Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heading to NYS

(Monroe County)

Default Heading to NYS

Hey guys, I'm not familiar with the laws in NYS (upstate) and I'm heading up there for a vacation in a few weeks.

I know I can't carry concealed over the border, however what rules are in place for what I can do with the gun once I cross? Would I have to unload it and put it in the back of the truck? Is it enough to remove the mag and leave it full?

Any restrictions on bullets? Can I carry hollow points?

Once there am I allowed to have a loaded gun in the house?

I'm not worried about a mag size limit as my 1911 only holds 7+1 so I should be good on that.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Heading to NYS

I would reccomend that you NOT take a gun into NY at all. NY police do not take kindly to unlicensed handguns coming into their state, and the laws are VERY strict.

NY has even arrested someone who was flying and stopped in NY for having a handgun in their checked baggage. They seem to totally ignore federal transport laws.

IIRC one of the only legal ways to take a handgun into NY is if your going to an approved shooting event, and even then you need paperwork to prove it if you get pulled over.

(Indiana County)

Unless you're a New York State resident, you can't get a firearms license. They don't do out-of-state.

If you don't have a New York State license, you can't legally have a firearm in New York State (unless you're passing straight through without stopping and all that other federal stuff).

Just because it's legal in Pennsylvania doesn't mean a hoot to New York State.

Of course, if you want to risk losing your firearms, freedom, and a whole bunch of cash due to legal fees, then take your firearms to New York State.

(Monroe County)

guess I'll go as a sheep then

stupid pos communist states
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Delaware County)

I thought that NY only registers handguns. And long guns were ok for Non NY residents. But maybe I thought wrong.

Look at the bright side. You're not going to New Jersey. I have a job coming up in Joisey in a couple of months, and I know for a fact there is a hollow point round rolling around loose in the truck I cannot find. I am sure though, that if I am stopped for some reason, it will choose to manifest itself to the kind and understanding Polezei by rolling out into plain view.

I will echo what has already been said, and has been confirmed in the mouths of several NY residents I know. They must have a permit to even own a gun, and all the handguns they own must be listed on that permit. And as best I can tell, in NY it IS a PERMIT!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy3l View Post
    I thought that NY only registers handguns. And long guns were ok for Non NY residents. But maybe I thought wrong.
    He is talking about concealing up to the border, so I assume he is talking about a handgun. Unless, of course, he is going to walk funny!

(Delaware County)

He is talking about concealing up to the border, so I assume he is talking about a handgun. Unless, of course, he is going to walk funny!
    LOL.
    Gotcha.

Here is a link to NY laws explained.
    http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm
    Maybe you can bring a Shotgun for house/cabin/motel room d-fense.

(Allegheny County)

I am technically resident of NY, and I still buy my guns there, so this is my $0.02. As far as I know, you can transport long guns from out of state IF they are unloaded, ammo seperate, in trunk, etc, etc. I would NOT advise out of staters to take handguns in. Stupid fucking rules, if you ask me. Thank that scumbag Schumer and Bloomberg for keeping up this bullshit.

Obviously, this is not legal advice, so don't hold me to it.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Hey guys, I'm not familiar with the laws in NYS (upstate) and I'm heading up there for a vacation in a few weeks.

I know I can't carry concealed over the border, however what rules are in place for what I can do with the gun once I cross? Would I have to unload it and put it in the back of the truck? Is it enough to remove the mag and leave it full?

Any restrictions on bullets? Can I carry hollow points?

Once there am I allowed to have a loaded gun in the house?

I'm not worried about a mag size limit as my 1911 only holds 7+1 so I should be good on that.
    In new york state you need a pistol permit to even have a handgun. I recommend you leave it at home while your in new york.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast