Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default "You Can't Have That In Here!"

This is what was told to a friend of mine as we entered the Walmart in Dickson City. He has some trouble walking, due to a motorcycle accident, so as we entered, I asked the greeter for a motorized cart for him, as he hobbled about 10 feet behind me. He was carrying a Keltec PF9; it was hot, so all he had on was a wifebeater tank top on. The PF9 was in full view.

As he walked in, the greeter barked out, "Hey, you can't have that in here!" My friend simply looked at the greeter, looked at me, then turned around to walk back to my car. I asked the greeter his name. "It's Paul," he replied.

"Keep the motor running," I told him. I chased after my friend. "Just sit down here. I'm gonna go talk to the manager."

"Alright."

I reentered the store, and asked Paul to get me the manager. "I dunno where he is."

"Fine. I'll ask someone else."

"He's probably on lunch, now."

"I thought you said you didn't know where he was?"

He didn't reply to my catching him in a lie. I approached another employee. "Excuse, I need to speak tpo the store manager."

"Is there something I can help you with?"

"No. I need someone with store-wide authority." It then struck me how ridiculous that just sounded.

"Okay, i'll get Stacy. He's the store manager."

He went off to find him. A few minutes later, Stacy arrived. "Is there something I can help you with, sir?"

I began to break down what just happened with the greeter. He listened intently. I also stated that I knew of many people, including myself, who regulary carried, either openly or concealed, while shopping there. I made sure to bring up the fact that Walmart's corporate policy allows for the carry of firearms in their stores in PA.

"Sir, as far as I'm concerned, there's no problem with you or your friend carrying in here. As long as it's holstered, and stays that way, we absolutely want your business. We just ask that you don't brandish it, or anything like that."

"And Paul?"

"I'm going over there to straighten him out right now."

"Thank you."

I went and retrieved my buddy. "Let's go. I got it fixed."

We went in, and did our shopping. When we were done, I left him in the store, to bring my car to the front entrance. when I got there, I saw him red faced, and walking faster than he should have. "What's up?" I asked.

"That idiot is in there, talking shit to some other greeter, about 'that asshole with the gun', while I'm sitting there. Fucker."

"I'll be right back."

I went in, an approached Paul. "Did Stacy have a talk with you regarding customers carrying guns?"

"Yeah."

"And what was the outcome?"

"He said they're allowed."

"Did he say it was okay for you to be rude about it, and insult said customers?"

"Uh, no, but-"

"The next step for me is to file a formal complaint about you with the corporate office. That'll probably cost you your job, I'm sure. Is your job worth making smart ass comments about people who spend their hard earned money here?"

He looked at me like he wanted to murder me, and he could barely get the word "No" out of his mouth. He managed, though.

"I thought not. Is there something you want to tell me? Maybe a message you'd like me to relay to my friend, who's waiting for me outside?"

"Sorry."

"Sorry what?"

"Sorry, sir." He nearly choked on the last word.

"Thank you. Have a nice day." I walked out, hoping the weather would hold out.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: "You Can't Have That In Here!"

Here probably comes the neg-rep for me, but I think you were a dick.

The dude probably makes $3.25 an hour (after taxes) and is obviously not capable of getting a better job (which would be ANY other job out there). Just that he is ignorant of store policy or PA laws does not give you a right to rub it all over his face and make him feel like a worthless POS.

One you set things straight with the manager, you should have gone your way and not gone back to harass him and make sure he's going to hate every single OC or CC carrier that walks in there.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post

The dude probably makes $3.25 an hour (after taxes) and is obviously not capable of getting a better job (which would be ANY other job out there). Just that he is ignorant of store policy or PA laws does not give you a right to rub it all over his face and make him feel like a worthless POS.

One you set things straight with the manager, you should have gone your way and not gone back to harass him and make sure he's going to hate every single OC or CC carrier that walks in there.
    I disagree. The greeter was a little punk who wanted to grumble because he was chastized for being an ass and then continued to show his true colors because he thought he could get away with it without any reprecussions. He was a bully, and like all bullies he should be stood up to. Hell, he SHOULD lose his job and just because he can't get another doesn't mean he gets a carte blanche pass to be an ass. Im ok with the OP's actions because if you don't bitchslap a bully from time to time they just grow more brazen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachrymalex View Post
    "That idiot is in there, talking shit to some other greeter, about 'that asshole with the gun', while I'm sitting there. Fucker."

"I'll be right back."

I went in, an approached Paul. "Did Stacy have a talk with you regarding customers carrying guns?"

"Yeah."

"And what was the outcome?"

"He said they're allowed."

"Did he say it was okay for you to be rude about it, and insult said customers?"

"Uh, no, but-"

"The next step for me is to file a formal complaint about you with the corporate office. That'll probably cost you your job, I'm sure. Is your job worth making smart ass comments about people who spend their hard earned money here?"

He looked at me like he wanted to murder me, and he could barely get the word "No" out of his mouth. He managed, though.

"I thought not. Is there something you want to tell me? Maybe a message you'd like me to relay to my friend, who's waiting for me outside?"

"Sorry."

"Sorry what?"

"Sorry, sir." He nearly choked on the last word.

"Thank you. Have a nice day." I walked out, hoping the weather would hold out.
    Well the manager did good but this ass wipe? Fuck him, I'd have had Stacy back there in a HEARTBEAT so this dick weed could explain what he just said about a customer .... and would have brought the friend back in for the whole thing. Useless ass wipe greeters, dip shit should be cleaning toilets with a toothbrush!

(Allegheny County)

And as Lucius Accius Telephus said, "let them hate, so long as they fear".

In other words, that greeter can hate my guts all day long, so long as he respects me and saves his bitching for when he's back at home. Fearing that if he doesn't his job is forfeit.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post

I wont neg rep you as the section in question is PAST the firearms issue. What IS at issue is an idiot greeter ensuring that someone wont return to spend money in that establishment again - its a simple customer service issue now, and I would have handed him his but too.

totally separate issue at that point and I think the OP did just fine

Thumbs up Re: "You Can't Have That In Here!"

hell yah you were in the rite. good job more people need to standup n tell the people to fuck off that tell you no you cant when you full well know you can. (clap,clap)!!

(Lancaster County)

Can someone post their policy here so I can print it?

(Northampton County)

Good work. I repped you, and I would rep the store manager. I also liked the fact he told you to keep it holstered and not to screw around. Some people would get pissed about that lecture, I support it.

As for the greeter - I personally would not have confronted him while leaving. But the guy was talking sh*t about customers while on the floor, so I have no sympathy for him.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by prophet23 View Post
    I disagree. The greeter was a little punk who wanted to grumble because he was chastized for being an ass and then continued to show his true colors because he thought he could get away with it without any reprecussions. He was a bully, and like all bullies he should be stood up to. Hell, he SHOULD lose his job and just because he can't get another doesn't mean he gets a carte blanche pass to be an ass. Im ok with the OP's actions because if you don't bitchslap a bully from time to time they just grow more brazen.
    AMEN!

I Hate Bullies of any stripe in all stations.

RAH had it right: An armed society is a polite society.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast