Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Question Thoughts on 9mm AR platform?

Have been considering a 9mm AR rifle...most likely a Bushmaster but have never shot one or know anyone who has.

How are they?

Reliable?

Accuracy?

Better off sticking with 5.56/223?
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Thoughts on 9mm AR platform?

Hi Holleta,

The 9mm AR is the first gun I that ever fired... so it's been a little while.

I can tell you that this is an accurate platform, and you should have no problem with 1-2 inch groups @ 50 yards; I can't tell you about anything beyond that because I always fired it at a range. I remember them being very reliable - I used to rent it from a favorite gun place in California, back when these types of firearms were legal in that state. Being a rental gun, you would expect that it would jam more because of the high miles, increased fouling and lack of cleaning, but I can't remember one single stovepipe or FTF/FTGIB. It's on the Ar platform, and so you'll have all the joys of that well designed firearm. Also, it sure as heck will be cheaper than plinking with a .223! In short, I had alot of fun with it. My friends and I would always rent this gun because it and its ammo was cheap, and it was an AR, so it was cool.

If you are interested, I think the next question you need to ask yourself is this: What kind of 9mm AR do I want? You have 2 choices:

1) A gun made specifically for this caliber - meaning most likely that the magwell will except only 9mm mags

2) Buy a standard AR or just a standard .223 AR lower, then buy the 9mm upper and the magwell converter and the magazines.

If you get the .223 AR and convert it, you have the option of both, because you can get a .223 upper as well!

Here's a machining company's site that ffers the magwell converters.

AR-15.com, all about the 9mm
    I recommend you hold down your control key and roll your mouse wheel (this is how you increase/decrease text size on a PC), this is the smallest print Ive seen in a while!

I liked it as a gun.
    Last edited by OneLungMcClung; April 28th, 2007 at 11:03 AM.
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS

(Fulton County)

Wink Re: Thoughts on 9mm AR platform?

My thoughts on a 9mm AR are not good ones!

1st the price of a 9mm AR is crazy

2nd your limited to about 75-100 yards

3rd mags are in the $30+

4th pistol rounds are for pistols

and finally there are cheaper options if you want a 9mm carbine such as the Marlin camp 9 if you can find one. The ruger PC9 or the Beretta cx4 storm or a keltec

BUT if you go with a 9mm AR id get a Olympic Arms that uses the 33 round glock mags

http://www.olyarms.com/?rootView=browse&view=cat&ids=gl

I would advise you to pass on the BM 9mm setup. Simply for the reason that the lower will ONLY accept 9mm mags and it is polymer. Stick with either RRA or Colt for 9mm AR's.

I am personally a fan of the 9mm AR for a couple different reasons. First, they are cheaper to shoot than 556. Second, they are quieter and have almost no recoil. Third, they are just plain fun.

While the 9mm is not the best choice for a defensive weapon, a 127gr + P Ranger T doing over 1,400 FPS will do some serious damage.

9mm AR's are still in wide use (especially by the DEA) because they have no muzzle flash (good thing when conducting raids on meth houses).

So my advise would be to buy a standard AR in 556. Then buy a drop in receiver block (the Hahn is a good one) and install a 9MM hammer. Then change out the carbine buffer for an H3 buffer. Then buy yourself a RRA 9mm upper. Now all you have to do to shoot 9mm is drop in the receiver block and push the two pins and you have yourself a 9MM AR!

C4

G&R Tactical, LLC
    www.GRTactical.com
    1-888-9GR-GUNS

(Bucks County)

I would save your money and forget the 9 mm AR. Just do not see the point in it when there are other 9 mm Carbine options out there.

People seem to love the Beretta Storm but I've been looking for a Ruger PC9 myself.

(Montgomery County)

9mm platform has its advantages and disadvantages.
    primary advantages I find are being bale to shoot your rifl in places that may not allow rifle caliver fire...both indoor and outdoor ranges

I have the 2 standard style caliber conversions, the Colt style, and the Olympic style...boith require a mag block in the lower to use the mags in the 5.56 magwell.
    I use both in full auto, and semiauto applications.

the Colt style is generally overall the more expensive, and more wear intensive on the lower due to its using the hammer to retard the bolt stroke design. its also not the most reliable with hollowpoint ammo.
    the uppers in colt style are made by Colt, RRA, and others.
    steel 32 rd mags by colt are in the $50+ range, the plastic ones that Bushmaster and such use also work, and can be gotten for $15 from Copes Distributing
    Uzi mags can also be modified to work, and Betamag makes a 100rd drum for the colt style.
    Colt style, using real colt or the plastcs have a last shot bolt holdopen, and the mag adapater blocks can run for $75 to $150 depending on maker.
    the colt style may need a heavy buffer depending on application and gun I have found, these are available.
    below is my Colt DOE upper, with which i use both the Colt steel and promag plastic mags, and the betamag in 9mm. this has a Colt adapter block.
    the upper below is pretty rare, was used by Dept of Energy courier agents for concealability, and costs $1800+ for the upper itself these days..obviously its NFA length, its works on my SBR and M16

the olympic design is a little different in the bolt, and the carrier mimics a regular 5.56 carrier, and is heavily weighted.
    the oly works with hollow point ammo, due to its cone shaped chamber/bolt design
    the oly is designed to use cheap $5 sten mags, which while cheap, are kind of a PITA to load inless you buy a sten mag loader for $25+
    Mag blocks can be gotten for about $65 from kurts Custom Firearms in Florida.
    No bolt holdopen
    I have found my oly uppers in 9mm,(I have a 8" and and 11.5" upper) to be utterly reliable, and 0 parts breakages at all...the 11.5" one was bought used, with what the guy said easily 20K rds on it, i've probably put another 15K on it, its accurate, and dependable
    my 11.5" barrel i've shot target gongs at 250yds and rang them with every round in the mag, so 9mm out of a carbine does reach.

the upper below is a custom job i built, 8" barrel, Cmore sight, its mounted on my SBR its pretty darn accurate, even at distance.

basically, if you want a 9mm AR, get one, preferably a conversion. its no replacement for the stronger rifle caliber, but it has its uses...and is easily suppressed!
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Dauphin County)

Ouch JayBell! Oh..man that sucks...not the weapons..the thought of those Democratic confiscation teams coming to take them.

I was drooling over a RockRiver 9mm AR cause I knew I would shoot it more often than the 5.6mm and I could reload or buy tons more! For me, it was more of a 'buy a new toy' that I could use and use more often and STILL be a viable option to a Civil Defense Rifle. I reckon it is still best to bring a rifle to a pistol fight as it is to bring a pistol to a knife fight..and I never liked the thought of fighting but I would like to be left standing. I bought both!! Shhhh.. don't tell the wife til I do.
    Last edited by luckyned7; April 28th, 2007 at 10:44 PM. Reason: spellING and punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    I would save your money and forget the 9 mm AR. Just do not see the point in it when there are other 9 mm Carbine options out there.

People seem to love the Beretta Storm but I've been looking for a Ruger PC9 myself.

The AR offers many more advantages over the two guns you listed. Simply because you there are so many options out there for the AR (barrels, stock, rails, FS, etc, etc). There are also 4 different mags that will work in the AR 9mm system and there are more coming. I also like that I can get hi-capacity mags for them (beta 100rd drums come to mind).

C4
    G&R Tactical, LLC
    www.GRTactical.com
    1-888-9GR-GUNS

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by C4iGrant View Post
    The AR offers many more advantages over the two guns you listed. Simply because you there are so many options out there for the AR (barrels, stock, rails, FS, etc, etc). There are also 4 different mags that will work in the AR 9mm system and there are more coming. I also like that I can get hi-capacity mags for them (beta 100rd drums come to mind).

C4
    example, my DOE upper on my SBR with the beta mag

as for "democratic confiscation teams" they gonna need a WHOLE LOTTA people
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    example, my DOE upper on my SBR with the beta mag

http://www.bigboomstick.com/guns/doebeta.jpg

as for "democratic confiscation teams" they gonna need a WHOLE LOTTA people
    Very nice! Have you seen the new 9mm Beta's with the clear backs??

C4
    G&R Tactical, LLC
    www.GRTactical.com
    1-888-9GR-GUNS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast