Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default OMG It Works!!! Scratched DVD

My call of duty 4 cd has been scratched, and getting worse and worse as for being unreadable so I tried nearly everything to repair it: even the peanut butter method.

Today I decided to go to my parents house to go shooting, and I forgot my seeing glasses so I basically wasted my ammo, but the good thing is that I found brasso, which is often noted by many sources to be the last resort for making cds readable.

Well after I polished my dvd with it, and put it into my xbox to install onto the hard drive it's now nearly completed (said 100%).

I nearly wanted to bash my head into my desk, because of this stupid problem.

There you have it: Brasso works for repairing scratched cds, dvds (dual layered) so this is a big relief, and great success - handy bit of info.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: OMG It Works!!! Scratched DVD

Did you try the toothpaste? That's normally my go to as it has some mild abrasives.

I've found that a 12Ga fixes the trouble of them causing you stress because they won't play....

You never attempt to play the fragments, trouble solved!

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Lebanon County)

I aint got the creamy stuff. I have this green jelly stuff that taste like double mind gum, and has mouth wash beads. I was advised on using crest only, and i'm on a budget. I got 19 dollars to my name, because I just spent 4 dollars on this pick for cleaning gums. I've been looking for the fucking thing for like a year.

(Northampton County)

Just get Bluray. It has a fairly effective anti scratch coating on it. We tried scratching one at Blockbuster by throwing it across the store (when there were no customers) and bounced it off the tops of the racks. After doing that for about 20 minutes you could barely see scuff marks on it. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

(Lawrence County)

Please Note: The poster was issued a warning for this post.

AAAAAAAACTUALLY... the way i fix scratched games/movies, is pretty simple....

Take it to blockbuster, or your local video rental shop and see if they have one of those disk doctors there. If so, take it there and have them see if they can't clean it for you. Maybe that would work too... it did for me.

(I under no circumstances suggest doing anything that I have posted in the message above... do not follw my lead because some think it's immoral. I am merely pointing out what I do in a given situation. please use your own GOD GIVEN judgement when reading things i have posted. don't ban me again.)
    Last edited by Bmarshall91; March 25th, 2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Description of illegal behavior removed
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Allegheny County)

Try making a back up CD/DVD of ones you can't be without...
    Toujours prêt

(Delaware County)

I have always used either car wax or dish soap...both have worked great for me...remember, always clean a disc from the center out, not in a circular motion.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    always clean a disc from the center out, not in a circular motion.
    I've heard this to, but found it not to be true. CD/DVD's are nothing more than a piece of clear plastic with the actual data on the top side covered by a reflective material. The area that typically gets scratched (the bottom side) is very thick. It only has to be clear and flat for the laser to pass through to read the data layer. How you clean it is irrelevant as long as it's clear and flat when you are done. I've repaired 100's of Laser disks, cd's and DVD's using plastic poilsh and a soft rag. And I've rubbed "one small area" where the scratch was for 30 minutes or more to remove difficult scratch's. IIRC, I've never failed to repair a disk by this method (some of the laser disks I fixed cost around $150 back then, and were the size of a LP record).

Here's the stuff I've been using for 14 years:

Novus (#2) Plastic Polish:

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=113

Last edited by Hawk; March 25th, 2009 at 12:13 PM.
    Toujours prêt