Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EDC knife ??

Default EDC knife ??

Ok guys , Im looking for a new EDC knife. Ive bought various ones over the years but im never satisfied. My current one is a great size ( blade 2" ) but it just doesnt hold a good edge. Yes its a Kershaw and cheap , but I liked the size and it is assisted open.
    Any one have any suggestions? My main requirement is overall sized closed no more than 3.5" and must be a plain edge.

Thanks

(Northampton County)

Default Re: EDC knife ??

I have a Benchmade knife that I used to carry every day, but I cringed when I used it on something that had the potential to ruin the blade. I don't have a sharpening stone (will get one someday), so I bought a few of these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RILCLY. They are $8, and hold standard utility blades. The thing is very small and light, and I don't care if I ruin the blade because I just flip it around or replace it. If I lose it or damage the knife itself, I can just get another one. I really like this knife for the "everyday" items.

Thats one of the reasons I dont buy expensive knives. I like to stay below the $50 mark. I use a pocket knife everyday. Ive been getting more into assisted opening knives lately and like them but its hard to find one the size and price i like.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by KatesDad View Post
    Thats one of the reasons I dont buy expensive knives. I like to stay below the $50 mark. I use a pocket knife everyday. Ive been getting more into assisted opening knives lately and like them but its hard to find one the size and price i like.
    If you want quality, true quality, you have to pay for it. There are several Benchmade knives at or around the hundred dollar mark. If you break or otherwise screw up a blade, Benchmade will replace it for $40 or less. Get one with D2 tool steel.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Allegheny County)

I rotate a Benchmade Precinct, and a Spyderco Paramilitary 2. Not a huge fan of assisted knives, as they are difficult to close compared to their flipper counterparts.

For the $50 range, Kershaw makes the Leek, Skyline, and Blur, all of which come in various finishes, edge types, and are made in US which is always nice.

I currently have a Kershaw and it doesnt hold a edge at all.

(Chester County)

I carry two blades. One is 3 1/4's" blade and used only for defense. The other is a 1/4" thick ,1" wide x 3" long folded Gerber razor blade used for everything else.

(Chester County)

Too much info to type. I'm a knife collector/amateur maker and just want to steer you in the right direction.

-Blade steel- heat treat matters more than anything, although Chinese steels are generally incapable of holding an edge so stay away from 8cr13, 3cr13, etc. (Point being brand matters more than the listed steel type)
    - Kershaw has good and bad knives all bearing the same Kershaw brand. Post links to what you like and I'll be glad to give you a run down on model
    - As of a few years ago, there are now a few SELECT knives made in China with 100% quality of manufacturing and materials. Still, the vast majority are dangerous to use and belong in the trash.
    - Many US made quality knives are overpriced while some are a great bargain. The biggest mistake people make is carrying and using a cheap knife for fear of "messing up" an expensive one. BUY ONCE, CRY ONCE. Get a high quality knife and it will serve you forever, and can even serve your kids when you're gone.
    - Don't seek or buy any assisted open knife. The concept is flawed. A quality knife will open just as fast and will continue to work years after you've had to toss your assisted knife.

(Berks County)

I carry a CRKT Ignitor daily with a few other goodies. Its the serrated edge model but they do have straight ones.

(Huntingdon County)

I carry a benchmade Griptilian, I have had it for 3 years and it is by far my favorite knife I have ever owned. I used to carry just standard pocket knives that I could find at the hardware store but like you said they don't last or hold their edge for very long.
    Break down and spend the extra $50 to get yourself a good knife.
    Benchmade has life sharp where you send your knife back to them and they sharpen it for free. Every time I get my knife back it is sharp enough to shave with.
    I've only had to have it sharpened once in the 3 years I've had it.
    http://www.benchmade.com/griptilian-family.html
    Because Failure Is Not An Option

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast