Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default can we put an end to this damn registration myth?

You know how gun myths go, I sold my dad a Taurus 65 recently and his buddies have been telling him he better "get it registered" asap.

someone correct me if I am wrong:

1) there is NO GUN REGISTRATION in the Commonwealth of PA
    2) the only thing remotely close to registration is a record of sale with the PSP when a gun is purchased from an FFL
    3) since it is a son-father transfer and he is legally allowed to own (and licensed to carry) a firearm, no background check was required for the sale

legal ownership is the variable here, not registration since no such thing exists, and he is the legal owner, correct? he is worried he is going to get caught carrying an "unregistered" gun.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/hovisimo2/sunsetpatrolresizedcopy.gif

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: can we put an end to this damn registration myth?

Quote Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post
    You know how gun myths go, I sold my dad a Taurus 65 recently and his buddies have been telling him he better "get it registered" asap.

someone correct me if I am wrong:

1) there is NO GUN REGISTRATION in the Commonwealth of PA
    2) the only thing remotely close to registration is a record of sale with the PSP when a gun is purchased from an FFL
    3) since it is a son-father transfer and he is legally allowed to own (and licensed to carry) a firearm, no background check was required for the sale

legal ownership is the variable here, not registration since no such thing exists, and he is the legal owner, correct? he is worried he is going to get caught carrying an "unregistered" gun.
    Well, many (including myself) would consider the record of sale a registration. We all know it can, and would be used as to confiscate our firearms. But, as for having to "get it registered" that is a myth.

Proud member of:

(Berks County)

Its a good thing I have a boat registered in my name too. Makes it real easy and believeable to have a boating mishap where some of my belongings fell overboard.....

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by sluggie24 View Post
    Its a good thing I have a boat registered in my name too. Makes it real easy and believeable to have a boating mishap where some of my belongings fell overboard.....
    You too? Man, these boating accidents are happening all over the place.

Proud member of:

(Bucks County)

You are correct, there is no registration in PA. The requirement to process handgun transfers through a Sheriff or FFL does not apply to transfers between a father and a son.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: can we put an end to this damn registration myth?

If there ever is a gun confiscation, I was fishing with sluggie.

Sluggie you shouldn't had drunk all those beers and knocked our guns in the water.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Mifflin County)

I hope that's a big boat sluggie has, I think we were all fishing with him that day.

(Lebanon County)

Print this and show it to whomever needs to see it, your father, his friends, etc.... Keep a copy or two in your wallet, in your car, anywhere that's handy. If they don't believe what they see in black and white, direct them to the web site:
    http://members.aol.com/StatutesP2/18.Cp.61A.html
    (I didn't copy and past the entire text here for purposes of efficiency. It is available in it's entirety by clicking the links).

http://members.aol.com/StatutesP7/18PA6111.4.html
    § 6111.4. Registration of firearms.

Notwithstanding any section of this chapter to the contrary, nothing in this chapter shall be construed to allow any government or law enforcement agency or any agent thereof to create, maintain or operate any registry of firearm ownership within this Commonwealth. For the purposes of this section only, the term "firearm" shall include any weapon that is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.

http://members.aol.com/StatutesP7/18PA6111.html
    § 6111. Sale or transfer of firearms.

(c) Duty of other persons.--Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.

(Berks County)

I have a 35' boat with enough room for quite a few people and gear. I guess it serves us right for trying to have a group shoot on the bay!

(Allegheny County)

I have a 35' boat with enough room for quite a few people and gear. I guess it serves us right for trying to have a group shoot on the bay!
    Let's stay in shallow water.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast