Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 9MM Shot shells

(Cambria County)

Default 9MM Shot shells

Ok i've been gonna buy some of those CCI Shot shells in 9mm. I figured They would be nice to take out fishin or in the woods (for snakes) since i figure hitting a pissed off snake with ball or hollow point may just be a waste of time. so has anyone shot it, does it have enough recoil to function the slide the whole way(cuz i've heard about 22 bird shot not workin great in auto pistols). and are they good enough to carry a mag of them or is it a one shot at a time thing? Sorry if its a stupid question. Also will they cause any harm to the gun or the normal functions of the gun?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: 9MM Shot shells

I've yet to see a shotshell be able to fully cycle any auto pistol. There isn't enough pressure and recoil to do it. 9mm, 45, 357 & 44 in Desert Eagles, etcs..

You will have to rack the side manually. Make note, sometime you will have ejection problems even manually racking because most auto shotshells have elongated cases to hold the shot. When that opens up the shell you are trying to eject might be too big for the port and the timing of the ejection.

They wont harm the gun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ja86son View Post
    Ok i've been gonna buy some of those CCI Shot shells in 9mm. I figured They would be nice to take out fishin or in the woods (for snakes) since i figure hitting a pissed off snake with ball or hollow point may just be a waste of time. so has anyone shot it, does it have enough recoil to function the slide the whole way(cuz i've heard about 22 bird shot not workin great in auto pistols). and are they good enough to carry a mag of them or is it a one shot at a time thing? Sorry if its a stupid question. Also will they cause any harm to the gun or the normal functions of the gun?
    Hmmmmmm. Not sure what alure that particular round would have for fishin', I heard 1/4 sticks work pretty well though.

Never tried them but one ole timer told me, "they ain't worth a f**K when you'r surrounded." Something about not having the shizzizzel to rack the slide.

(Adams County)

I bought some in 9mm and a whole bunch in 38spl when I found a deal on them. The 9mm wouldn't be so bad if they wouldn't move the slide at all. The problem is they move the slide just enough to cause a stovepipe.

I like the 38s though. I always have a snubby with 3 shotshells and 2 38spls in my pocket when we have summer range maintenance. I've seen some fairly long snake skins up there.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    I bought some in 9mm and a whole bunch in 38spl when I found a deal on them. The 9mm wouldn't be so bad if they wouldn't move the slide at all. The problem is they move the slide just enough to cause a stovepipe.
    Maybe get a stiffer recoil spring to keep the slide closed? Or maybe a lighter one to see if it will cycle?