Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default I smell a lawsuit coming...

www.mcall.com/news/local/all-3pburg.6570473sep01,0,3480209.story
    themorningcall.com

Too real? P'burg disaster drill scares teachers

Gunfire, tears: School officials ask whether surprise Columbine scenario went too far.

By Matt Assad
    and Jarrett Renshaw Of The Morning Call
    September 1, 2008

The teachers could hear the gunman's shots echoing through the hallway as they dove under tables and behind desks.

While some of the more than 100 Phillipsburg School District teachers calmly tried to recall their disaster training, others sobbed uncontrollably, wondering if their school was the next Columbine.

As it turned out, that scene last Thursday at the district's Early Childhood Learning Center was only a drill, but by design, most of the teachers didn't know that.

This week district officials will be debating whether their attempt to prepare district teachers was a little too realistic.

''We will undoubtedly have some discussions this week about that drill,'' said teachers association President Barbara English. ''Everyone reacts differently, and this was a very scary thing for some teachers.''

The drill, conducted with help from Phillipsburg police, was conducted to prepare teachers during their three-day in-service period before students arrive Tuesday. English said she was guaranteed that it would never be done with students in the building.

Acting Superintendent George Chando said the drill is in its second year, but he'll have to evaluate whether there will be a third. Some teachers were so upset that a school counselor was put on call over the weekend, in case teachers needed him.

According to Chando and teachers, the drill began shortly before 3 p.m. Thursday, as a pistol-wielding man wearing a wig and sunglasses entered the school while most teachers were in the library for a workshop.

Just after a voice over the public address system announced the school was in lockdown, an intruder teachers described as ''scruffy'' briefly entered the library to toss papers around, but then exited into the hallway, where he fired several blanks.

The teachers took cover, and several wedged library books into the door to prevent the intruder from returning.

Police and administrators were warned of the exercise, but except for a few pregnant teachers who were notified as a precaution, the rest were not warned.

Elementary teacher Trisha Stem said she figured it out quickly because her sister went through the drill last year at the middle school. Others could see police in the hallway from their hiding places.

Still, many thought it was real, Stem said.

''Most of the teachers near me figured it out,'' Stem said. ''But there were some teachers crying. They were pretty upset.''

During the debriefing after the drill, teachers were told they reacted well, English said, but some said they didn't appreciate being terrified.

English knows that feeling. She was alone in her middle school classroom when the gunman entered during last year's drill. As union president, she heard word of the drill in advance -- and still she was brought to tears.

''You hear the shots and see the gunman. Whether you know it's a drill or not, it's very scary. It was just awful,'' English said. ''It's a very emotional experience, but one designed to help prepare us.''

Still, English said this week she probably will ask administrators to begin giving some warning. She said a compromise might be to warn teachers that a drill may be conducted during their in-service period, but without telling them which building or which day.

''In the end, this is all designed to help us protect our kids,'' English said. ''We'll be talking about how this was done and why, but we will continue to protect our kids.''

matthew.assad@mcall.com

610-559-2148

Copyright © 2008, The Morning Call
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Monroe County)

Default Re: I smell a lawsuit coming...

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    www.mcall.com/news/local/all-3pburg.6570473sep01,0,3480209.story
    themorningcall.com

Too real? P'burg disaster drill scares teachers
    '

During the debriefing after the drill, teachers were told they reacted well, English said, but some said they didn't appreciate being terrified.
    They reacted well?? They cowered in fear, and if kids where there and it was real, they would have let the gunman kill how many kids while pissing themselves? WTF......Granted until I am in that situation its hard to pass judgment but, I would like to think that I would have tried to bring the guy down somehow.........

(Cumberland County)

things like this that could actually happen are why teachers need to be able to carry sidearms i know id feel better if they did

(Westmoreland County)

WOW. I heard about a drill on TV but they never said it was going to be this.

They're *very* lucky some teacher wasn't carrying and took the "gunman" out.

How would that have looked?

"Philipsburg police officers bluff was called when an armed teacher shot and killed him during a preparedness drill that emulates a school shooting incident. Teachers were not aware of the drill. Philipsburg police arrested the armed teacher and beat him. Other teachers are calling the man a hero."
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Luzerne County)

This was a terrible idea, on so many levels.

Thank God no one was injured or killed due to this.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lycoming County)

Ironically, I believe the authorities' actions warrant being charged with Disorderly Conduct. Unless scaring the be-jesus out of these folks is a "legitimate purpose". I do not see that it was.

Be safe.

Scott

(Pike County)

Drills like this that are not announced are utterly crazy. Every one of these people that where in this that did not know SHOULD sue.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    WOW. I heard about a drill on TV but they never said it was going to be this.

They're *very* lucky some teacher wasn't carrying and took the "gunman" out.

How would that have looked?

"Philipsburg police officers bluff was called when an armed teacher shot and killed him during a preparedness drill that emulates a school shooting incident. Teachers were not aware of the drill. Philipsburg police arrested the armed teacher and beat him. Other teachers are calling the man a hero."
    x10, except for the last line. The other teachers would call him a monster. Most teachers are Michael Mooresque wimps.

(Luzerne County)

The whole damn world is going crazy! I remember hearing about something like this, but it was done for a DUI scenario, with the kids hearing that their classmates had DIED while they were in class. The "adults" who were *ahem* teachers went along with it.
    Now, the main problem I have with this latest story is what everybody's saying - what if a teacher had bucked their liberal programming and actually found solace in carrying concealed? Wonder if there would have been return-fire from the cops? Hmmmm...
    BUT, I also have one other teensie weensie problem. My Mother was a teacher, some years ago, federal program. Anyway, she had a heart problem- would skip a couple beats when those old firebell alarms would go off. AND, she KNEW when the drills would be- of course, the principal would share that with the teachers. Even so, she would get quite a jump. Never knew she had a hole in her heart until several years later.
    These idiots only informed the pregnant women?? Okay, there's where your first lawsuit should be filed. Get em on discrimination. Were there ANY males in the bldg who had/have/are prone to ANY heart disorder, stress disorder, cardiovascular (BP, etc)... well, why weren't THEY warned ahead of time?
    You telling me that the union head being aware is MORE important than anybody with a condition?? Dang right you smell a lawsuit!
    I'm pretty sure the only reason they want these kids to stay inside and cower, sorry, lockdown, is so they don't end up shooting your kid when they come out after all the shots are fired and the cops go in. I honestly think they'd be better off running out the nearest exits/windows. You get enough kids running out, you have less chance of the bozo actually hitting them- instead of sitting in a pickle jar waiting to be picked off...

(Allegheny County)

Child Abuse. Yep I see a whole lot of lawsuits coming from Parents on this one. You internally traumatized my child. She, He is scared for life. 20 million should help my child to get though this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast