoot without ear protection. Probably even louder if it's pointed right at you. While it's not the best "man stopper" I bet if I shoot you with it it'll dissuade the shit out of you.

So, what I'm saying is we should be a little more open minded and not be so quick to jump on other people. Anyone who disagrees with me can feel free to come over here and let me shoot you with the little 22. Seriously, occording to the internet i'll just piss you off. That's not so bad.

Remember just because the tool isn't the best for the job does not mean it's not capable of getting the job done. "sometimes you can hammer a nail just as well with a big wrench."

P-11flameonSHOOTER
    Last edited by P-11 shooter; May 9th, 2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: quote tags

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Man.....stopping.

yes i totally agree with you , i do ballastic tests with my friends they said that any gun is better then a knife....i hve a .32acp Beretta on layaway at my local gun shop , i thought real damn hard before buying that little gun i want to make sure i can bring down the biggest bad guy with it and i did research and it sure can with a double tap . most guns dont bring the bad guy down with a single shot except something like an S&W .460 XVR, that SOB can definitely bring down the biggest baddest SOB on earth with a single shot but who wants to carry that huge cannon arond all day ... not me i like something as small and as powerful enough to save my life thats all i need.

(Allegheny County)

I disagree.......

Babies dick's are probably much smaller.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by NP1724 View Post
    I disagree.......Babies dick's are probably much smaller.

Well, you're the expert.

Either way lots of people have been killed my one shot from a 22. If t comes dowm to you or me and all I have is that .22 you aren't walking away.

P-11headshotSHOOTER

I see the problem of black powder and rimfire as reliability.
    More chance of a mis-fire.

just my $.02

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    I see the problem of black powder and rimfire as reliability.
    More chance of a mis-fire.

just my $.02
    With blackpowder especially this is true. Rimfire to an extent, but we've had lots of .22's that went bang every time.

(Northumberland County)

yeah i use stingers in my .22lr semi- auto rifle they are the best .22lr bullet for self defense, some say the heavy 40 grainer are but stingers are very fast and hit harder then most .22lr bullets . i wonder why stingers have silver casing, is it cuz they use magnum powder or for reliable feeding ?

I only carry a RPG launcher and ammo for self defense

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    Remember just because the tool isn't the best for the job does not mean it's not capable of getting the job done. "sometimes you can hammer a nail just as well with a big wrench."

P-11flameonSHOOTER
    I don't know, I’m kinda fond of using a screw driver on a screw instead of using a knife.

While I will agree that having something is better than nothing, I for one would never suggest someone carry a little .22 pistol for self defense. I have a Beretta 950 in .25 that I sometimes carry when noting else will fit the clothing I’m forced to wear. But when I do this, I feel woefully under gunned.

Could not agree more.

And I go one step further. Magazine capacity vs. training.

All those considerations led me to buy a 9mm x19 with 7 round single stack magazines. 9mm ammo is relatively affordable and the gun is super concealable. I plan to put another $1000 or so into training, both range as well as classes and later some tactical stuff. Spray and pray only gives an assailant more time.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast