Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Can I move to New York and keep guns in P.A.?

I'm currently a resident of Pennsylvania and bought all my guns as a resident.

I'll be moving to New York shortly and becoming a NY resident. Is it legal for me to own guns that I leave in Pennsylvania even if I'm not a resident of P.A.?

Thanks in advance.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Can I move to New York and keep guns in P.A.?

Quote Originally Posted by 6.8Shooter View Post
    I'm currently a resident of Pennsylvania and bought all my guns as a resident.

I'll be moving to New York shortly and becoming a NY resident. Is it legal for me to own guns that I leave in Pennsylvania even if I'm not a resident of P.A.?

Thanks in advance.
    Where/with whom are you storing them in Pa? Do they include handguns?
    IANAL

(Monroe County)

Out of the Philly frying pan and into the fire huh? I guess it all depends on where in NY you're moving. If it's outside the city I would just say take them with you, from what I hear upstate laws are a lot different than NYC laws. As TL asked...who would you be leaving them with and are there any handguns? This could pose serious legal questions.
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; December 1st, 2010 at 06:27 PM.

You are required to give your guns to a trusted PAFOA member before moving, who will make sure they are fired and cleaned regularly

Just kidding

The other posters hit correctly upon it...we are waiting for your answers

(Chester County)

You can loan firearms to another LTCF holder.

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...ms-prohibited/
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    You are required to give your guns to a trusted PAFOA member before moving, who will make sure they are fired and cleaned regularly
    I like the way you think, and that should be part of the new Castle Doctrine law.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Chester County)

i think you could leave rifles with a family member, but not sure on handguns.....sorry to hear about the move if its to the city though
    Lifes hard, its even harder when your stupid - John Wayne.

(Luzerne County)

You could leave the rifles with anyone that you don't know is prohibited from owning/using guns.

The handguns would have to conform to 18Pa.C.S.6115

§ 6115. Loans on, or lending or giving firearms prohibited.

1. Offense defined. -- No person shall make any loan secured by mortgage, deposit or pledge of a firearm, nor, except as provided in subsection (b), shall any person lend or give a firearm to another or otherwise deliver a firearm contrary to the provisions of this subchapter.
    2. Exception. --
    1. Subsection (a) shall not apply if any of the following apply:
    1. The person who receives the firearm is licensed to carry a firearm under section 6109 (relating to licenses).
    2. The person who receives the firearm is exempt from licensing.
    3. The person who receives the firearm is engaged in a hunter safety program certified by the Pennsylvania Game Commission or a firearm training program or competition sanctioned or approved by the National Rifle Association.
    4. The person who receives the firearm meets all of the following:
    1. Is under 18 years of age.
    2. Pursuant to section 6110.1 (relating to possession of firearm by minor) is under the supervision, guidance and instruction of a responsible individual who:
    1. is 21 years of age or older; and
    2. is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under section 6105 (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms).
    5. The person who receives the firearm is lawfully hunting or trapping and is in compliance with the provisions of Title 34 (relating to game).
    6. A bank or other chartered lending institution is able to adequately secure firearms in its possession.
    2. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the transfer of a firearm under 20 Pa.C.S. Ch. 21 (relating to intestate succession) or by bequest if the individual receiving the firearm is not precluded from owning or possessing a firearm under section 6105.
    3. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the loaning or giving of a firearm to another in one's dwelling or place of business if the firearm is retained within the dwelling or place of business.
    4. Nothing in this section shall prohibit the relinquishment of firearms to a third party in accordance with 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping).

(June 13, 1995, 1st Sp.Sess., P.L.1024, No.17, eff. 120 days; Nov. 10, 2005, P.L.335, No.66, eff. 180 days)

2005 Amendment. Act 66 added subsec. (b)(4).

Cross References. Section 6115 is referred to in section 6108.3 of Title 23 (Domestic Relations).

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Out of the Philly frying pan and into the fire huh? I guess it all depends on where in NY you're moving. If it's outside the city I would just say take them with you, from what I hear upstate laws are a lot different than NYC laws. As TL asked...who would you be leaving them with and are there any handguns? This could pose serious legal questions.
    Thanks for the quick responses! I have both handguns and a rifle and was planning to leave them locked in my girlfriend's house. I do not know any LTCF holders.

What are the legal issues with the handguns?

Good to know that te rifle is okay. I have a LWRC m6a2 in 6.8 spc that I would hate to sell.

I'll be movin to manhattan, so no go with the handguns-hoping to get a possession license in NY and then transfer the handguns to NY if and when that happens.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by 6.8Shooter; December 1st, 2010 at 09:30 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    I guess it all depends on where in NY you're moving. If it's outside the city I would just say take them with you, from what I hear upstate laws are a lot different than NYC laws.
    NO!

You can not possess a handgun anywhere in NY state without a NY license AND each handgun added to said license. Or other exception such as FFL/LEO/etc.

Do NOT take your handguns to NY state. It is a 2nd degree felony.

I do not know any LTCF holders.
    Then you will have to find one or seek the services of an FFL to store your handguns. Another option would be parent/grandparent/legal age children. Any one else requires an LTCF to hold them -OR- a tranasfer through an FFL/sheriff. Which is the only other option I can think of short of selling them.

What are the legal issues with the handguns?
    See my prior reply

Regarding the rifle, I just remembered that a long barreled rifle is just like a normal piece of property in PA and can be transferred to anyone resident in the state legally entitled to own one, without any paperwork. Is that true?
    Yep

I do not know any LTCF holders. I'll be movin to manhattan, so no go with the handguns-hoping to get a possession license in NY and then transfer the handguns to NY if and when that happens.
    Yep, that's all you can do.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast