Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: AK 47

Default AK 47

I traded for this weapon back in the late 1980's (original owner dead of old age so no help there!) and can find no brand markings on it other than several matching serial numbers 56s 015x. I've been told at "local expert" that it's a CHINESE NORINCO AK 47 TYPE 56s. It has a 16” barrel, 7.62 X 39, Semi-automatic, All black hardwood stock & grip, Non-stamped receiver, Non-ribbed receiver cover, Muzzle nut, Fully hooded front sight, Folding baronet, 800mt leaf rear sight, Hollow compartment in butt stock with original cleaning/tool kit. I have seven 30rd clips (preban) and 1200+ rounds (1000 are in seal cans). Anyone know what this weapon is Norinco or what and its value ammo and all???
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lancaster County)

Thumbs up Re: AK 47

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Colorado View Post
    I traded for this weapon back in the late 1980's (original owner dead of old age so no help there!) and can find no brand markings on it other than several matching serial numbers 56s 015x. I've been told at "local expert" that it's a CHINESE NORINCO AK 47 TYPE 56s. It has a 16” barrel, 7.62 X 39, Semi-automatic, All black hardwood stock & grip, Non-stamped receiver, Non-ribbed receiver cover, Muzzle nut, Fully hooded front sight, Folding baronet, 800mt leaf rear sight, Hollow compartment in butt stock with original cleaning/tool kit. I have seven 30rd clips (preban) and 1200+ rounds (1000 are in seal cans). Anyone know what this weapon is Norinco or what and its value ammo and all???
    Yes it looks to be a Chinese Norinco 56. Value... Well probably at least $1000 for the rifle, maybe more.

My advice don't sell it!

ETA: I'm not sure why it wouldn't have importation marks or Norinco stamped on the side.
    Last edited by MEH; May 9th, 2009 at 01:18 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AK 47

Chinese AKs are known to have weird or missing stampings.

It definitely looks like a chicom .... if it's stamped 56s, then it's a Norinco. Looks like someone changed the furniture on it. It should be more of a blonde color.

Rifle: about $1K
    Mags: Not sure without more info
    Ammo: Not sure without more info. What do the cans have stamped on them?

BTW ... you have magazines and not clips

edit: I would keep it if you can. Should the crap out of it. : )

Pics of the mags and ammo would help

Here is what it should look like (the furniture)

Last edited by mojo; May 9th, 2009 at 04:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

thats a keeper, don't see to many out there with the folded bayo, definite chinese.

A friend has some milled polys.. they are dark.. If it is milled, Fired?? or unfired.. I've seen fired Milled polys going past 1500 on Gun Broker. atleast it's worth the 1k... the 30 rounders... preban, check broker for price. I thought dark was more commmon... ??
    I talk jibberoush. pay attention.

(Allegheny County)

Type 56S, usually with Norinco markings but could have been from any of a doz diff importers back then. It was a $250.00-$300.00 gun in the 80's. It is a stamped recvr gun, chromed bbl. Biggest appeal is that it is 100% foreign and pre-89 Bush/Bennet ban - so all foreign parts plus bayo lugs, bayo, PG, flash-hider, hi-caps - its all good.

Someone painted the wood - maybe to look more modern??

These will never EVER be imported again, so keep this, maybe strip the paint off the wood to make it look like it should, as NOS CHICOM wood sets are pricey and VHTF.
    Last edited by nfafan; May 10th, 2009 at 12:13 AM.

(Berks County)

Talking Re: AK 47

Value is around $250 and I'll take it. Just pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Colorado View Post
    He's mostly correct except for the receiver. It *is* stamped, like most AKs. IMHO this is not a liability, as all the milled receiver AKs shot about as good or bad as stamped AKs, except heavier.

The bottom-folding spike bayonet and fully hooded front sight are a dead giveaways that this came from China. Looks like it was part of the second wave of AKs that came into the US in the 1980s.

A keeper, to be sure. If you want to know what a rifle like this actually sells for, check gunbroker's completed transaction and see what someone paid for one, not what they were listed and remained unsold for.

Check the ammo. If it was bought around the same time and also Chinese, it might be steel core.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html