Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Magazines

(Chester County)

Default AR Magazines

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good brand of AR-15 magazines?

I'm mostly looking for reliability and durability -- something that can last the lifetime of the rifle without needing more than spring changes (I don't want to be dealing with bending feed lips or cracks in the magazine or anything like that).

Cost isn't a huge issue -- I'd prefer to spend more and have a mag that lasts forever.

Thanks in advance.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: AR Magazines

I too would like to know this, and how often are spring changes needed?

(Erie County)

Magpul's PMAG seem to be very popular for the reasons you stated.

Durable, well suited for storing loaded, etc.

Finding them could be the biggest problem with them. It will depend on how fast you want them. I have an order in with a dealer friend but have no idea when those will arrive. I've seen them on gunbroker.com but they are usually sold as a ten pack for $200 or so and I don't really want 10 as I have a whole box of standard issue mags.
    Last edited by CoyoteJack; March 1st, 2009 at 09:06 PM.
    "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can become deadly projectiles." - Unknown.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations on a good brand of AR-15 magazines?
    Brownell's.

I'm mostly looking for reliability and durability -- something that can last the lifetime of the rifle without needing more than spring changes
    No such magazine exists.

(I don't want to be dealing with bending feed lips or cracks in the magazine or anything like that).
    Then get a bolt or lever action.

Cost isn't a huge issue -- I'd prefer to spend more and have a mag that lasts forever.
    No such magazine exists.

P.S. In spite of the hoopla surrounding P-Mags, every professional I know still prefers aluminum mags and of current production, Brownell's has the best reputation.

P.P.S. Recall my comments about Nighthawk.

(Chester County)

Rule, my PMAG's and Lancer mags seem to be pretty G2G.

Let me know if you wanna borrow them, I think you'll find them worth while.

The poly mags seem to take abuse a little better than the aluminum tubes...but they are all disposable, in a sense. You can put some rubber floorplates on, a magpul follower in, extra power springs in......but when the tube fractures or the feedlips crack/ spread...it's time to shit-can it.

The PMAG's don't fit in pouches as well, and they are not a 100% fit with every lower out there...but work with just about every in-spec lower.

I'm going to keep stocking up on Lancer mags and PMAGs...I want to add a few TangoDown mags when they become available, too.

Brownells, D&H, etc...with a magpul follower..I'd use em.

(Blair County)

Brownells and CP in metal for 12 to 14 bucks can't be beat.

Not to say I don't own any p mags or will own in very near future Tango Down new offering, but the mil spec metal works fine.

None last forever

Brad
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

(Westmoreland County)

I have had good luck with Lancers. Got mine from botach tactical for $15. the other week on special.

D&H are the shizz. I have used them from Bravocompanyusa for several years. They make them for several companies like Bushmaster. You can get them in 3 colors and with or without a magpul follower for only 1$ more. They have a us gov identity stamp on them. I paid like $13 for my last ones with a black finish and grey magpul follower. They also will sell them by the 1, 10, or 100 case.

Brownells are good to, but a little more money.

(Chester County)

Thanks guys, just bought a 10 pack of Brownell's.

synergy: Remind me to bug you to bring the PMAGs/Lancers to the range next time, I'll try them out. If they work well in my AR I'll buy a 10 pack of those, too.

Just bought another 10 Glock full caps, as well.

Can't have too many, these day, for obvious reasons. I didn't really believe the campaign promise to respect the second amendment, I just didn't think he'd do it so quickly or so overtly, you know? Seems like a guarantee to flip Congress right back red like in '94.

Anyway, now I'm out a good $400 or so.

And I suppose I'll be buying 10 rounders for IDPA to avoid f'ing up my full caps, too.

Bah. I'm going to go grind my teeth and sulk.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    And I suppose I'll be buying 10 rounders for IDPA to avoid f'ing up my full caps, too.

Bah. I'm going to go grind my teeth and sulk.
    Dude, time comes you need 10 rounders, they'll be available.

Ask Ted sometime, one of the most common causes of malf at matches is magazines not being fully seated.

LAV even recommends downloading all Glock mags by 1....

Just food for thought.
    I'll bring those mags in next time I'm there and leave em with the Hulk.

(Bedford County)

I hear nothing but good things about the P Mags, but I find myself sticking with what works in my rifles. I use the Brownells 20 and 30 rounders.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast