Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default I bought some pistol ammo in New York

I took a trip to visit my mom this weekend, and while at the local wal-mart in upstate New York I decided to check out the ammo supply. It was amazing compared to down here. So I grab two 100 rnd WWB. Walk it to the guy at the counter. Goes down like this.

Me:Hi, "I wanna buy this" (paraphrased)
    Wal-Mart's Finest:*rings them up* "Can I have your ID"
    Me: *hands him ID*...... *waits foooorever*
    WF: "Can I see your pistol permit?"
    Me: "I'm from PA, I don't have a New York Pistol Permit. *confused*, here I have this *hand my LTCF*
    WF: *by this point he's more confused than a bra on a 6 year old* "ummmmmm"
    Me: "Thats my PA License to carry firearms."
    WF:"ummmmmm. ok" *still looking at it like it's gonna tell him how to handle this* "Sheriff?"
    Me: "what? it's issued from the sheriff."
    WF: "ok, that'll be bliggity blah"

Hands me my folders worth of paper work, and my bullets.

WF: "I'm gonna double bag these... You don't wanna be walking threw the store with them out in the open i'm sure. Make sure you have these secure in your car, you wouldn't want them rolling around."
    Me: *giggle*

So that's it. I had them in my car for a couple days. I drove home today, got my windshield cracked by some rock looking thing flying threw the air. Ate $100 for that. And one box of bullets found it's way into just about every crevasse in my trunk. AND THEY DIDN'T EXPLODE!

It was mildly unnerving to not be armed from Friday to now. But, since New York has such strict handgun laws, how could I possibly need one?
    Some say that his discharge is luminous.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: I bought some pistol ammo in New York

Quote Originally Posted by StraussiE WousiE View Post
    And one box of bullets found it's way into just about every crevasse in my trunk.
    Of course they did. The guy was right in one respect - WWB is a bullet mess waiting to happen. Double-bag that stuff and tie it shut by the bag handles.

Other than that, sounds like NY from what I have heard. Try buying ammo in NJ.

(Lebanon County)

Is an out of state person fully allowed to buy ammo no questions asked?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Of course they did. The guy was right in one respect - WWB is a bullet mess waiting to happen. Double-bag that stuff and tie it shut by the bag handles.

Other than that, sounds like NY from what I have heard. Try buying ammo in NJ.
    As far as I understand it they broke the law in selling you that ammo. I'm pretty sure in NY you need a pistol permit or such to buy pistol ammo.

In NJ, you need a Firearms ID card to buy pistol ammo. You don't need it for rifle ammo, but a lot of dealers will ask for it. Interestingly in NJ, you don't need said FID to own a gun, just to buy pistol ammo or any gun (including bb guns) from a dealer. Surprisingly person to person long gun transfers are still legal in NJ (and NY), but if its an pistol transfer in NJ, (even a BB gun) you need an FID and a pistol permit. You can bring all your firearms (even bb guns!) into the state as a non-resident or if you move there without any sort of permitting or such, but once there you need an FID to buy ammo lol.

Its also a big crime to buy a pistol BB gun out of state and bring it in. The only exception is if you bought it while not an NJ resident...really weird. I think I remember hearing its a 3 year felony.

-Alex

(Lackawanna County)

Oh they pull that shit allll the time with me and HOMIE DON'T PLAY THAT.

The fucking guy tried quad bagging 2 50rd boxes of 9mm or 2 boxes of w/e...I'm not going to be made to feel ashamed I buy ammo or buy/own guns. So the knife comes out, the top of the bag gets cut and go in my back pocket for everyone to see. After like 4 or 5 times of doing that they now know to put it in one bag and not give me shit.

I can understand knoting up a WWB but no need for a double bag to hide the contents esp. when I OC most places!!!

(Lebanon County)

This was New York mind you. Don't go taking your knife out to cut things around me. Nonsense

Hmmm. Sounds to me like you got caught up in Wal-Mart's own procedures rather than NY's laws. I was a fourteen-year resident of upstate NY before moving back to PA. I had an unrestricted pistol permit for a lengthy part of that time. I bought pistol ammo at lots of places. Mostly was simply asked, "Is this for a rifle or a pistol?" If for a pistol, they wanted I.D. to prove you were 21. I'm way past 21, and don't recall ever being asked for I.D., much less to show my permit. Had they asked for the latter, I think I'd have declined. Always seemed stupid that the Wal-Mart guys had to ask whether that brick of .22 ammo was for a rifle or a pistol.

I still hunt in NY every year. I'll have to try and buy some pistol ammo while there and see what (if any) runaround they give me. A more recent immigrant from NY, or a NY member of the board, may be able to add more current information.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post
    Oh they pull that shit allll the time with me and HOMIE DON'T PLAY THAT.

The fucking guy tried quad bagging 2 50rd boxes of 9mm or 2 boxes of w/e...I'm not going to be made to feel ashamed I buy ammo or buy/own guns. So the knife comes out, the top of the bag gets cut and go in my back pocket for everyone to see. After like 4 or 5 times of doing that they now know to put it in one bag and not give me shit.

I can understand knoting up a WWB but no need for a double bag to hide the contents esp. when I OC most places!!!
    strong language and political incorrectness warning ...

::

Stand up for your right not to be four-bagged, Homie D.!
    Last edited by King 5.45; September 1st, 2009 at 09:13 AM.

(Lebanon County)

I wish i could see images at work, but i'm sure it's funny. I just four-bagged thinking about.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    strong language and political incorrectness warning ...

::

Stand up for your right not to be four-bagged, Homie D.!
    hahahahahahaha

where do you find this shit? lol what's that from mad tv or SNL? funny stuff tho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast