Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default teachers and LTCF

My wife had her LTCF years ago while we were dating in case she used my car and gun was in it. Somewhere over the 13 yrs we were married she let it lapse. I suggested she get it again but she is "concerned" what it might look like if she applies for a teaching position and she has a LTCF.

Am i correct in telling her that nobody would know she has the license unless she tells them? A school that does a background check in the hiring process would not come across that info?....and even if they did find out they couldnt hold that against her?

I told her i'm sure there are many teachers that have LTCF without issues....

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: teachers and LTCF

Her LTCF, status, application, transfer record for a handgun, etc is all confidential. Only the PSP and Sheriff's office would know, and it is not a dis-qualifier for a teaching position. If it were, the many of our teachers up here probably wouldn't have a job.

I, as well as many other teachers where I worked had ltcf, the school didn't know and nor should they. She'll be fine

(Mercer County)

Talking Re: teachers and LTCF

As a young guy out of college I had my LTCF. I never gave it much thought. I've been teaching 11 years and have had no issues, nor do I know of any amongst my law abiding teacher associates. I've gotten more flak over salary and summers off!!

(Monroe County)

Theres quite a few teachers on the forum who have their LTCF
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Lancaster County)

Never was a problem for me. If anything, it should reinforce the background checks that teachers have to go through to be certified. Actually, if I remember correctly, the standards for PDE is higher than for a LTCF.

Actually, heaven forbid an incident would happen where she took your car and it got searched and there was a loaded gun in there (not sure if you keep one in there or not), she would never be allowed to teach in PA and probably the rest of the country. To me, $25 every five years is a great insurance policy for keeping your job.

And since her fingerprints are already on file for the FBI background check, you might as well go ahead and get a Utah or Florida permit.

I have had multiple checks done, they just simply reflect criminal activity. Nothing was ever mentioned about my ownership of guns or status with an ltcf.
    Active Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    My wife had her LTCF years ago while we were dating in case she used my car and gun was in it.
    Of course it's always nice for the wife to get her LTCF, but even without the license, she would be fine with your gun in the "family car "as long as you were licensed.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license

(a) Offense defined.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

<snip>

(13) Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    (13) Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.
    Thats good to know. However seeing as this is the first time I've heard that, chances are, unfortunately, the average LEO won't know. She'd probably be charged and brought in, and the mess would be sorted out while she was in holding or at the arraignment.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Thats good to know. However seeing as this is the first time I've heard that, chances are, unfortunately, the average LEO won't know. She'd probably be charged and brought in, and the mess would be sorted out while she was in holding or at the arraignment.
    Yeah, it has been discussed here before, but probably not well known. It is from the PA Uniform Firearms Act, BTW.

Can't hurt to get the wife a LTCF and get her to carry whenever she can...not at school while teaching, unfortunately

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Of course it's always nice for the wife to get her LTCF, but even without the license, she would be fine with your gun in the "family car "as long as you were licensed.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license

(a) Offense defined.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

<snip>

Yes...i brought that exception up here before...so i know she is fine right now..without a license...it was while we were dating that i made sure she had it.

I told her about what has already been mentioned here..she seems to feel better about the idea now.

As far as her getting a UT....I have to figure a way to convince her to let me pay for the class to get mine first...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast