Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Q: Changing sights on my Savage .22?

This is probably a ridiculously simple question for the gunsmithing forum, but I recently bought a Savage Mark IIG rimfire rifle. I was obviously saving pennies when I bought it, but it's a nice little gun--I have no major complaints. I bought it to go shooting with my six-year-old son at the same time I bought him a crickett. I would like to change the sights for something better, though. The owner's manual doesn't discuss the sights at all--neither adjusting nor replacing.

My first question is, are the sights replaceable? If so, is this something I can do, or should I take it to a gunsmith? Any recommendations about where to buy sights online? The last rimfire rifle I used had Lyman peep sights.

Thanks!
    Len.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Q: Changing sights on my Savage .22?

If a peep sight is what you want, Williams sells some that clamp on the scope mounting rail. You can simply drift out the existing open sight if you need to.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    If a peep sight is what you want, Williams sells some that clamp on the scope mounting rail. You can simply drift out the existing open sight if you need to.
    If possible, I'd like to improve the fixed sights and mount a scope over them, so I can shoot both ways.

Do I gather correctly that "drift out" basically means "hammer off"?

--Len.

(Centre County)

Bubney, Yes, "drift out" means that you use a hammer and a punch to tap the sight out. Be aware though that some sights have a large end and a small end so you need to be careful which side you try to tap it out.

On replacement sights, you can call Brownells (1-800-741-0015) and talk to one of their experts and they should be able to tell you the different sights you can put in. They are excellent in helping people.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

With the gun laid out in front of you with the sight up and the muzzle forward, drift the sights from left to right to remove. Use a brass or other soft punch to do so. Williams also makes a peep that is installed in the dovetail. Then you can use the see through scope mounts if you want to. I was never satisfied with those types of mount because they positon the scope much too high to get a good cheek to stock weld when using them.

Williams WGRS sight for your dovetail slot: http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/wgrs.htm

Williams FP that can be gotten to clamp on the scope mount rails on 22s: http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/FPpage.htm

Williams 5D: http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/5D.htm

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    With the gun laid out in front of you with the sight up and the muzzle forward, drift the sights from left to right...
    Thanks! The responses have been awesome. I called Williams today (and Savage), and they indicate that the only sights that will fit this particular barrel/receiver well are the sights manufactured by Williams for the target version of the Mark II:

part nos:
    47478 - globe
    476202 - globe base
    1222 - peep
    1235 - peep base
    ===========
    Total: $168.80 + ship

The total price of the rifle then becomes about $340, while the target model Mark II was only about $320 (and has a synthetic stock). Yet another penny-wise, dollar-foolish buy. Not my first.

My current thought is that I should go ahead with this idea, and have a "custom target rifle" for "almost the same price," plus the experience of fiddling with the sights and so on. Do you think it's a good idea, or am I lavishing money and effort on a gun that won't be worth it in the end--so maybe I should just keep this one (or sell this one for $50) and get another?

(Gander Mountain will give me $50 for it in trade. Ticked me off, since I paid them $170 a short while ago.)

--Len.

(Allegheny County)

If you are going to sell it, I would try here and the local classifieds first. You should be able to get about 75% of what you paid for it as an outrigth sale to an individual. The Gander price is simply too low. If you want to see it to a dealer, tote it around to several. I have seen dealers that will give you around 60% of the new price. Keep in mind that they have to sit on it and also sell it as a used gun. I would definitely take it to Aces down in Washington. Some times they are alot more fair than Gander. Also, if you trade it, you might do better than selling to the dealer.
    Last edited by 41 Redhawk; May 11th, 2007 at 02:46 PM.