Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Does the PSP record both video and VOICE when they stop???

When you watch COPS or stuff on YouTube, you can often hear the conversation between the LEO and the individual in the vehicle.

Is that video/audio standard across PSP??? And how difficult would it be to get if one wanted a copy?

I'd imagine that this isn't common for the local police, is it?? Maybe Philly, H-Burg & Pitt?

Thanks!
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

(York County)

Default Re: Does the PSP record both video and VOICE when they stop???

I have a production and surveillance company and do quite a bit of reality-based production. One of the things with shows such as Cops, and the other spinoffs, is that they'll generally have a variation of the following...

>2-person camera crew, one on camera and one with audio and boom mic. The LEO will often have a wireless mic attached to the clothing.

>1-person camera crew, on-cam audio with wireless mic attached to clothing.

All of those who appear on camera sign releases agreeing to the airing of themselves as well as absolvement from any monetary and other gains.

Many states are different in terms of audio and video recording in that video is allowed, but audio is sometimes not.

Some LEO-equipped cam systems are programmed to only record video, whereas some can do both audio and video. I used to do car installs, too, with setups from just one camera to up to four, programmed to record either at-will or anytime the car was stopped and/or the LEO opened the door.

Not sure if any of that answers your question as I haven't a clue about PA laws w/ a/v.
    Last edited by the_mav; September 2nd, 2008 at 12:28 AM.

(Lycoming County)

PSP does record audio. I was looking at one of the units last week. Check out most Troopers belts, you will see the wireless transmitter. It is attached to a condenser mic, when it broadcasts, it gets audio from 3 - 5 feet around the immediate area. When I say Troopers are wearing them, not Supervisors and Admin. guys, but the Trooper out in a Patrol Role. Running Radar or other Traffic Interdiction task.

Be safe.

Scott

(Lycoming County)

yes...the only way to get a copy of things is request to view it in relation to a court case...request has to be done by a lawyer

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in Pennsylvania View Post
    Is that video/audio standard across PSP??? And how difficult would it be to get if one wanted a copy?
    I found this from PSP #5 on Page 4 states that the target is to have vehicles equipped with in-car digital cameras, this report was published in 2006. It goes on to say about the legality of audio. I include an excerpt:

5. The department is continuing the process of installing digital in-car cameras in all
    marked patrol vehicles to record what happens during a vehicle stop. This
    process should be completed within two years. Under Pennsylvania law, police
    officers using in-car cameras equipped with audio recording capabilities must
    inform all individuals identifiably present that the vehicle stop has been
    recorded. Individuals have the right to request that this recording be preserved for
    use in any criminal or civil proceeding. These recording devices will likely
    protect both citizens and Troopers from potential abuse. The use of these
    recorders could provide administrators with important information to be used for
    training purposes.
    http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/lib/p...tizen_Contact_ Report.pdf

Also, the Subpoena Procedures for PSP are included here:
    http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/view.asp?a=3&Q=46791

Be safe.

Scott

(Beaver County)

I know many PDs do record audio.

(Berks County)

If they're recording audio, they better be informing people that the stop is being recorded. If not, then it's a civil rights violation.

Here's a question:
    If they DON'T inform a person that the stop is being recorded, but then the person asks and they answer, is that the same as being informed? From a layman's perspective, I would think I shouldn't have to ask, they should tell me. IMHO if they don't inform without being prompted first, they just violated your 1st Amendment rights.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Lycoming County)

Ironically, you do not need to be advised before you are recorded. You just need to be advised at sometime during the stop/recording. I have spoke to Troopers who actually advise just previous to release with "Just for your advisement, this exchange has been audio recorded, have a good night".

There is a variance or allowance just for Law Enforcement.

Brings a whole new meaning to "it is more than just Jesus watching"

Be safe.

Scott

(Lycoming County)

Also, there have been instances where a complaint was filed about/against the Trooper and he had failed to activate the audio portion of recording. In this case it 1) just looked bad as if the Trooper did not want to be recorded and 2) was a violation of procedure, and would result in some form of discipline. If the conduct is an ongoing issue, it could appear as if the Trooper is mistreating Citizens. Not saying that is the case, but why would a Trooper resist using the tools required?

As much as we as Citizens may dislike our exchanges be video/audio recorded, any LEOs that do not perform their duties properly dislike the recorders even more

Be safe (and take voice lessons).

Scott

PS I did not do this in multiple posts to run up my count, honest, the thought hit me later than the others.

(Lycoming County)

There are some smaller local departments that also record audio. Wellsboro for example.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger