Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Question on selling a black powder revolver

I have a Ruger Old Army cap and ball black powder revolver that I am planning on selling. It is a fun gun, but I just don't shoot it. I know that black powder guns are not subject to FFL requirements. Is there anything else of which I need to be aware so that no laws are broken on my part?

Thanks.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Question on selling a black powder revolver

Just don't sell it to someone you know is prohibited or you know plans to use it in a crime.. ...that's pretty much all you have to deal with "non-firearms"/"antique firearms".
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Just don't sell it to someone you know is prohibited or you know plans to use it in a crime.. ...that's pretty much all you have to deal with "non-firearms"/"antique firearms".
    Well that's sort of the whole point. I don't know anyone who is prohibited, nor do I think anyone who was would advertise that fact to me. The same goes for the crime thing. Ultimately, that is their responsibility, not mine. I just don't want to run foul of the law. Hence my post.

(Jefferson County)

There really isn't much else you can do other than have them sign a sworn statement.

Since they are not firearms by state or federal laws, doing a record of transfer, or 4473 transfer, or even a PICS/NICS background check is prohibited. ....so use your spidey senses.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Luzerne County)

Put it in the classified section here. Someone that you know might be interested. They just might have something that could be traded that you might like.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Columbia County)

Here's a link to PDF form for a firearms transfer form. It is from Washington state, so you may have to use the information and retype it for your purpose, but it requires a signature by the purchaser that affirms he/she "I certify that I am eligible to possess a pistol/revolver under RCW 9.41.040 or RCW 9.41.045" Those are two Washington State firearms laws, but you could insert a federal law or whatever you like if you decide to retype it.

Washington State Voluntary Firearms Transfer Form

Hope this helps...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    IANAL but I dont't even think it is subject to that! As far as needing forms, receipts or afadavits goes. I bought an 1858 Army replica (cap and ball .44 cal) at Cabela's 2 years ago and I was handed it from behind the black powder counter, walked to the register and paid for it. I don't remember even showing ID. Not that I don't look 21 but I thought you may need to be a PA resident, I know in Screw Jersey you would need a handgun permit for it. But the way I bought it I don't think there is anything to stop an NJ resident from walking out with one.
    What caliber? can you send pics? I might be interested in it...

PA & Federal law=no problem. Watch out for state laws, some consider black powder pistols the same as modern handguns (example).
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Monroe County)

How old does it have to be to be considered a "non-firearms"/"antique firearms"?
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

Quote Originally Posted by Strapped View Post
    How old does it have to be to be considered a "non-firearms"/"antique firearms"?
    Original:
    Manufactured no later than December 31, 1898. Made on or after January 1, 1899 & later = modern gun.

Copies:
    Reproductions of pre-1899 muzzleloading guns are also in the same legal category as antiques, as long as they don't fire modern cartridges.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html