Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Anybody with an NFA Gun trust?

I was thinking about getting an NFA gun trust so that I can purchase class 3 firearms. I just want to know if anybody here that has one can give me some information. Specifically, who did you use, and how much did it cost. It pains me to think about spending hundreds of dollars on a trust to buy specific firearms, but seems to be the safest way to go.

Thanks in advance.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Anybody with an NFA Gun trust?

A couple hundred bucks to protect guns that expensive should be looked at as a drop in the bucket. I talked to josh prince at prince law when I was debating which route to go. He was very helpful and extremely knowledgable.
    "you cant fight zombies with good intentions"

My Feedback:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/98731-cmr076.html

Why do you need a trust (or any other entity) to purchase NFA firearms? Have you approached your Sheriff or Chief of Police about signing your Form 4's?

Trusts are a last resort for most people. If you can get a signature, and you don't plan to share possession, then the simplest and cheapest route is registering them in your own name.

Also, there's a need to point out that trusts, corps and LLC's are not a substitute for having an FFL. A small minority of folks are confused on this point, so it bears repeating now and then.

Feel free to PM me to discuss your options.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cmr076 View Post
    A couple hundred bucks to protect guns that expensive should be looked at as a drop in the bucket. I talked to josh prince at prince law when I was debating which route to go. He was very helpful and extremely knowledgable.
    "A couple hundred bucks to protect guns that expensive".....

How does a trust protect your NFA purchases better than registering the item in your own name?

(Lancaster County)

Here is my biggest fear. I live with my wife and 2 daughters. I don't want to put any of them at risk at violating any laws if I am not around. My wife has access to all of my firearms and I want to keep it that way. I also do not plan on having a separate safe just for NFA guns. If I own a SBR I want my wife to be able to use it in self defense if I am not at home. I also want my family members to be able to use these guns at the range with me as well.

My understanding is that in order to do this I would need a trust. Am I wrong? Or, could you please help me understand some of these laws? I just don't want to run afoul of any laws (or my family members to run afoul of any laws without even knowing).

Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    Here is my biggest fear. I live with my wife and 2 daughters. I don't want to put any of them at risk at violating any laws if I am not around. My wife has access to all of my firearms and I want to keep it that way. I also do not plan on having a separate safe just for NFA guns. If I own a SBR I want my wife to be able to use it in self defense if I am not at home. I also want my family members to be able to use these guns at the range with me as well.

My understanding is that in order to do this I would need a trust. Am I wrong? Or, could you please help me understand some of these laws? I just don't want to run afoul of any laws (or my family members to run afoul of any laws without even knowing).
    I'm not aware of a single case of a non-prohibited family member having a legal issue based on being in the same household as the registered NFA firearms and the registered owner.

A prohibited family member is going to be a problem, with or without a trust, LLC or corp. A holding entity does nothing to allow a prohibited person to have custody and control, or even limited access. And if they're not prohibited, then there's no problem.

If someone can point to a single prosecution, ending in acquittal or conviction, based on such a "transfer" to a non-prohibited family member living in the same residence as the registrant, I'd be happy to see it.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I'm not aware of a single case of a non-prohibited family member having a legal issue based on being in the same household as the registered NFA firearms and the registered owner.

A prohibited family member is going to be a problem, with or without a trust, LLC or corp. A holding entity does nothing to allow a prohibited person to have custody and control, or even limited access. And if they're not prohibited, then there's no problem.

If someone can point to a single prosecution, ending in acquittal or conviction, based on such a "transfer" to a non-prohibited family member living in the same residence as the registrant, I'd be happy to see it.
    Thank You!

(Chester County)

A related question. I have an NFA Trust set up by someone at Prince Law, but not Josh. Would transferring NFA or non-NFA weapons and magazines into the trust provide the ability for my family to maintain possession of my firearms if a law would ever be passed nationally or in PA stating that firearms/mags could not be transferred in the future? eg, upon my death or for whatever other reason might occur in the future?
    I realize this is not an issue currently, but since other states have passed similar laws and since anti-gunners will never rest, I would like to be ahead of the curve so to speak, if there is any value in doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    A related question. I have an NFA Trust set up by someone at Prince Law, but not Josh. Would transferring NFA or non-NFA weapons and magazines into the trust provide the ability for my family to maintain possession of my firearms if a law would ever be passed nationally or in PA stating that firearms/mags could not be transferred in the future? eg, upon my death or for whatever other reason might occur in the future?
    I realize this is not an issue currently, but since other states have passed similar laws and since anti-gunners will never rest, I would like to be ahead of the curve so to speak, if there is any value in doing so.
    That depends, what event terminates your trust? If it's your death, then your family is screwed.

A corp or LLC is inherently perpetual, it can last for generations and survive your death, or be sold along with the assets (including NFA firearms.)

(Butler County)

I went with the trust from Josh Prince. Mostly so my family could use my toys with out me. It's pretty easy to set up and not real expensive. The 5-6 month wait on the ATF paperwork is what's hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast