Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Holliday93 Guest

Default Does anyone else see a problem with this?

I recently faxed a copy of my C&R license to an online dealer. After choosing the C&R option during checkout, I had to type in my town, zip code, and state. I then had to choose my name from a drop-down list, at which point I realized how crazy this was. On the drop-down list, it had my name and address, right down to my street number. I really think that this is a security issue, because anyone can search for a C&R license holder in PA and find my name and address, which tells them that I collect guns. I emailed the company, and here is the answer I got:

"No way to keep it on file and not have it show. Do you keep it a secret that you have guns? I put a sign in my yard along with an NRA flag. Of course, everyone is different. I personally thinks the bad guys will choose the home with no guns as opposed to the home with guns.
    Either way, we always want customers to feel comfortable, so I'll have the IT guys look into changing how that works when we do our next upgrade. We do them every couple months.
    In the meanwhile, let us know if you would like your C&R removed from our system."

REALLY?!?! Since when is customer service supposed to give you their personal views on an issue? And who in their right mind would advertise that they have guns? It doesn't take a genius to watch someone's house to find out when they go to work. And all those guns won't do any good if a person isn't home when their house is being robbed. Am I wrong in thinking that this dealer has a very unsecure checkout process, since they show every C&R license holder that they have on file? Thanks in advance for responding.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Does anyone else see a problem with this?

Dam you let the cat out of the bag on that one. I doubt any crook would have thought to look. Any how yes it does sound rather poor. Now regular ffls have to be publicly listed but c&r are not in buisiness.

(Northampton County)

I have two big problems with this. The system and the douchebag response.

It could be any personal information, forget about gun ownership. Nobody should be running a system like that.

I'm envisioning the person responding to you from an AOL email address with his entire contact list in the "To:" line.

(Allegheny County)

The other school of thought is to NOT broadcast to the world that you are armed like a retired spetsnaz troopie, so as to not make your house a target for burglary when you are out.

Gotta love those "show us your guns" posts... and we can probably x-ref you to FBook and your vacation plans too.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Chester County)

Not cool. Very unprofessional response. I would hesitate to do business with them.

(Montgomery County)

I'm with you, I wouldn't want my info out there like that. Not to mention the response is just as bad...

(Franklin County)

That's a terrible response. It sounds like it was written by a smartass 15 year old.
    I think I would opt off their list and not do business with them anymore. I may even be tempted to start mailings to the other people on the list to let them know their info is out there for the world to see. If they do the same it will snowball and this company will have to change.

(Bucks County)

Want to encourage that online business to make the required adjustment a little quicker than a few months, and perform the perfect squelch on that a$$hat?

Post a warning in a new thread:

Warning (name of business) exposes your personal information

then narrate, and forward a copy to them.

(Lackawanna County)

Don't sweat it. IT will fix it as soon as they're done with Obamacare website.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Warren County)

Give us the dealer name/ website / email / fax.

We can give them negative feedback like nothing they have ever heard before.

Putting personal info out on the 'net without permission, then slow-rolling a request to pull it - that's a douche move.

Sample letter/ fax/ email:

Dear dumbass,

I will never do business with you because you are NOT responsive to your customers' reasonable requests.

Further, if I discover YOUR personal name address and phone number, I will publish it on the web.

I and the other 65,000 members of the forum I frequent are interested in seeing if you modify your business practices.

Your response or lack thereof and subsequent business practices will be published.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast