Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Glock 17 rear sight

just purchased a new glock 17. haven't had a chance to fire it yet but i did notice the rear sight looked to be off-center to the right just a tiny bit. is this normal/factory settings or do i have to adjust them back to center?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Glock 17 rear sight

Quote Originally Posted by JCassidy View Post
    just purchased a new glock 17. haven't had a chance to fire it yet but i did notice the rear sight looked to be off-center to the right just a tiny bit. is this normal/factory settings or do i have to adjust them back to center?
    Shoot it first, you can adjust it if you need to.

(Allegheny County)

When I bought mine, I shot it, and was way off target.
    I asked the gunsmith at the shop to shoot it to see if it was just me... same for him.

He adjusted it and it looks way off center, but it works.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JCassidy View Post
    both my g17s need to have the rear sight ever so slightly to the right to be dead on. so, yours might be good to go as is.

of course, it still might not be, but as synergy suggested, definitely shoot it before moving the sight.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    When I bought mine, I shot it, and was way off target.
    I asked the gunsmith at the shop to shoot it to see if it was just me... same for him.

He adjusted it and it looks way off center, but it works.
    i had a similar experience after putting meprolights on one of my glocks.

turns out the front sight was rotated a bit counterclockwise...which put the dot off center to the right a bit...which is why the rear sight had to be so far right.

the post on the sight that fits through the oval slot on the slide was a bit too much smaller than the slot and it allowed the sight to rotate a bit.

i took the front sight off and re-installed it making sure to keep it parallel with the slide as i tightened it. after i did that, the rear sight ended up in the same place it is on my other G17 (nearly centered).

you might want to check for that on yours. just look at the slide from the top. my sight was rotated so much i could see with my eye that it was not parallel to the slide.
    F*S=k

(Butler County)

My rear sight on the 17 is off center a bit to the right also. I had to move it, it was always hitting to the left no matter who shot it.
    Factory installed night sights on the 19 are off center to the right too!

(Chester County)

I dunno...of all the Glocks I've ever shot that had sights centered in the slide, I can't think of 1 that had the front sight installed properly, that grouped more than MAYBE .5" off at 10 yards...and I usually chalk that up to me.

Every time someone has asked me to move their sights and I shoot em first, they've shot true, or the FS was installed crooked.

Just shoot it, have a few other good shooters shoot some groups, and do what you need to do.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    I dunno...of all the Glocks I've ever shot that had sights centered in the slide, I can't think of 1 that had the front sight installed properly, that grouped more than MAYBE .5" off at 10 yards...and I usually chalk that up to me.
    that's been my experience as well. that's why i say they often need to have the rear sight just ever so slightly to the right of center...to bring that .5" or so at 10 yards to right on at 10 yards. (of course, for self-defense shooting, being .5" or so off at 10 yards prolly doesn't matter, but it is easily remedied, so why not...)

at first, i chalked it up to me as well. but, after several years of very repeatable results with 2 different glock 17s...and having gained enough experience that i am confident that i am actually seeing the sights as the shot breaks and do know the sights are still dead on, i started thinking about moving the sights slightly to the right.

then, after talking with giles stock about it and having him also express the opinion that many glocks need to have the rear sight just slightly to the right, i moved mine (literally like maybe 100th of an inch) and now they are dead on as long as i do my part.

even if it is really just me and not the gun, whatever i am doing i do every single time i really take my time and concentrate on dead on accuracy, so, it works for me.

like i said, though, when i finally put mepros on my backup g17, i screwed up putting the front sight on and had to move the rear much further to the right...but, as you pointed out, that was due to an incorrectly installed front sight. reinstalling it correctly brought me back to normal on the rear sight.
    F*S=k

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    that's been my experience as well. that's why i say they often need to have the rear sight just ever so slightly to the right of center...to bring that .5" or so at 10 yards to right on at 10 yards. (of course, for self-defense shooting, being .5" or so off at 10 yards prolly doesn't matter, but it is easily remedied, so why not...)

at first, i chalked it up to me as well. but, after several years of very repeatable results with 2 different glock 17s...and having gained enough experience that i am confident that i am actually seeing the sights as the shot breaks and do know the sights are still dead on, i started thinking about moving the sights slightly to the right.

then, after talking with giles stock about it and having him also express the opinion that many glocks need to have the rear sight just slightly to the right, i moved mine (literally like maybe 100th of an inch) and now they are dead on as long as i do my part.

even if it is really just me and not the gun, whatever i am doing i do every single time i really take my time and concentrate on dead on accuracy, so, it works for me.

like i said, though, when i finally put mepros on my backup g17, i screwed up putting the front sight on and had to move the rear much further to the right...but, as you pointed out, that was due to an incorrectly installed front sight. reinstalling it correctly brought me back to normal on the rear sight.
    Word!

When I first started shooting glocks...I thought I needed to move the sights too.

When I installed my different night sights I've used (meprolights, XS Big Dots, now Warren Tacticals) I just centered em in the slide, and shot them like that. I hit 10" plates at 50 yards with my Big Dots, repeatedly....and man sizes targets at 150, 175, 200 yards with my Warrens...just centered in the slide. No dial calipers, nothing...just "that looks like center to me!"

IOW, center em, shot em for a while, have others shoot em, shoot it weak hand and see if it's off in the same direction...and THEN if NEED be, push em to suit. The percentage of shooters who can shoot well enough to notice a Glock shooting .25" off at 10 yards is VERY small...