Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Gun purchase question

As some of you know, I have never actually bought any of my guns. They were all gifts for either birthdays, Christmases or my high school graduation.

Some of you also know that I am planning on buying a 9mm XD(M) in the very near future. Which I have spent the last few months researching and shopping for.

In my asking around, I have gotten some conflicting information on the ID requirements for a purchase. I have been told that you need your Drivers License and proof of residence (i.e. car insurance/registration, utility bill). I have been told a DL is all you need to do a transfer. And yet another source told me you need your DL and Social Security card.

My question is, what the hell do I need to have with me when I purchase my pistol? The DL is a given but what else do I need?

Note: I do not have my LTCF yet, that is second on my list after the pistol.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Gun purchase question

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    As some of you know, I have never actually bought any of my guns. They were all gifts for either birthdays, Christmases or my high school graduation.

Some of you also know that I am planning on buying a 9mm XD(M) in the very near future. Which I have spent the last few months researching and shopping for.

In my asking around, I have gotten some conflicting information on the ID requirements for a purchase. I have been told that you need your Drivers License and proof of residence (i.e. car insurance/registration, utility bill). I have been told a DL is all you need to do a transfer. And yet another source told me you need your DL and Social Security card.

My question is, what the hell do I need to have with me when I purchase my pistol? The DL is a given but what else do I need?

Note: I do not have my LTCF yet, that is second on my list after the pistol.
    You do not need a Social Security Card. That doesn't mean that some dealer will not tell you that you need one. I've had more than one dealer apply strange interpretations to the laws (being that I'm not a US citizen, I'm more of a fringe case). If that happens to you, I'd just go somewhere else.

Some dealers will say that you must provide your SSN on the PICs form even though it clearly says that it's optional. It's really supposed to help them identify you properly and one dealer I spoke to said it didn't matter because they know it anyway (probably from the DL number).

(Delaware County)

All I ever needed was my Drivers License and $$$.

(Allegheny County)

A good shop won't harass you about needing anything more than your DL. One time a place said I need a second ID (which is not the law they just didn't want to sell to me or something weird) if they say you need more than a DL I would shop somewhere else and let everyone here know so we don't send them any business.
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown

(Northumberland County)

yeap all ya need is your drivers license, the $$$$ and a clean record , then no sweat...any handgun you want....

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    yeap all ya need is your drivers license, the $$$$ and a clean record , then no sweat...any handgun you want....
    Thats all I have ever brought to the shop when picking something up.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Or if you don't drive, you need the PennDOT-issued state ID card
    No SS card. No car registration or utility bill. *

Of course if you're buying a really expensive gun, you will need to show your organ donor card, if you're giving up a kidney to pay for the gun

* Apparently there are some sheriffs who do require proof of residence like utility bill or tax statement when applying for your LTCF, like your DL is not proof enough

I just went through the process 2 months ago. As others have said, you really only need your PA drivers license and the money.

The form for instant check asks for you Soc Sec number, but it is not required. I did not put in my Soc Sec number on my request, based on the advice of the gun dealer. And I have not yet recieved my permission to buy a hand gun.

If I had to do it again, I would definately put in my Soc Sec number for the instant check. Some readers will probably tell you not to put in your Soc Sec number. However, I think it might have helped me. What harm does it do? They probably have your Soc Sec number anyway, with a lot of other information on you.

ken

(Pike County)

I've never bought a gun, but I've been with my dad during all of his purchases. They've never asked for another more than his driver's license, like everyone else has stated.

I'm pretty sure he always gives his SSN since there's a spot for it on the transfer form.
    "I really have the American dream licked." -- Ted Nugent

(Allegheny County)

I may have missed it, but know that your DL must have your current address on it or have an address change card with it. That was confirmed about 6 times during my most recent purchase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast