Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Question about shipping

I have a very old Springfield 1903 that was sporterized by just replacing the stock with a commercial one.

It's was sporterized 50 years ago for sure.
    I know I can sell it out of state to an FFL but can it go to a C&R holder?

Default Re: Question about shipping

Good question. Knight may know the answer to that one.

(Erie County)

Are curio or relic firearms exempt from the provisions of the GCA?

No. Curios or relics are still firearms subject to the provisions of the GCA; however, curio or relic firearms may be transferred in interstate commerce to licensed collectors or other licensees.
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-...provisions-gca

Think this answers your question. IANAL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Lehigh County)

Exclamation Re: Question about shipping

FWIW: for your consideration. This would not be a C&R as a milsurp, maybe due to age?? I also am no lawyer.

What firearms are considered to be curio and relic firearms?

Curio and relic firearms are defined as firearms which are of special interest to collectors because they possess some qualities not ordinarily associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as a curio or relic, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

(1) Firearms manufactured at least 50 years prior the current date, but not including replicas thereof;

(2) Firearms certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and

(3) Firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, or bizarre or from the fact of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

ATF has recognized only complete, assembled firearms as curios or relics. ATF’s classification of surplus military firearms as curios or relics has extended only to those firearms in their original military configuration. Frames or receivers of curios or relics are not generally recognized as curios or relics.

Collectors wishing to obtain a determination whether a particular firearm qualifies for classification as a curio or relic may submit a written request for a determination to ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch. ATF’s classifications of curios and relics firearms are published in ATF Publication 5300.11.
    Last Reviewed February 10, 2016

Source: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what...relic-firearms
    Last edited by gghbi; September 4th, 2016 at 02:36 PM.

(Chester County)

I believe this answers your question regarding the sporterizing of the rifle

What modifications can be made on C&R firearms without changing their C&R classification?

The definition for curio or relic (“C & R”) firearms found in 27 C.FR S 478.11 does not specifically state that a firearm must be in its original condition to be classified as a C&R firearm. However ATF Ruling 85-10, which discusses the importation of military C&R firearms, notes that they must be in original configuration and adds that a receiver is not a C&R item. Combining this ruling and the definition of firearms, the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) has concluded that a firearm must be in its original condition to be considered a C&R weapon

It is also the opinion of FTB however that a minor change such as the addition of scope mounts, non-original sights, or sling swivels would not remove a firearm from its original condition. Moreover, we have determined that replacing particular firearms parts with new parts that are made to the original design would also be acceptable—for example, replacing a cracked M1 Garand stock with a new wooden stock of the same design, but replacing the original firearm stock with a plastic stock would change its classification as a C&R item.

Source: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/gu...30011/download
    Page 53

(Jefferson County)

^^^^ Yep. The sporterizing kinda screws things up for C&R eligibility regardless of age.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by puccini View Post
    I have a very old Springfield 1903 that was sporterized by just replacing the stock with a commercial one.

It's was sporterized 50 years ago for sure.
    I know I can sell it out of state to an FFL but can it go to a C&R holder?
    Yes, you can. ATF opinions are meaningless without a conviction behind them, and even stripped and barreled frames and receivers are sold as C&R every day. It's not shady; especially not in comparison with what major retailers sell as C&R.
    NRA Life Member

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by greenjohn88 View Post
    Yes, you can. ATF opinions are meaningless without a conviction behind them, and even stripped and barreled frames and receivers are sold as C&R every day. It's not shady; especially not in comparison with what major retailers sell as C&R.
    Great post...

The ATF is clear on this.
    Just because people ignore it does not mean someone can't get nailed for it.
    Are you willing to financially support the OP if he gets nailed for it?