Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default How do I find out if late Father-in-law owned a handgun ?

Its a longer story but I will shorten,
    Sad to say my Father in law passed away almost two weeks ago and he did have several rifles and a bit of ammo,
    A few years ago he was asking about shooting a 9mm Handgun and that he wanted to get one,
    Well,
    There was a good amount of 9mm ammo and no handgun, But there was an opened box of 9mm and in that there were 48 shells and 2 live rounds,
    Now comes the issue and one faulty daughter who had access to the house for 1 week when Mom was with other sister,
    Seems like there is a chance there was a 9mm in the house,
    We would have no idea when he possibly bought it or where in the Pittsburgh area,
    Who can we go to and with what documentation would we need to bring with us to ask *if* he had one so we would know to continue searching the house????
    Ive cleared Moms of all firearms and live ammo,
    Just am curious if Did in law had a 9mm hidden somewhere in the house or if the dysfunctional sister removed it after the funeral.
    Any information you may have would be greatly appreciated !
    Thank you all,
    Peter B

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: How do I find out if late Father-in-law owned a handgun ?

The only chance you have is if you find a copy of the SP4-113 Record of Sale form that he would have had to fill out at the dealer. That form would listed the dealer that sold him the gun, the make, model, and caliber.

The State Police maintains a record of sale, but using it in such a manner would be improper.

You may want to notify the police agency that serves the community that your FIL used to reside in that there may be a handgun missing from the estate. But doing that could cause problems because they may use the state police database to identify the gun, then list it as stolen. ....then if you do find it, you or any heir would be in possession of a gun that is LISTED as stolen - then you would have to explain that.

If his sister did take it, it would be theft regardless. Estates cannot be pillaged without proper disbursement like reading of will, executor sale, or following the proper chain of intestate succession. ...and siblings are relatively low on the succession list.
    Last edited by knight0334; July 19th, 2016 at 08:41 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

I thought he said a daughter might have taken it. Father was alive at the time. May have been a gift.

(Bucks County)

Look at checkbook . Look at credit card statements. Is there a large expenditure with 'handgun' written all over it? Ask his buddies if he had obtained a pistol. How did he die? In the house? Might have been a dishonest ambulance crew or, God forbid, cop that inherited a new drop piece.

The estate executor or administrator might try the PSP. I don't think that the record of sale database is off-limits for bona fide inquiries from the designated personal representative. It might take a subpoena, or at least a short certificate, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Ask the daughter if she has the gun. If she says no, and there was one purchased, and if you can get the serial number and make, then report it as stolen. The estate representative can do that, and absent an FFL transfer, or a transfer to spouse, child, or grandchild, at a minimum there was an unlawful transfer.

Look around for the box, or owner's manual.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Philadelphia County)

*if* daughter took it, It will have already been traded for illegal substances. She did swipe a coin collection which contained several pounds of silver coins, Like 10 to 15 pounds of them,
    We didn't see it happen, So we didn't blame her, But we all know,
    I was thinking of going to state police barracks with death certificate and ask trooper if we need to continue looking before we call in an auction company
    I KNOW THE POLICE KNOW WHAT I HAVE !
    As when a local PD officer was shot I came home to 7 ATF and 1 Phila Violent crimes officer on my front lawn,
    They wanted to see one item specifically,
    I showed them and they went away,
    I know they know,
    They know I know that they know,
    Peter B

(Berks County)

Any possibility that he had ammo to shoot a friend's Gun? Perhaps he talked about getting one after test driving a friend's, thus the new and spent stash of 9mm.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    Any possibility that he had ammo to shoot a friend's Gun? Perhaps he talked about getting one after test driving a friend's, thus the new and spent stash of 9mm.
    It is possible,
    Its a question I would like answered,

Looks like you would have to search through the personal effects of the FIL for the paperwork for the pistol, if there's no paperwork then legally obtaining proof is slim. Could there be a book with the serial numbers of his firearms listed for insurance purposes?.
    Also could he have stashed it some where as a hidden home defense firearm?
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

even if someone checks the record of sale database, its not quite accurate since they DO NOT remove items from your list when you sell them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast