Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The ATF called...

zzzzzzzzzz
    Last edited by christine1249; January 7th, 2009 at 01:35 AM.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: The ATF called...

Does he have a Federal Firearms License (FFL) ?

(Northampton County)

In any case, get a lawyer IMMEDIATELY. And make sure that the lawyer is present during the ATF's visit.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lancaster County)

I would imagine they want to verify he does do everything by the book. Not that I have any experience with this. Just my opinion.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by christine1249 View Post
    Yes, he has an FFL. He does all the paperwork and I know when he sells a gun at the gun show he takes the buyer to a booth to complete the paperwork and checks. The people at the booth hold the gun until the background check is done. He did have a rifle stolen at a show a couple of weeks ago and he reported that as well. Maybe someone tried to register it? I kind of doubt it though.
    Once again, get a lawyer.

You could get some vague advice here, which may or may not be relevant. Instead, your father needs professional legal advice.

Unless he doesn't mind losing his FFL and/or serving prison time, for saying the wrong thing. Get a lawyer.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'll let him know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    Once again, get a lawyer.

You could get some vague advice here, which may or may not be relevant. Instead, your father needs professional legal advice.

Unless he doesn't mind losing his FFL and/or serving prison time, for saying the wrong thing. Get a lawyer.
    especially since he deals in Commiefornia
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    especially since he deals in Commiefornia
    That, and the fact that the ATF doesn't usually pay visits just because they happen to be in the neighborhood...

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lancaster County)

What type of FFL?

Does he simply have a C&R or a 'real' FFL such as a type 1 or type 2 FFL?

There are different requirements for each.

This may be simply a compliance inspection as every type 1 or 2 FFL has to undergo.

I hope his paperwork is in order, and neat. All forms accounted for and all firearms available. His bound book should be neat and orderly and DONE.

Attorney? Doesn't probably doesn't need one for a compliance inspection, it is part of doing business. You will likely want to consult with one AFTER they leave if they try and force him out of business. However, for the reasons below, he might want to MEET them at his attorney's office to go over records as a place away from the HOME if they merely want to look at records.

If he is a table top dealer, they will come looking to break his balls and 'suggest' he either get a store front or leave the FFL to 'the professionals'.

I would hope that if he is doing business out of his home he has a certain room that he uses for his paperwork. One would not want to have any entanglements by allowing a federal officer to have carte blanche to 'inspect the premises of the business' if it includes his BEDROOM' and his entire house.

Ditto, I hope he doesn't have ANYTHING that looks remotely illegal in his home, from DEWAT class 3 stuff that doesn't have paper to your little brother's pot plant (KIDDING).

REMEMBER THEY ARE FEDERAL OFFICERS. They may not try to bust you for that eagle feather headress that your dad got back in 1920, but you can bet that they will act as a witness for the agency that DOES.

James Jeffries did an excellent article "What to do when the ATF comes calling" A quick read might give you some pointers though. Here is a link.

http://www.gunowners.com/batf.htm

Print a copy out of the above article and GIVE one to your dad and to his attorney!!!

If he is one of the vaunted "table top" FFL's that the ATF created back in the 1960's that ATF then sought to eradicate in the late 1980's, he might be in for an examination along that which his proctologist gives him.

Quite honestly, there is not much you can do to alleviate your concern. There are a lot of questions that you would not be in the 'know' to answer. Unless you have been doing business under his name, you can offer to help him get organized, but not much more.

Your dad should know the rules under which is license requires him to act.

Your worry is counterproductive, your action might not be.

He needs to find out what the scope of their visit will be, and you need to know what type FFL he has.

Seriously try and have the visit ocurr at your attorney's office. This will probably have little real effect, since few attorney's know the law regarding FFL's (perhaps one or two exceptions on this board) but you will keep them out of your HOME. That would be worth the cost by itself.

I hope it goes well for him, don't be surprised if the cost of doing business as an FFL just got too high for him.
    Last edited by Whiskey Delta; January 7th, 2009 at 12:27 AM.
    He was one of God’s own prototypes—a high-powered mutant of some kind who was never even considered for mass production. He was too weird to live and too rare to die....

Have him contact:

Trutanich-Michel LLP
    180 E. Ocean Blvd., Ste 200
    Long Beach, CA 90802

looks like one of the best 'gun laywers' on the left coast.

Tel (562) 216-4444
    Fax (562) 216-4445
    http://www.tmllp.com

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast