Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default I was told I can't carry there.

I have a legal question for all you internet lawyers out there.

My brother -in-law is on probation. He lives with his parents which are also my wife's parents.

His parents signed a paper that stated that while he was on probation and living there they would not keep guns in the house or on the property.

All of their guns are at my house locked up.

His PO told him that I am not allowed to be at their house if he is home if I am carrying. He wasn't specific whether or not I was going to be in trouble or my BIL, he just stated that it was illegal. I don't see how I could possibly be in trouble for it, and I don't see how he could either. The gun never leaves my side and is concealed. I don't see how even if it wasn't concealed.

My BIL is an idiot, of this I am already aware. It really pissed me off that when he told him I carried concealed with a license, the PO said I was being reckless and irresposible.

So, does anyone have any insight on this?
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: I was told I can't carry there.

I don't really know the laws, but if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't be visiting my BIL for a while. That PO sounds like someone that's never shot a gun in his life.

(Philadelphia County)

Concealed means concealed. As far as your BIL or anybody else in that house knows, you are not wearing anything.

I second the opinion to not visit your BIL for a while.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Adams County)

I can't really not go there. It's my mother and father in laws house. My kids grandparents.

COncealed is concealed, but I can't avoid going to their house.

Hokkmike Guest

I don't know why you would have told anybody that you were carrying, and I wouldn't do so in the furture.

(Philadelphia County)

call his PO and tell him the issues you're having with him and his policies. Don't be afraid to get in his face about it, because, frankly, he's not a real cop and can't do anything to you. He deals with shitbags all day and you have to make it clear you're not a shitbag.

You're brother-in-law is not allowed to posess guns. It will never be in his posession.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    I don't know why you would have told anybody that you were carrying, and I wouldn't do so in the furture.
    I didn't tell the PO anything. My brother in law told him I carry. My BIL knows I can carry. He is just a moron for telling his PO about it.

As far getting in his face about it, I'm not sure that's a good idea. He would probably run to the sheriff and tell him not to renew me or something.
    I may, however need to talk to him. It may be a dead issue, or he may bring it up again at his next probation meeting. We'll see how that goes.

(Perry County)

I am aware of parolees being put under conditions of not hanging out with other known criminals or parolees and not being allowed around guns. I can't see how either he or you could get in trouble if the gun never leaves your possession, however I am not a lawyer. One thing you may wish to do if invest in a gun safe for your vehicle and leave the gun locked in that when you go in for a visit. That should be in compliance with the terms of his parole, I would think.

P.S. His P.O. can put conditions on him, but calling you irresponsible for doing what is lawful makes him an ass-hat in my opinion.

Dave G.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Westmoreland County)

The PO has no legal right to tell you that you can not carry your gun. As long as the gun is in your possesion and not readily accesible to your BIL.

(Adams County)

I doubt it makes a difference but he is on probation, not parole.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast