Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default How to obtain a New York carrying license?

Dont know the exact terminology of NY's carrying card, ccw, ccp, ccl? I imagine OC in New York is illegal but I could be wrong and I'd have to do the research, but thats besides the point. I'm going to be transfering to John Jay College of New York for the spring 2010 semester. I've got a year and a half basically, so I want to get this ball rolling. I do not want to be there for the next few years working on a masters degree and not having any protection. I've got family in the state of New York, in the buroughs and also in upstate NY. Does this help my situation at all? Does anyone know what I have to do in order to get this ball rolling? For some reason I think it might be better to apply for a permit in upstate ny rather than in the city because that might be an instant denial just because they dont want anyone carrying in the city.

Default Re: How to obtain a New York carrying license?

(Westmoreland County)

NY has one of the worst permit systems in the nation. Judges are the issuing agents and you have to convince them you "need" a permit.

Unless your family has some political influence, your chances are probably slim to none.

(Monroe County)

According to that website, in order to carry in NYC you must have an NYC license... That to me implies if I get my license anywhere else in the entire state of NY that I cannot carry concealed anywhere within NYC limits. To me this doesn't make much sense that a city can create its own carry license, thats up to the state.

(Lehigh County)

I hate to burst your bubble but a LTCF in NY is almost impossible to get.

The only for sure way to get one is if you own your own business and transport cash.

You can get a permit to keep it in your house but thats gonna cost you in between $600-$800 dollars and a whole crap load of paperwork AND that is ONLY to keep it in your house, YOU CANNOT CARRY YOUR FIREARM WITH THIS PERMIT AT ALL.

There really strict about who get's a carry permit in NY.
    I know becuase I used to live in NYC and tried to get mine before I moved to PA.

I spoke with the NYPD department that handles the permits and what I was told is what I posted above. I don't know how it is upstate, but I would expect it to be similar.

It might have changed now, but I highly doubt it, they have always been strict about it.

I am so glad I moved to PA.

I hope this helps.

AG

(Monroe County)

I've got some family members who are nypd, i wonder if this will help any at all.

(Susquehanna County)

Hired Goon did you solid when he gave you the Orange County site. But there are many things you need to know.

1. A Pistol License (that is its' official name) is available as a license to carry pistol or as an "on-premises" license for business use. In any event, YOU MAY NOT own or possess a pistol (handgun) in NYS without a license. There are no exemptions to this except for certain LEOs.

2. Don't even think about bringing your handgun to NY and keeping it in your apartment! Mere possession of an unloaded pistol is a misdemeanor, and a loaded pistol is a felony.

3. Licenses are issued by County Judges and the judge may set any conditions he wants to the license. For example even though the state law that controls licensing does not mention restricting licenses to hunting and target shooting only, or setting expiration dates (the licenses are supposed to be issued for life) the judges do it anyhow and they have already been upheld in suits against them by NYSRPA. IIRC the exception to this is NYC, Suffolk County and Rochester that require license issued by or endorsed by thier Chief of Police. These provisions are written into the state law. So if you decide to domicile outside of NYC during your time at CUNY and succeed in getting a license you may not carry in NYC.

4. If you live outside of the city and if you succeed in getting a license, you may only possess what handguns are listed on your license! When your license is issued you will also recieve a "permit" to purchase one handgun. That purchase must be reported to the pistol license clerk and that specific pistol will be listed on your license by make, & serial #. You must request permission from the issuing judge for any subsequent handgun purchase(s). Typically, you go to the gunstore, put a down payment on the gun, then send in the request and wait for the purchase coupon, then when permission is granted and you have the coupon in hand you go back to the store, make final payment and pick up the gun. Then finally you have to get the new gun added to your license. If you move, within the county of issue, you have 10 days to report it to the pistol license clerk and get an addendum. If you move to a different county the records get transferred from one County judge to your new county judge.

So that is basically everything I remember from 30 years of dealing with NYS licensing and I must say on that issue I am glad I now reside in PA. But one question remains, are you sre you really want to go to John Jay? Doesn't Penn State have a similar program?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I've got some family members who are nypd, i wonder if this will help any at all.

I'd use any means nessesary to try to get a permit, even if it means calling all my relatives
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Indiana County)

Call all the relatives you want. IT WON'T DO YOU ANY GOOD!

Over on Open Carry dot Org in the New York State forum, they had an ex-NYPD cop complaining about all he could get was a premises license. And he was a police officer!

At the New York border they should put up a sign:

ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE

Bottom line? You will become one of many defenseless citizens should you move there.

(Jefferson County)

Brick pretty much described it to a T.

It is a mix on getting a permit to carry in New York State. Some counties make it impossible to get, some are somewhat "Shall Issue"(sorta like Kalifornia). Only a New York City permit is good within The Big Apple.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast